Biochem Grade timly issue, Advice Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyb32

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It appears that I am possibly receiving a C, in biochemistry this semester. This was my last semester senior year and now I now i wil be applying for admission into the 2009 class. I withdrew my application last year due to a not so great MCAT score. Okay, now apart my mcat issues, I may have a bad grade to deal. My question is, will having a C in biochemistry pretty much screw all my chances of being accepted? Overall i have a 3.4GPA which might drop slightly. and I am retaking the mcat May 31.

If anyone is able to offer me insight about how drasticlly this C will affect me, because i am comtemplating a couple ideas. Maybe I can request to not graduate and RE-TAKE the class next spring. So i will still be applying but end up going back to school for one class next spring. I guess that will mean nothing to adcoms at that point in time because obviously decisions are made during the call. Okay, this is obviously not a good thing and i have no truly wounderful justication for why i received a C, but i do believe it is not representative of my work whatsoever. Should i try to RE-TAKE the class at another insitution this summer and have that transcipt added to my amcas later in summer?? If anyone has any ideas please do offer insight.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were in your shoes...
1. I'll focus on doing better on the MCAT. If I do well enough on the MCAT, I'll forget the C and apply. People have gone to med schools with Cs.
2. If I don't do well in the MCAT, Ill consider taking postbacc classes to boost GPA. But I will not retake Biochem just because i got a C in it. Ill take new, interesting classes upper div Science and I will focus on doing well in them.

Just my gut feeling.

First off, you don't have the C yet. So all of this is conjecture. If you do get a C, that alone will not tank your app. You said it's not representative. If the rest of your transcript (and particularly your pre-req classes) were Bs and above, you're fine. Ditto with if you do well on the MCAT. If I were you, I'd just focus on doing well on the MCAT, write good essays, get great LORs, apply early, and cross your fingers. If you end up getting a C, meet with a pre-med advisor at your school and ask if they recommend that you retake the class or not. If that class is not a pre-req at the schools you're applying to, you probably don't need to retake it. But if you feel you do, just graduate, and then take that one class as a post-bac. You can then update schools with the new better grade during your application year.

Point is, you'll be fine. Just breathe, and try to raise the grade up. If not, it's not the end of the world. If the rest of your app is solid (ECs, essays, LORs, MCAT), that one C is a drop in the bucket. Good luck.