Biochem and Adcoms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mastamark

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am taking the MCAT in May and I plan on applying next cycle(june). I am kind of worried because I heard adcoms like to see some upper division sciences such as Biochem, which I won't be taking until Fall. Do you guys thin this will postpone my application consideration?

I have been a paramedic for 5 years, a paramedic preceptor for a year, my GPA is on the low side 3.2(might pull it up to 3.35 after this semester), and I am a URM. I only plan to apply to DO schools and have a deep desire to do primary care. Do you all think my lack of upper division science will destroy my chances at even an interview? :scared:
BTW I will have all of my pre-med recs done:Bio, Orgo, Chem and physics.

Members don't see this ad.

My grades are about the same as yours. 3.4/3.2sGPA but I took a ton of upper levels. I really don't know. I'm sure that if you have a solid app I don't see why they wouldn't consider interviewing you.

If you get a 27 or so on the MCAT I think you should be fine. BTW, I applied to 5 schools, interviewed and accepted at 2.

I would think that if your GPA comes up, you do well enough on the MCAT, and with your experiences, you shouldn't have any problem getting interviews, particularly if you apply early. Once you get some interviews, if you're still concerned about your science classes, you can do what I did; in my interviews, one of the questions I asked my interviewers was what classes they recommend I take to better prepare me for medical school. I think it shows that you are interested in becoming even more knowledgeable and prepared for what med school will throw at you. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I am taking the MCAT in May and I plan on applying next cycle(june). I am kind of worried because I heard adcoms like to see some upper division sciences such as Biochem, which I won't be taking until Fall. Do you guys thin this will postpone my application consideration?

I have been a paramedic for 5 years, a paramedic preceptor for a year, my GPA is on the low side 3.2(might pull it up to 3.35 after this semester), and I am a URM. I only plan to apply to DO schools and have a deep desire to do primary care. Do you all think my lack of upper division science will destroy my chances at even an interview? :scared:

I took Biochem after I applied to med school. You can always update the schools when you register for the classes.

Thanks guys. I was in the middle of one of my "freak out" episodes. I am really stressing about this working out. I am not getting younger and I have a lot invested in this undertaking.

I took the MCAT this past August and then I took biochem in the fall as a senior. You need to take it for some schools (UNECOM) but it won't slow your application during the cycle. Just tell them you completed it once you are done. I think you will be fine, just nail it and show them you can do upper level classes.

Hello everyone,

5 year paramedic! URM! forget getting in? your gonna get scholarships!

Thanks guys. I was in the middle of one of my "freak out" episodes. I am really stressing about this working out. I am not getting younger and I have a lot invested in this undertaking.

glad to know that there are at least a couple of us. At least those of us who admit to it.

5 year paramedic! URM! forget getting in? your gonna get scholarships!

thats funny.:laugh: