BIG hands vs. SMALL hands...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Front

Supreme Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does size matter in Dentistry? :D

how about when it comes to extraction cases? do BIG hands handle better over small hands - when using an extraction tool?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Big hands with hotdog fingers will probably not be something that helps out in the long run. Whatever you gain in grip on a cowhorn, you'll likely end up having to tone it down in order to not fracture crowns off. Smaller hands have a definite advantage when it comes to placing inlays, crowns, and implant pieces

this is a funny ass question..and a even funnier response..

am i being immature or is hand size actually a serious topic?!!

Members don't see this ad :)
my dad has the biggest hands you'll ever see and he does just fine.

it's not the size of the ship, but the motion of the ocean baby.

I have been told that smaller hands are more advantageous than large ones: the smaller digits are more adept at fitting into a patient's mouth and patients generally prefer them to sausages. All in all I don't think your hand size is as crucial to your success as a dentist as say your manual and especially your interpersonal skills.

I heard dentists with big peniXes have an easier time performing their tasks.

If you're worried about the size of your hands, study hard and apply for Ortho. Then, you can hire attractive assistants with smaller hands. That way, when you point, your larger hand is visible from further away. You won't even have to leave the coffee pot. To increase visibility, you can always tape the tips of your fingers, like a high school football coach calling plays. It's a win-win situation...

ItsGavinC said:
Extraction tool? LOL.

But seriously, elevate, elevate, elevate.

ok.... the elevator! - with the forceps.

It maybe ok to get away operating with big hands on adults, how about on kids and people with small mouth? I am sure this probably happend to someone in the past. :rolleyes:

OMFSCardsFan said:
If you're worried about the size of your hands, study hard and apply for Ortho. Then, you can hire attractive assistants with smaller hands. That way, when you point, your larger hand is visible from further away. You won't even have to leave the coffee pot. To increase visibility, you can always tape the tips of your fingers, like a high school football coach calling plays. It's a win-win situation...

:laugh: :thumbup:

ItsGavinC said:
Extraction tool? LOL.

But seriously, elevate, elevate, elevate.

I've rarely used elevator unless working on root tip and wisdom teeth. Most of the time, 151, 88 or cowhorn should work just fine. :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
HuyetKiem said:
I've rarely used elevator unless working on root tip and wisdom teeth. Most of the time, 151, 88 or cowhorn should work just fine. :) :)

You don't elevate at all? The secret to quick and easy extractions is to elevate--the forceps ought to simply deliver the tooth.

ItsGavinC said:
You don't elevate at all? The secret to quick and easy extractions is to elevate--the forceps ought to simply deliver the tooth.

Rarely. I did more damage to the interdental papilla by using elevator. Don't take me long to pull any tooth by using forceps anyway, normally less than 2 mins.

HuyetKiem said:
The 151 is the most worthless forcep ever designed...an Ash, Cowhorn, and 150 are the only forceps worth purchasing.

OMFSCardsFan said:
The 151 is the most worthless forcep ever designed...an Ash, Cowhorn, and 150 are the only forceps worth purchasing.
The Ash is the shiznit.

HuyetKiem said:
Rarely. I did more damage to the interdental papilla by using elevator. Don't take me long to pull any tooth by using forceps anyway, normally less than 2 mins.

Really, how many extractions could you have done being only a 2nd year dental student?

El Guapo78 said:
Really, how many extractions could you have done being only a 2nd year dental student?

Too many to count. I did 24 surgical and simple extractions this week including 2 wisdom teeth (1 was partially erupted). One of the senior at my school has done more than 2000 extractions in the past years.

HuyetKiem said:
Too many to count. I did 24 surgical and simple extractions this week including 2 wisdom teeth (1 was partially erupted). One of the senior at my school did more than 2000 extractions in the past years.

Which dental school are you currently attending? Juz curious....

I have big huge hands that sweat profusely. I envy classmates with petite hands that maneuver effortlessly inside patient's mouths. I on the other hand ripped open my mannequin's mouth on both ends.

Reminds me of the Seinfield episode where jerry's dating the woman with large hands. T :laugh: he look on jerry's face was priceless.

HuyetKiem said:
Too many to count. I did 24 surgical and simple extractions this week including 2 wisdom teeth (1 was partially erupted). One of the senior at my school has done more than 2000 extractions in the past years.

If you don't mind me asking, is this all in clinic at Case? I didn't know we got to do those type of procedures in our second year. Or did you get to do the procedures volunteering somewhere else?

OMFSCardsFan said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1992Corolla said:
my dad has the biggest hands you'll ever see and he does just fine.

it's not the size of the ship, but the motion of the ocean baby.

Yea, this is why you were born, and posting here now.

How many years do you think you have before your hands go??!

AhhPuller said:
How many years do you think you have before your hands go??!

gOOd question......would like to see some replies on that

Small hands with short fat fingers= no good
Large hand with short fat fingers= no good
Small and Large hands with skinny long fingers= easier for the dentist GOOD!

What about banana hands? (big hands w/ fat fingers)