Biochem/Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faith100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you suggest taking either Biochemistry or Genetics with second semester Organic Chemistry? The one that I don't take with Orgo I will take alone the following semester after I take the MCATs...so also which is more useful for the MCAT biochem or genetics

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say biochem is more useful. A lot of molecular genetics is on the mcat which seems to be found in our Voet biochem text. With biochem you go over the whole DNA thing, sort of a gen chem review, and bio (acidosis and alkatosis was on my mcat, and we learned a lot about this in biochem).

Best Wishes!

Angel

Genetics is showing up more and more on the MCAT, so both classes would be useful in my opinion.

I had both before I took the MCAT, but if I were in your shoes, I would take biochem. Genetics, as far as the MCAT is concerned is *cake* to learn the basics. Biochem, is a broader scope, and will benefit you more for the MCAT because you aren't guarenteed to get certain questions, like you are for genetics.

Just my opinion, but take biochem prior to MCAT, if you can't take both.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can only take one or the other during your college career, take biochem. If you can take biochem at a later time, take genetics now and biochem further along in your studies. This way you will be less stressed out.

It's a wash. Both are useful, neither is so vital as to screw you if you don't do it. Just go with your gut.

I would say genetics. I had a lot of genetics on my MCAT (which I hate). If I were doing it again, I would take genetics first. Good luck. :thumbup:

MCAT genetics = family inheritance charts + punnet's (sp?) squares. It's easy stuff, no class required (gen bio barely required)

Biochem is widely useful on the MCAT, b/c it goes a level deeper on a lot of topics than gen bio or orgo alone.

However, taking Biochem and orgo together could be a rough ride, depending on how tough the courses are at your school. You might also be responsible for things early on in biochem that you won't learn until later in the semester in orgo, depending how much your Biochem professor digs reaction mechanisms.

So as above posters noted, you could go either way. If you're looking at it from strictly an MCAT-prep standpoint, I think Biochem is a no-brainer.

A very wise professor at the University of Illinois once said, "Biochemistry is everything". I think this is true. I think you can hit several MCAT areas with one stone by taking biochem. :thumbup:

If you have to pick between the two, genetics is the way to go.

I have to stress the importance of Biochem for the MCAT. There is just so much more detail that the MCAT covers in biochem than in genetics.

The genetics for the MCAT is EASY to learn... very very simple ideas, trust me.

Don't schools typically have BioChem I and II? Are you guys referring to having just 1 semester or 2 of Biochem. Looking over the chapters they cover, it seems you'd really want to take both if you can.

Also, genetics could make some of the passages easy to go through, since you'd cover most of the experimental techniques - PCR and such.

Definitely biochem. I don't know how it is taught at your school but at my school the first quarter biochem course includes a review of enymes kinetics, acid/base chem, etc.etc.etc. All of things I learned in my biochem class were useful for studying for the Physical and Biological sections of the exam. Genetics is only good for the Bio section (my MCAT test form had 1 free standing problem, I think). Taking a genetics class for a whole semester/quarter may teach you too much material for the MCAT. You may be able to get away with just looking at the AAMC topic list and studying Genetics on your own. It really isn't that hard. Good luck!

faith100 said:
Would you suggest taking either Biochemistry or Genetics with second semester Organic Chemistry? The one that I don't take with Orgo I will take alone the following semester after I take the MCATs...so also which is more useful for the MCAT biochem or genetics

Thanks!

Taking classes to help you on the MCAT is great... as long as you can still ace those classes. Organic chem is usually a pre-req for biochem. Make sure that you are confident about this decision before you make it. Just my two cents. ;)