This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth knockn

Treat others how you want to be treated
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

So Dental schools require Biology as a prerequisite, General Biology 1 and 2 usually fill this pre-requisite.

Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 DO NOT FULFILL BIOLOGY REQUIREMENT 1 AND 2 at all dental schools.

I will add more later, like which schools do not accept AP 1 and 2 as a BIO pre-req.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand what's so funny. I think this is good information.
Schools generally require 8 credits of biology for their prerequisites. A&P 1&2 would provide that. Logic would say that those two courses would meet the requirement. Tooth is telling us that not all schools accept these 2 courses as meeting the requirement, which is good to know for folks who were expecting otherwise.
Am I missing something funny here?

Reactions: 1 users
Yea they'd rather you learn about plants than human anatomy? Makes zero sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yea they'd rather you learn about plant than human anatomy? Makes zero sense.
Ok gotcha. Yeah, that's pretty dumb.
Honestly I thought they were just giving tooth a hard time for no reason.

Reactions: 1 user
But at the end of the day...
filepicker-sgehqpyis5ejcux7ynid_apples-and-oranges.png

Last edited:
I don't understand what's so funny. I think this is good information.
Schools generally require 8 credits of biology for their prerequisites. A&P 1&2 would provide that. Logic would say that those two courses would meet the requirement. Tooth is telling us that not all schools accept these 2 courses as meeting the requirement, which is good to know for folks who were expecting otherwise.
Am I missing something funny here?
I always read in the requirements sections, very clearly stated, "2 semester of general biology". Therefore, this post its funny to me because I thought it was soooo common sense to know that you need general bio.

Reactions: 3 users
What qualifies as a general biology class?? My school offers no bio class called general biology

dont ever change tooth knockn

What qualifies as a general biology class?? My school offers no bio class called general biology
It would be the bio 1 for science major. Or ask your advisor.;) But A&P is far away from being General Biology. Not even 5% of that is cover in the DAT. So, ...

I always read in the requirements sections, very clearly stated, "2 semester of general biology". Therefore, this post its funny to me because I thought it was soooo common sense to know that you need general bio.
That's the whole point of his post. You can substitute A&P because many schools require 2 semesters of biology, meaning they must be courses taught by the biology department.
The same goes for physics, it must be taught by the physics department. They don't care if you took physics 1, or calculus based physics. As long as it isn't astronomy.
The same goes for statistics, which must be taught by the mathematics department, not the business dept.
Then you start getting into the weeds with Biochemistry. Some schools require it. Some schools don't, but will take it in lieu of Organic II. Others schools also consider it based on what department teaches it (biology vs. chemistry).
It would be the bio 1 for science major. Or ask your advisor.;) But A&P is far away from being General Biology. Not even 5% of that is cover in the DAT. So, ...
You're right, less than 5% of A&P is on the ENTIRE DAT. But it does make up a significant portion of the Bio section. I don't know about your exam, but mine was majority A&P, with the rest being ecology, plants, and phylogeny.
Also, taking the class is not a requirement to take the DAT.

All tooth is saying is that every school has different requirements, and A&P does not fulfill the biology requirement at every school; he is correct. You are implying that Biology I & II/General Biology is a requirement for EVERY school, which is not correct.

Give the guy a break.

Its stupid when some schools don't even have 2 gen bio classes... like mine

Members don't see this ad :)
One wonders what sort of institutions offer A/P without bio as prerequisite.

But at the end of the day...
filepicker-sgehqpyis5ejcux7ynid_apples-and-oranges.png
Good thing these were labeled.

That's the whole point of his post. You can substitute A&P because many schools require 2 semesters of biology, meaning they must be courses taught by the biology department.
The same goes for physics, it must be taught by the physics department. They don't care if you took physics 1, or calculus based physics. As long as it isn't astronomy.
The same goes for statistics, which must be taught by the mathematics department, not the business dept.
Then you start getting into the weeds with Biochemistry. Some schools require it. Some schools don't, but will take it in lieu of Organic II. Others schools also consider it based on what department teaches it (biology vs. chemistry).
Not all schools have a physics, chemistry, bio or math "department".

So far I can confirm that

Touro
Pittsburgh
Michigan
Detroit

Do not accept - A&P as a Biology course to fulfill their Biology requirement.

The coming weeks I will add more schools,
But along the way, I noticed that the Application Review Process Is NOT Holistic, AT ALL..... Most schools I communicated with go By the DAT 1st, then GPA, then IF your lucky and the reviewer is feeling good, the application will go forward for a review for an Interview. . . .

General Biology is such a "general term" to be used as a classification of a REQUIRED PRE-REQUISITE ! , For these dental programs whom rake in MILLIONS of DOLLARS per year, Why not put an asterisk and provide EXAMPLES. .. . .

the more I communicate with some of these Dental Schools, I sense a disorder and lack of humanism and respect towards the student. . ..

And the students are whom who pay their bills. . . .

Whatever, to me it is still common sense. In my school, A&P is not even for bio majors. If you are a bio major and want to take that, you need permission from the dean. I'm out.:yawn:

Whatever, to me it is still common sense. In my school, A&P is not even for bio majors. If you are a bio major and want to take that, you need permission from the dean. I'm out.:yawn:
That's how it was at my school too! You could take physiology but not A&P as a BMS major. It's why I'm randomly taking anatomy online even though I graduated awhile back.

Lol its common sense? It's your interpretation, and the world does not revolve around YOUR school. Every school is different.
As you can see above, @rmarder has come across this issue as well. But it seems that YOUR common sense outweighs that of the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine.
Besides, what does being a bio major have anything to do with completing prereqs?
Bye. :hello:

One wonders what sort of institutions offer A/P without bio as prerequisite.

Good thing these were labeled.

Not all schools have a physics, chemistry, bio or math "department".

I don't wonder at all. Some schools teach A/P I&II, while others teach Anatomy, and Physiology individually. Some require bio as a prereq, some don't.
For example, USC offers Human Anatomy without a prereq, and Oklahoma State offers A/P without prereqs.

And no, not all schools have bio, chem, physics, or math "departments"
But courses are still assigned a discipline, according to their nomenclature. In the context of Biochemistry, it can be classified as BIO####, or CHEM####.
Thank you for clearing that up doc. SDN would be lost without you.

Anatomy is not a prerequisite because the scope of UG is not comparable. Most of what you are taught is grossly oversimplified at that level now if you are going to be OMFS like me you should probably just know it all going in which means take the class, buy a Netters and memorize it. Anatomy is the study of structure biology is the study of life they are not the same thanks

Last edited:
Touro - via email
Pittsburgh - over the phone
Michigan - over the phone
Detroit - via email
Meharry - over the phone
NYU- email ( they would accept MICROBIO and BIOCHEM to fulfill BIO pre-reqs (?))

Touro - via email
Pittsburgh - over the phone
Michigan - over the phone
Detroit - via email
Meharry - over the phone
NYU- email ( they would accept MICROBIO and BIOCHEM to fulfill BIO pre-reqs (?))
Hey buddy.