Bizarre Reaction to Spinal (OB)

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by acidbase1, Sep 5, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Hey gents, so I had a bizarre reaction during one of my cases the other day. Called a few people back at the program and nobody had ever heard of anything like this before.

G1P0 presents for scheduled primary CS 2/2 CPD. No PMH, no issues with pregnancy. Perform CSE, small 81kg about 5'6 tall, procedure goes without any issues don't even have to redirect tuohy. Gertie marx needle goes through perfectly, CSF comes back, give 11.25mg 0.75% hyperbaric bupivicaine with 10mcg of fentanyl. Thread catheter, no heme/CSF ect ect.

After taping catheter in place, I notice she has more motor than i am typically accustomed to. I check levels, nothing other than "her feet feeling tingly". I then give 5 cc 2% lidocaine through the epidural catheter. Shortly thereafter patient begins complaining of terrible HA, begins vomiting, and blood pressure is 250/120. I then notice her HR slowly begins to drop from 100's to 80's to 60's to 40's than goes asystolic from what I'm assuming was a vagal/baroreceptor reflex from the elevated BP. Patient begins convulsing from lack of cerebral blood flow. About 5-10 seconds later patient regains consciousness, is A&O x 3, but still complaining of severe HA. We check FHT's which are then depressed so we go to sleep for crash CS. Before going to sleep I checked repeatedly for adequate hand strength which was intact/strong, even though I knew high spinal was unlikely. I even rechecked catheter for CSF/heme throughout the case, nothing.

Baby is delivered, APGAR 8 and 9. I wake mom up and she complains of absolutely NOTHING, no N/V, not even a mild HA. She has T4 levels and is perfectly comfortable in PACU. I get a stat non contrast CTH, everything is normal. Check patient again next day, absolutely nothing wrong.

Anyone have a similar case?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Twiggidy

Twiggidy ASA Member 2+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2015
    I wonder if it could be related to rebound intracranial hypertension. Although you weren't doing a blood patch, you were giving epidural meds and then getting the symptom profile as a result. It's a stretch.

4. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2002
    Beantown
    Local Anesthestetic Systemic Toxicity? LAST Somehow occurred during the Epidural Bolus and you got a systemic Cardiovascular collapse? Cure for which is CPR and Intralipid?

5. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    With 5cc of lidocaine (100 mg) and 12 mg of marcaine? The same thing crossed my mind during the procedure but didn't seem plausible

6. xd2005

xd2005 10+ Year Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Been a lurker for years, but attending at academic practice for a couple of years now, do a fair chunk of OB.
    Also as bizarre, but possible subdural marcaine + epidural injection raising ICP and exacerbating "level" of marcaine? Cushings made worse by the seizing/vomiting. Props in keeping your cool tho. :)

7. CaliCatheter

CaliCatheter 2+ Year Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Plain lido or did it have epi?

8. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Plain lidocaine. I also thought a lot about the possibility of a subdural injection, however, the fact that I had good bilateral T4 levels postoperatively makes this unlikely.

9. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they? SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    I vaguely recall discussing this in another thread ...

For c-sections, you routinely give 1.5 mL of the hyperbaric bupiv from the kit, and do a 3 mL epidural test dose (presumably with 1.5% lido + epi), and give 5 mL of 2% lido?

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me (still). I can't connect the dots between that weird protocol and this weird case, but weird begets weird ... :)

If it was the epi making her hypertensive she wouldn't get bradycardic.

I'm not buying LAST from 145 mg of lidocaine, even if 100% of it went intravascular, and that wouldn't cause hypertension anyway.

Consider a drug error/swap (i.e. a big phenylephrine bolus)?

gasmark, SaltyDog and nimbus like this.
  10. Ezekiel2517

Ezekiel2517 Anesthesiologist 10+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2005
    CA
    Physician
    Could have nothing at all to do with your spinal or epidural. It seems like everything that happened is a result of the pressure being super high. Figure out why the pressure was so high.

Twiggidy likes this.
  11. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member Lifetime Donor SDN Administrator 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Physician
    1 mg phenylephrine was given instead of 100 mcgs.

