Biology Lab Credit

felixbyu

7+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
  1. Medical Student
    Hi all,

I graduated last year without any general bio labs. However, I took an anatomy lab (1 credit) instead. Most schools require "8 credits of biology with lab", and I have the following credits. Would I be ok?

3 credits of General Biology
    2 credit of General PD Biology
    3 credits of Anatomy
    1 credit of Anatomy lab

zzxxzz

5+ Year Member
    Jan 13, 2012
      By "8 credits of biology with lab" they mean two 4-credit biology classes and two 1-credit biology labs. I think schools would say you have zero bio lab credits.

Also, what's PD biology? Did you take a full year of biology? (i.e. bio 101 and 102) Any upper-level biology?

About the Ads

felixbyu

7+ Year Member
      Nov 20, 2013
      Kalamazoo, MI
      1. Medical Student
        I attended two schools, and I'm not a life science major.. I didn't decide to study medicine until not long ago. I've submitted my application with U of Utah on my list because it doesn't require bio labs, and I'm in-state.

First school:
        General Biology - (3) Biol 1010
        Human Anatomy - (3) Biol 2320
        Human Anatomy lab - (1) Biol 2325

Second school:
        Physiology & Developmental Biology - (2) PD Biol 120 (Basically another general biology)

peudamour

"[I pledge] my life to the service of humanity"
        May 15, 2014
        Georgia
        1. Pre-Medical
          I attended two schools, and I'm not a life science major.. I didn't decide to study medicine until not long ago. I've submitted my application with U of Utah on my list because it doesn't require bio labs, and I'm in-state.

First school:
          General Biology - (3) Biol 1010
          Human Anatomy - (3) Biol 2320
          Human Anatomy lab - (1) Biol 2325

Second school:
          Physiology & Developmental Biology - (2) PD Biol 120 (Basically another general biology)

I guess that's another scenario. You could look for schools that don't require the GB labs. Or you could just take the labs...

felixbyu

7+ Year Member
          Nov 20, 2013
          Kalamazoo, MI
          1. Medical Student
            Thanks.. I guess I'll call each school and ask for specific requirements on this. I took biochemistry so I am qualified for Utah at least.. but I may just take a lab class in the fall for next year.

U of Utah
            Biology:
            • 2 courses - 1 course must be in cellular biology or biochemistry.

zzxxzz

5+ Year Member
            Jan 13, 2012
              You aren't going to like this, but it looks like your biology requirement isn't complete. Unless PD Biology covered different material than the 1010 (i.e. it was the second part of a sequence) you're looking at having an incomplete biology lecture requirement as well as your lab requirement. You generally can't substitute A&P for general biology, and, for all intents and purposes, it looks like you might've just taken the same course twice...

Also, verify that PD Biology is what Biology majors take, and not a class for non-majors.

felixbyu

7+ Year Member
              Nov 20, 2013
              Kalamazoo, MI
              1. Medical Student
                but the problem is.. my university doesn't have the standard two-semester gen biol like most colleges do..

We only have these 100's courses:
                BIO 100 - Introductory course for general education students. (My first BIOL 1010 credit is accepted as BIO 100 at my 2nd school)
                BIO 130 - General biology course with laboratory for biology majors.
                BIO 165 - Introduction to basic concepts in bioinformatics. Standard bioinformatic applications.
                BIO 175 - General biology lab for non-major
                PD BIO 120 - General biology course designed for biological science majors.

peudamour

May 15, 2014
                Georgia
                1. Pre-Medical
                  I don't know anything about U of Utah and OOS applicants, but you may want to invest in an MSAR to make sure its worth applying there.

So, the GB course that you took included a lab then? In that case you would at least have one lab credit. To my knowledge, it doesnt have to be a seperate lab course, just General Biology lab credit. Even if you take a 4 credit GB course, they will usually include a seperate lab grade on your transcript to show that you have lab credit.

Your best bet may be to do that extra GB lab course and also call schools and see if you would have an exception since your school doesnt offer a two course GB sequence with lab or just take General Biology 1 and 2 with Lab at another university. I would call first though before wasting money, time and effort.

felixbyu

7+ Year Member
                  Nov 20, 2013
                  Kalamazoo, MI
                  1. Medical Student
                    I already bought an MSAR and eliminated all schools that I don't qualify for.
                    My PDBio is a 2 credit class, but it includes 2 hours of lecture and 1 hour of lab weekly.

I guess I'll really have to call each of them and hopefully the admission offices would understand my situations...

zzxxzz

5+ Year Member
                    Jan 13, 2012
                      but the problem is.. my university doesn't have the standard two-semester gen biol like most colleges do..

We only have these 100's courses:
                      BIO 100 - Introductory course for general education students. (My first BIOL 1010 credit is accepted as BIO 100 at my 2nd school)
                      BIO 130 - General biology course with laboratory for biology majors.
                      BIO 165 - Introduction to basic concepts in bioinformatics. Standard bioinformatic applications.
                      BIO 175 - General biology lab for non-major
                      PD BIO 120 - General biology course designed for biological science majors.

The bigger issue is that you took gen ed Bio...you'll have to verify with each school whether they'll accept that. I'd be surprised if many do...

peudamour

May 15, 2014
                      Georgia
                      1. Pre-Medical
                        I already bought an MSAR and eliminated all schools that I don't qualify for.
                        My PDBio is a 2 credit class, but it includes 2 hours of lecture and 1 hour of lab weekly.

I guess I'll really have to call each of them and hopefully the admission offices would understand my situations...

That sounds like a good place to start. I hope you have success.

About the Ads
                        This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        7. This thread is locked.