Biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EVN3331

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you guys recommend taking Biochemistry in order to prepare for the DAT. Also do any dental schools require you to take Biochemistry? Thanks.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." -Vince Lombardi

Members don't see this ad.

Taking biochemistry won't put you at a huge advantage for the DAT. However, it will help you a lot for Dental school and the admissions process. I know many schools want to you to take upper level classes prior to matriculation, but most do not. But why just do the bear minimum. You're going to take it in Dental school so might as well get into it right now. It would look super if you could ace biochemistry (B+ or greater) and go to your interviews. They won't even bother asking you about your shortcomings in general chem or o-chem (not that you have any). Hope this helps.

DesiDentist

It isn't that im trying to avoid taking Biochemistry. Actually I am trying to take it at one point (I currently am a Soph.) but I'm kind of behind classwise. This is my problem, I didnt start taking required courses by Dental Schools until last semester, and it was only Biology because I didnt declare my major (Biology) until second semester. So I am going to take some summer classes next year so I will have the prereqs so I can take a few upper level bio classes junior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Evn
Have you taken Ochem yet? I think Ochem is required for Biochem. In any case, I think Biochem will help somewhat with studying for the DATS. Especially glycolysis and krebs cycle because you will know those cycles backwards and forwards by the time you are finished with Biochem.
If you want to take upper division Bio courses, I would recommend Physiology, Genetics, maybe Evolution, and Ecology...

Beagle is right. Yea O-Chem is required for Biochem. Moreover, upper level courses like Genetics and Physio. will really help you on the DAT.
GOOD LUCK

I agree with Streptococcus! (sorry if I shouldn't be calling you by your first name, Mr. mutans--you doer of bad deeds, you creater of lactic acids, you dental devil!!)

I, too, had biochem. before I'd had enough Ochem. Not fun.

It depends on the school. At my college, every biology major took Biochem & Organic (second semester) at the same time, and it didn't seem to matter. Then again, we were taking a biochem designed just for bio majors (no lab involved) so that may have had something to do with it. You have to take Biochem in dental school; those who had taken it in undergrad seemed to have an easier time memorizing and understanding the material than the students who were taking it for the first time in dental school - so it is probably not a bad idea to take it.

Thank you guys very much for all your input, it has helped me a lot.

Evn,

i agree with beagle - having taken Biochem I the semester before my DAT cut out huge amounts of study time for the DAT because I had just spent weeks memorizing every step and rxn. in the metabolic cycles for class (let's be honest - it's easier to master that kind of memory work when you have regular quizzes/exams on it before you have to suddenly spit out one of the steps for the DAT). You'll have to take biochem in dental school anyway - and if you've already taken it before, that'll be one less stressor your first year. Additionally, I was told during my interviews that having taken human anatomy would be a huge help during the first year as well, since that is apparently the class many Dent I students have problems with...

you won't be able to work in every single "suggested" course before you get to dental school (otherwise you'd spend 8 yrs as a pre-dent), but from what I've experianced and heard, biochem and anatomy are two of the biggies you should try and fit in.

good luck! :clap:

From the Tufts d-school website:
Although Biochemistry is not currently a requirement, the Admissions Committee recommends that students take it before enrolling. One semester (or four credits) of Biochemistry will be required starting with the 2002-2003 application cycle.
I believe the new school in Nevada also requires it....maybe some other schools too.

For those that care Indiana Univ. REQUIRES Biochem before matriculation. And as already stated so does Nevada

take Biochemistry, UCLA requires it