12. Twiggidy

Jan 13, 2015
    all plausible regarding drug errors, but never mention giving Neo

13. pgg

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    After 1.5 mL of intrathecal hyperbaric bupiv chased with 8 mL of epidural lidocaine ... of course he gave some neo. ;)

14. nimbus

nimbus Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2006

Or neo 10mg instead of reglan 10mg

Wiscoblue likes this.
  15. Twiggidy

Jan 13, 2015
    what low budget hospital doesn't have pre-mixed Neo?!:)

IlDestriero likes this.
  16. pgg

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    Mine :yeahright:

narcusprince likes this.
  17. nimbus

Jan 13, 2006
    We got premixed neo about 10 years ago after a similar incident.

18. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Hold up, I don't routinely give lido or lido with epi test dose. I typically give the spinal dose and that's it 99/100 times.

The only thing I do different than you is reduce my spinal dose for the pregnant patient

19. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I didn't give anything IV except glycopyrolate (regarding phenylephrine)

20. Orin

Orin 7+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2009
    If you rules out common things, it sounds like a robust Cushing reflex secondary to intraspinal hypertension.

I'd be interested in an MRI of the L-spine but purely for academic purposes.

Gasmonkey, pgg and teacher2md like this.
  21. FFP

FFP Grunt, cog, body, pompous ass Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2007
    That one is a killer. Literally. I am not sure one could recover the patient from that mistake.

acidbase1 likes this.
  22. nimbus

Jan 13, 2006
    How long did it take for her BP to come down? Did you have to give anything? It still sounds like neo overdose. Did the nurses give any "reglan"?

23. nimbus

Jan 13, 2006

It is surviveable.

MalloryWeiss and pgg like this.
  24. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member Lifetime Donor SDN Administrator 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Physician
    Yep

25. Twiggidy

Jan 13, 2015
    A vial? Really? Not that I ever want to see it.

26. pgg

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    Gotcha, I misremembered from the other thread. :)

I don't know then.

I kind of like the Cushing theory above.

acidbase1 likes this.
  27. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    No, I sat there and watched everything unfold without giving anything. I asked for hydralazine (didn't have any handy) but by the time it got there we were asleep. I titrated down her BP with my anesthetic and it was controlled from there on out

The only thing I gave was 0.4 of glycopyrolate for the bradycardia.

28. pgg

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    Yeah

One of our M&Ms years and years ago was for a phenylephrine drug swap. Not just a dilution error ... a whole 1 mL vial of the 10 mg/mL stuff.

I guess there's only so hard your arterioles can squeeze before they can't squeeze any more. And if your other organs can handle it for a couple minutes ... healthy humans are hard to kill.

29. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I definitely felt like it was a Cushing response from the get go. Why the interspinal HTN though? I discussed the case w a neurosurgeon and he commented on a possible preexisting intracranial pathology like a saccular aneurysm or mass. The aneurysm theory was debunked with the normal CTH. No mass either.

30. nimbus

Jan 13, 2006

Yep I've attended 2 such M+M's at 2 different institutions. Both patients did fine.

31. FFP

Oct 17, 2007
    The one I was told about had died.

I always wonder WTH is the FDA doing by not outlawing these concentrated vials, except for compounding pharmacy use. Same for the insulin vial, or the big epi vial outside of jet syringes for codes etc.

But, hey, we need a black-box warning for droperidol. :bang:

Wiscoblue and pgg like this.
  32. pgg

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    They were too busy wringing their hands delaying approval for sugammadex and taking droperidol away from us.

Lecithin5 and FFP like this.
  33. nimbus

Jan 13, 2006

The FDA decision makers are not familiar with anesthesia workflows and I doubt they even consider preventing drug swaps to be part of their regulatory mission. We often get random changes in vial cap colors without any notice or warning depending on the latest deal our pharmacy makes. And our perfusionists do use the concentrated vials.

As for insulin I always order a 1unit/ml drip from our pharmacy if I'm going to give any. I don't trust myself with U100....feels like a loaded gun.

