Biochem -- list as future course on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slopes23

Parlors & Poop Shoots
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am finishing my first gap year, and will be applying for the first time now in June. I have not taken Biochem, as when I was in college although recommended it was not required at many schools. Now it seems there are a fair amount of schools that I am interested in applying to that require it. My thought process is, if I get into a school that requires it and I decide to matriculate there, or if I am on the wait list and no acceptances, I will take it next year in the Spring semester. By the same toke, I would prefer not to have to take it as I am working.

My question is, should I list it as a future course to be taken on AMCAS, but then possibly not take it? Or should I not list it but take it if I need to? If the latter, would this screen me out of schools that require it because it is not listed as a future course.

Worst comes to worst, I will just list it and take it either way to avoid complication but wanted to get some thoughts from the all mights SDNers.

/thread.

Members don't see this ad.

You are in no way obligated to take a course that you have listed as current/future. Just list it and take it before matriculation if it's required. If it's not required, don't take it. Simple as that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in basically the same situation and was wondering if applicants missing one pre-req when they submit their the application are still given full consideration, or is this viewed as a big negative?

I'm hoping the answer is that not having taken biochem won't jeopardize my application, but be honest if that's not the ecase, especially the adcoms/attendings out there! I was a bio major with 40+ credits of bio (just not biochem!) if that makes any difference. @gyngyn @LizzyM @Goro Thanks!

I'm in basically the same situation and was wondering if applicants missing one pre-req when they submit their the application are still given full consideration, or is this viewed as a big negative?

I'm hoping the answer is that not having taken biochem won't jeopardize my application, but be honest if that's not the ecase, especially the adcoms/attendings out there! I was a bio major with 40+ credits of bio (just not biochem!) if that makes any difference. @gyngyn @LizzyM @Goro Thanks!
We really don't have a preference. Just do it before orientation.