Bio...bio..bio... :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kies89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before i study for DAT
i know ochem and bio will give me a lot of headaches..

i have really weak background for ochem.. and bio is just too much information

After i started studying for DAT

i realized OCHEM is really doable. and i really gained confidence.

But while i was reading cliffs and taking notes, i just felt like there is no way i cannot contain all these information.

when you guys were studying for bio section,
did you guys take notes literally every bold words?
and also, i am on Animal form and function chapter on Cliffs,
and all these information are just too detailed that i dont know how to contain these information... should i just carefully read and try to understand everything
and just memorize Alan's notes and start doing destroyer?

I am so depressed right now.. :'(

Members don't see this ad.

YOu and I are probably in the same chapter lol! Well here is what i have done! I read everything and highlighted the most general topics... Then i am going chapter by chapter again and typing down a massive study guide that i will be editing the next two months of my life. I haven't taken the DAT and i know for sure that the real test its not going to be so in depth. THe cliffs AP is made to be just about biology, not all natural sciences. Therefore students are responsible for mastering all the material. But the DAT is just 40 questions, of overall biology, which if they were so in-depth people would struggle a lot more. I plan on mastering this book!!! if i do then the easier stuff would be just easier lol. Imagine if we could run before walking... how easy would it be to walk? You are not the only one that is thinking that... i am too! but if other people have done it so can i and so can you! Not everyone is able to attend dental school, because not everyone is willing to give their lives to a book. And that is what i am going to do, give my life to this book until i feel good with EVERYTHING! ITs just a really good book, and i will take advantage of that.
Good luck, we are probably in the same stage of the DAT preparation... we should get in contact! FB?

Don't be depressed! It's really not that bad. I suggest doing Cliff's Bio at least twice through. Personally, I didn't take any notes and I did pretty well on the Bio section of my DAT. It was more based on general concepts than exact memorizing of details.

After doing Cliff's a few times, try the Destroyer Bio problems. I got about a quarter of them wrong my first time through, but you learn from your wrong answers. Do Destroyer again and you'll be all set for the DAT! Have confidence and keep your spirits up!

I agree... Bio is a lot of information to retain... How soon is your exam? If you have enough time, how about trying some different study methods? I can never memorize off of text based information. So, for dense material like biology, I normally make concept maps and diagrams that will help me remember everything visually. This really helped me ace my bio exams in the past :D Hope this helps and all the best! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
When you go through it the first time, it seems there are a lot of material to digest. But, the second and third time would be much easier. I used cliff notes for all the sections except animal form and function. Cliff does not cover that section very well. Use Schaums for physiology.

I only used destroyer for bio. What I did was make note cards for all the questions I missed. It took forever and I ended up running out of time with it so I started going through the answer section and typing up notes from it. Then I would go over note cards and read over the notes as much as I could.

The amount of information you could be asked is massive, but I think if you can at least recognize things you'll be fine. There were a couple questions I got lucky on and knew right away, some that I was able to use process of elimination on, and some that I had to just guess on. If you run into some you don't know, keep trucking. If you manage your time well you'll be fine, and you will know a lot of the questions if you're studying well.

Good luck!

I can only offer words of encouragement: If you thought that Ochem is doable, then Bio is doable too. The thing about bio is that there is a lot of info...and no one would be memorizing everything. First focus on the main themes (ex: metabolism) and then go over the material that isn't frequently asked about in the DAT.

Cliffs a d Schaums should prepare you for bio. They have plenty of review concepts and questions. Also, a great way tk study fkr verbal is to read forbes or NYTimes or Scientific American. If you have a smart phone, you can get it for free from google currents.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk