Bio On DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g3k

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wish to know what classes are needed to do well on the bio section on the DAT?? Bio I, BioII what else?

Members don't see this ad.

g3k said:
I wish to know what classes are needed to do well on the bio section on the DAT?? Bio I, BioII what else?

you only bio 1 and bio 2, but it is recommened to have bio-chem. anatomy and phisiology.

physiology will help u tremendouslyyyy!!! half the kaplan book is physiology. Endo exo crine systerm, nervous system, repiratory etc etc etc. and oh ya cell bio helps alot too. anatomy u dont need. Bio chem is helpful if u suck at repiration but its easy to learn via kaplan. I took those classes got a 25 on the bio.

g3k said:

you just need 1 year's worth of general biology but although not required, taking classes like biochem, physiology, cell bio and other "upper-div" classes will definitely help you perform better on the DAT. there are so many different questions they can ask you on the bio section that it's good to take higher-level bio classes and reinforce your knowledge gained from general bio. although i am a bio major, i thought that the bio section was harder than g-chem and o-chem sections on the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
superman said:
you just need 1 year's worth of general biology but although not required, taking classes like biochem, physiology, cell bio and other "upper-div" classes will definitely help you perform better on the DAT. there are so many different questions they can ask you on the bio section that it's good to take higher-level bio classes and reinforce your knowledge gained from general bio. although i am a bio major, i thought that the bio section was harder than g-chem and o-chem sections on the DAT.

I don't know about that... I haven't taken the DAT so I can't be certain. But it all boils down to how much time and effort you spend on a particular subject.

786mine said:
I don't know about that... I haven't taken the DAT so I can't be certain. But it all boils down to how much time and effort you spend on a particular subject.

if you havent taken it then your reply is meaningless, right?

GENERAL TSO said:
if you havent taken it then your reply is meaningless, right?

No not really... read the send half of my replay.

as a followup question... i'd like to ask if kaplan's biology review is sufficient. if not, what parts of biology should i brush up on outside of kaplan.

also, is the kaplan practice test (in biology, as well as all the other sections and subsections) a good indication of the real DAT... or is the real thing easier/harder...??

Hi,
I was wondering whether Kaplan gre subject tests (such as biology, chemistry) could be another good source for practice?. Anyone have thoughts on that?. thanks.

speaking from my experience of taking the Kaplan class, practicing with Topscore, graduating from college with a biology degree, getting a good score on the DAT, and getting accepted to dental schools, i would say the Kaplan book is a very useful overview of biology and the Kaplan Subject Tests are very useful. and, as i said in my previous post, there are so many different questions they can ask you, so taking "upper-div" biology classes will only help you reinforce your knowledge. also, i'm sure MCAT/GRE stuff, different DAT materials, college textbooks, notes, etc. will help. just saturate yourself with a lot of bio and be prepared for the broad range of questions that will be asked on the biology section. good luck guys. :thumbup:

organichemistry said:
as a followup question... i'd like to ask if kaplan's biology review is sufficient. if not, what parts of biology should i brush up on outside of kaplan.

also, is the kaplan practice test (in biology, as well as all the other sections and subsections) a good indication of the real DAT... or is the real thing easier/harder...??

kaplan's biology review is a good overview but there are a lot of different questions they can ask you on the DAT. reading just the Kaplan book is insufficient. if you're taking the Kaplan class, DEFINITELY take advantage of the Kaplan Subject tests as well as the Kaplan practice tests.

is the Kaplan practice test a good indication of the real DAT? easier/harder? yes and no. it really depends on the test you get. as i mentioned before, there are a lot of other questions that can be asked on the bio section. just get your hands on a lot of bio material and study it in addition to the Kaplan stuff. good luck. :thumbup: