Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycogen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following would be catabolized after a one day fasting period?

a.Glucose
b.Fructose
c.Polypeptides
d.Galactose
e.Triglycerides

I have the answer to the Q,but I can not follow the logic behind it.So,I want to know what you guys would choose first!
Please,explain your choice.

Members don't see this ad.

would it be e, Triglycerides?

Logic: Because your body does not have glucose from eating, therefore it would go to fats, esterification would give you 3 fatty acids and a glycerol, fats give more energy than glucose per gram....

Let me know if this is right....

would it be e, Triglycerides?

Logic: Because your body does not have glucose from eating, therefore it would go to fats, esterification would give you 3 fatty acids and a glycerol, fats give more energy than glucose per gram....

Let me know if this is right....

This is exactly what I choose and seems to make sense but the correct answer is c!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
I think polypeptides will be the last source that body will count on maybe after 10 days of fasting or so!
Do you think so!

where did you get this question from?

And yea thats completely wrong....the order i think is carbohydrates, fats, proteins

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be E. Without food the body would break down glycogen and fat and eventually break down its own protein. Triglycerides are an energy source and glucogon would signal their breakdown and then it could be used for energy? Did it say c? I think that might work too because breaks down own proteins but not sure if that kicks in after 1 day

let me guess this question is either from barrons or kaplan...

Yea that was my second choice wasnt sure if 1 day though same thing I thought.

if you fast then you got no carbs, theres no question about that. then your body goes on its reserve and fats are broken down cuz they got 9 kcal/gram. the energy demand for the body is so great that that amount is not sufficient. thats when it starts to break down proteins (4 kcal/gram). i guess thats an explaination for it....

but in reality this also depends on the metabolism rate, % body fat, sex, age, BMI.... lol i used to go to the gym baaaaaaaack in the day hahahhaa

Some amino acids are capable of being precursors in gluconeogenesis, breaking down polypeptides could make these amino acids available for entry into gluconeogenesis. Fat breakdown wouldn't occur until later, or it would be co-occuring. I'm not digging through my biochem notes for the exact terminology, but I think this may be what's happening.