bio classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amad01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm chem major applying after this semester and I have no upper level bio. I have only taken intro bio and cell bio at a CC before transferring to Uni. Am I screwed? My plan was to just put biochem on my "future coursework" and then take it if accepted to any school that required it... thoughts anyone

Members don't see this ad.

I'm chem major applying after this semester and I have no upper level bio. I have only taken intro bio and cell bio at a CC before transferring to Uni. Am I screwed? My plan was to just put biochem on my "future coursework" and then take it if accepted to any school that required it... thoughts anyone
Yep, listing it as future coursework is fine. But pretty much every school I've applied to requires two semesters of upper level bio. Are you sure one will be enough for the schools that you are applying to?

Last edited:
Depends on the school really. Some schools require them some don't. If you have time, I'd try to squeeze them in somewhere just to save yourself the headache.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, listing it as future coursework is fine. But pretty much every school I've applied to requires two semesters of upper level bio. Are you sure one will be enough for the schools that you are applying to?

Requires or recommends upper level bio? I only know of Ohio State that REQUIRES some upper level bio classes like biochem and anatomy. Which schools require two semesters of upper level bio?

Requires or recommends upper level bio? I only know of Ohio State that REQUIRES some upper level bio classes like biochem and anatomy. Which schools require two semesters of upper level bio?

University of Arizona - Phoenix requires an upper division Biology and Physiology.

Neither. You're right, sorry. I'm just thinking about my own situation. I took credit for AP Bio, so I had to substitute in two semesters of upper level bio at pretty much every school I applied to. Most people don't have to do this.

University of Arizona - Phoenix requires an upper division Biology and Physiology.

I understand some schools have a specific class or two they require such as biochem or physiology, for those schools I could find out before applying and put in future coursework I assume? But I don't know of any that flat out require two random upper division bio classes.....

I was actually planning on applying there... I hope they cool about future coursework

I was actually planning on applying there... I hope they cool about future coursework

They are. They allow you to put "will take in the future." You just have to finish it before matriculating. I suggest getting the MSAR and looking through it. You can look up schools and see what they require and whatnot.

They are. They allow you to put "will take in the future." You just have to finish it before matriculating. I suggest getting the MSAR and looking through it. You can look up schools and see what they require and whatnot.

I have the MSAR and that is why I am confused by people claiming schools require upper div bio when the majority of the schools don't say that.

You are right. The majority of schools don't require it. There are only a few that do. Although more and more schools are slowly starting to add upper division bio along with some humanities class due to the changes to the MCAT.

You can totally do it. I did what you are planning to do, and I am a chem major as well. I received a couple acceptances pretty early on, so schools don't seem too worried about it in general.

You can totally do it. I did what you are planning to do, and I am a chem major as well. I received a couple acceptances pretty early on, so schools don't seem too worried about it in general.

cool thanks for your reply... almost freaked out and dropped thermodynamics for some bio class... I just don't really want to spend time and money on a class I don't need for my major unless absolutely necessary

Yeah showing them PChem is much better anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile