Bio, chem or something else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phytodoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm an adult student. I have a certification in botanical medicine from a trade school, so I'm an herbalist. I'm frustrated by lack of regulation, and available continuing education in the field. I'm specifically interested in phytopharmocology research, and am considering going the pharmacy route. With my interests in research, specifically in plants, do you think the best undergrad is bio, chem, biochemistry or something else? Do you think pharmacy school is eventually the right way to head, or maybe a master's in pharmacology? There's not a lot of information out there specific to my goals, any help and advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm an adult student. I have a certification in botanical medicine from a trade school, so I'm an herbalist. I'm frustrated by lack of regulation, and available continuing education in the field. I'm specifically interested in phytopharmocology research, and am considering going the pharmacy route. With my interests in research, specifically in plants, do you think the best undergrad is bio, chem, biochemistry or something else? Do you think pharmacy school is eventually the right way to head, or maybe a master's in pharmacology? There's not a lot of information out there specific to my goals, any help and advice is appreciated!

My original interest was research in plants too so I would definitely say stick to biology-based majors. Chemistry tends to gloss over anything related to medicine and even more so plants and biochemistry is much more protein and DNA based. Pharmacy schools prepare people to become pharmacists (ie drug and their reaction with the human body experts). I think you should look into pharmacology graduate programs rather than pharmacy schools.

Reactions: 1 user