34. Planktonmd

Planktonmd Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Nov 2, 2006
    The South
    A big bubble of air most likely entered the intrathecal space while you were doing the epidural and caused a pneumocephalus, which explains all the symptoms you mentioned.

caligas likes this.
  35. FFP

Oct 17, 2007
    I wouldn't swear for that. I have seen a very similar picture after a peripheral nerve block (it may have been an interscalene) done by one of my very experienced colleagues in the PACU, except we never got to the profound bradycardia/asystole and seizure part, because I promptly treated the hypertension, and then the symptoms went away. It was very strange to see the BP go to 220 in a couple of minutes in a normotensive individual (she also got very nauseous), especially since it happened after a while, not during the block (which was with ropi and traces of epi). It was also in a childbearing age female, like here. We have no idea what happened.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  36. nimbus

Jan 13, 2006
    That would show up on CT.

SaltyDog, acidbase1 and FFP like this.
  37. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Anothing thing I discussed with my attendings. No air was in the spinal dose

38. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Keeping the Forces of Entropy at Bay 10+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Closer to Mexico
    Off topic #1: Why a CSE for a primary C/S on a normal sized chick??

Off topic #2: with regards to the survivability of the vial of Neo bolus, in residency a CRNA gave 4mg of Levophed to an otherwise healthy patient in pre-op thinking he drew up Decadron. Needless to say, hilarity ensued - but the guy lived largely unscathed.

IlDestriero, anbuitachi and ZzzPlz like this.
  39. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Why CSE? Flexibility and duramorph.

FPOBs are slow and this was a PPTL

40. SaltyDog

Aug 10, 2007
    Closer to Mexico
    You can put duramorph in a spinal too.

How slow is slow? Just curious. How often do you have to dose the catheter? Taking the time to thread the cath means your spinal level will set up lower which increases the odds of needing that cath where there otherwise wouldn't be a problem - self-fulfilling prophecy.

Interesting case. I've got no idea.

pgg and ZzzPlz like this.
  41. Twiggidy

Jan 13, 2015
    But how slow? I'm assuming FPOB means "family practice OB" but still, are they 2 hrs slow? a 12 mg marcaine spinal can afford you plenty of time and you can also give duramorph in the spinal. you just need to get taught some of the private practices tricks to do so

42. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I like fentanyl in my spinal dose. Wouldn't feel comfortable adding more narcotic if that's what you are eluding to...

Some of the guys will take up to 2 hours, rarely dose the catheter but have had a failed/partial spinal a few times so it was nice to have in place.

I lay the patient down to tape in the catheter so it doesn't make that much of a difference in terms of level, (30 seconds to a minute more). I always have T4 with 11.25 mg dose. I increase the dose to 12mg if they're above 5'7. Voodoo I know

43. SaltyDog

Aug 10, 2007
    Closer to Mexico
    It is routine practice pretty much everywhere to put both fentanyl and Duramorph in the spinal.

44. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I've done plenty of spinals for c sections it's just personal preference. I don't see the drawback of having the epidural catheter

45. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Not where I trained but good to know thx

46. Orin

Orin 7+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2009
    What level did you think you were at with your spinal? Regardless, this is purely academic unless you can get an MRI of the L-spine in the next day or so. You could do a very focused motor exam of her lower extremities. I assume she has no gross deficits, but I would be interested if she was slightly hyperreflexic, had a touch of spasticity, or even a few beats of clonus. Specifically I'd check patellar vs achilles on her.

47. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    L3/L4. I did Neuro exam after spinal wore off, everything intact. What abnormality of the L spine could cause something like this?

48. Scotty_G

Scotty_G Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Northeast
    Yes CSE in non academics for a c-section?! You shouldn't need to do that even if 2 hrs. IMHO spinal is superior for c-section and if it took so long that the spinal wore off you can always wing it for the last remaining part (Propofol/ketamine/benadryl etc etc)

IlDestriero and Twiggidy like this.
  49. Scotty_G

Scotty_G Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Northeast
    What if patient had dural ectasia?

fakin' the funk likes this.
  50. Planktonmd

Planktonmd Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Nov 2, 2006
    The South
    Was there a CT?

51. pgg

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    Chestnut recommends it. I posted a picture from his book in another thread a while back:

Duramorph/Bupiv Spinals

Other opinions in that thread.

I still put 15 of fentanyl and 0.2 of morphine in all my spinals for section.