1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Bio

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Glycogen, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Glycogen

Pre-Dental
    Which of the following would be catabolized after a one day fasting period?

a.Glucose
    b.Fructose
    c.Polypeptides
    d.Galactose
    e.Triglycerides

I have the answer to the Q,but I can not follow the logic behind it.So,I want to know what you guys would choose first!
    Please,explain your choice.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    would it be e, Triglycerides?

Logic: Because your body does not have glucose from eating, therefore it would go to fats, esterification would give you 3 fatty acids and a glycerol, fats give more energy than glucose per gram....

Let me know if this is right....

4. Glycogen

Pre-Dental
    This is exactly what I choose and seems to make sense but the correct answer is c!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
    I think polypeptides will be the last source that body will count on maybe after 10 days of fasting or so!
    Do you think so!

5. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    where did you get this question from?

And yea thats completely wrong....the order i think is carbohydrates, fats, proteins

6. Orgodox

Dental Student
    I think it would be E. Without food the body would break down glycogen and fat and eventually break down its own protein. Triglycerides are an energy source and glucogon would signal their breakdown and then it could be used for energy? Did it say c? I think that might work too because breaks down own proteins but not sure if that kicks in after 1 day

7. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    let me guess this question is either from barrons or kaplan...

8. Orgodox

Dental Student
    Yea that was my second choice wasnt sure if 1 day though same thing I thought.

9. Glycogen

Pre-Dental
    From Princeton review.

10. Sea of ASH

if you fast then you got no carbs, theres no question about that. then your body goes on its reserve and fats are broken down cuz they got 9 kcal/gram. the energy demand for the body is so great that that amount is not sufficient. thats when it starts to break down proteins (4 kcal/gram). i guess thats an explaination for it....

but in reality this also depends on the metabolism rate, % body fat, sex, age, BMI.... lol i used to go to the gym baaaaaaaack in the day hahahhaa

11. Selso2109

Dental Student
    Some amino acids are capable of being precursors in gluconeogenesis, breaking down polypeptides could make these amino acids available for entry into gluconeogenesis. Fat breakdown wouldn't occur until later, or it would be co-occuring. I'm not digging through my biochem notes for the exact terminology, but I think this may be what's happening.