Biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xdianaax

In memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question, so i'm registering for classes and I want to take biochem...here's the thing though, i'll have orgo 1 under my belt but not orgo 2, my school's pre-req is 1 & 2 but my advisor said she'd wave it for me if I feel comfortable doing it. So from your previous experience how much of orgo 1 or 2 did you see in biochem, do you think I need both or that I can get away with just 1? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the school and how the course is taught, but as far as my personal views are concerned, orgo 1 should be enough. Orgo 2 at my school was just building on the first semester of material and learning more of the same, sooo, yeah, I think you should be good with just one.

I have a question, so i'm registering for classes and I want to take biochem...here's the thing though, i'll have orgo 1 under my belt but not orgo 2, my school's pre-req is 1 & 2 but my advisor said she'd wave it for me if I feel comfortable doing it. So from your previous experience how much of orgo 1 or 2 did you see in biochem, do you think I need both or that I can get away with just 1? Thanks!

Almost none. The little orgo we did cover could easily be learned on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really almost no orgo? So why the heck do they require all the pre-req's under the sun? :confused:

Biochemistry is simply the organic chemistry found in biological systems. You are, therefore, going to find yourself with a lot of (organic) chemical structures that you are unlikely to have seen before, and for some, this may be too overwhelming. For this reason, the recommendation is to take biochemistry after 2 semesters of organic. You might, however, be able to get permission from your biochem professor to take them concurrently. Some students have taken biochemistry concurrently with organic chemistry I and have had no problem.

Honestly, I did more gen chem in biochem than I did orgo. The respiratory buffer system, acid/base rxns, enzyme kinetics, enthalpy, etc. I hate gen chem.

Wow, biochem without any orgo? Taking biochem and orgo 1 together, not even orgo 2? So it can be done?

Depends on your biochem professor. If he's the structural, mechanisic, physical thinker type, then you'll need to understand more than fischer projections for carbohydrates, which was Orgo I for me. If like me, you end up having a professor who is a physical thinker, he'she will make you physically draw structures and their proximal relationships to deduce patterns (such as the old question, why would paper me more jagged when you rip it in one direction, compared to another direction). If that's the case, then you'll be in a hole for not having taken orgo II. Best advice I can think of, would be to ask old students of the different professor(s) of the course, and get their advice.

they said it. biochemistry stuctures are very confusing if you don't know how to explain their chemical components. my biochem professor asked us questions about the structures and he expected us to know what happens if the structure changes by adding or removing a molecule.

they said it. biochemistry stuctures are very confusing if you don't know how to explain their chemical components. my biochem professor asked us questions about the structures and he expected us to know what happens if the structure changes by adding or removing a molecule.

That was orgo 2 for me :thumbdown:mad:

i took the first biochem class of the series with only orgo 1 and 2 (we have three orgo classes), and it was enough. don't be mistaken though...biochem is a ton of orgo...plenty of electron pushing and mechanisms...you need atleast some orgo before taking on biochem

I am already take my biochem with Pro. Bates and i think you dont need much ochem to do well in this class. Personally i think LS 2 helps a lot since this is all about krebs cycle.

Depending on what level biochem you dont need to know any orgo. Just simply memorize structures and what they do in the body. I just took graduate level biochem 1 and I hardly used ANY orgo (rxns, etc)

i took biochem before i took ochem. it was a corequisite at my school, but i got out of it. you won't need it...and i did pretty well in biochem