1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Biochemistry/Organic Chemistry II

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Walleye, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Walleye

Walleye Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Would it be difficult to take Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry II at the
    same time? Organic Chemistry II is a prereq for Biochem and if I could get them both in by next May, I can apply early. This fall I would take Organic Chem I and Histology. Thank you for any help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mlle

mlle Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    if orgo is a prereq for biochem, then how are you going to take both at the same time? I tried it, and I was doing orgo lab at the same time, as well as physics and physics lab. It was HARD. I wouldn't do it, really I wouldn't.

4. jmac44

jmac44 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It wouldn't be easy, but I assume you're applying for the 2008 cycle for the class of 2012. If that's the case, don't worry about it. You only have to have the classes finished before you matriculate, not before you apply. For example, I was taking Biochem after I applied and while I was getting interviews.

5. rchuloholla

rchuloholla Probationary Status
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i did orgo II and biochemI at the same time and it was HARD... but i still got A's in both classes :D

MedSchoolB likes this.
  6. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

Yes, it will be difficult. No, it is not impossible.

7. Walleye

Walleye Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks. This is a big help. The U of MN told me that if I didn't get Biochem by May that I would be put in the general admissions group, not the 30 that they take from early admissions. The school would allow me to take both courses at one time, but it looks like it would be a nightmare. Perhaps better to get a better grade and take my chances on general admissions.

8. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

It may be a nightmare. Don't rush... enjoy your classes and get good grades. In the end, you will be glad you did. :)

MedSchoolB likes this.
  9. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Organic II and Biochem II aren't bad together. Biochem II deals with a whole hell of a lot of mechanisms as does Orgo II. I feel it was like taking calc with physics. They can complement each other if you got a good head on your shoulders.

MedSchoolB likes this.
  10. Resonance

Resonance Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think it is easier to take Biochem after Org II, but not imperative. So I think it depends on the other classes you would take in the spring. Also, the U doesn't always take 30 early admissions, that is just the most they will take.

11. dontbam

dontbam Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    for sciences major, taking biochem + ochem II together is nothing, i remember my friends and I taking 3 sciences classes together + GE class on a quarter system all while doing club, volunteer, etc.

Take it easy and dont kill yourself, i took two biochem classes /w pharmacology + GE in the same quarter and i almost died !~if you can handle it, do it, if not then DONT!! duhh!

12. xxJuiceDxx

5+ Year Member

I don't think it would be too hard. Difficult to manage time to study for both classes as they both require lots of study time, but not hard as in the subject material. Then again, some people breeze through Orgo and struggle with Biochem, and vice versa. I thought Biochem 2nd semester was a f'n joke, though the material was rather interesting to study and learn. Orgo 2nd semester, just like the 1st, requires lots of memorization and study time. But if you do well in 1st semester, you should do fine in 2nd. Good luck. :thumbup: