1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Whether you’re preparing for the USMLE, COMLEX, NBDE or APMLE, Test Prep Week Exhibitors can help you ace your boards!

Bizarre Reaction to Spinal (OB)

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by acidbase1, Sep 5, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Southpaw

Southpaw ASA Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Since you believe drug error (which explains all the symptoms, and resolution after GA was induced) isn't possible, you're left to search for causes of the increased ICP and resulting Cushing's response. If that's the case, only air entry into CS space could possibly explain (and I imagine it'd need to be a lot of air), in which case you're left to consider your CSE technique and whether or not you should be doing CSE. Air would've been seen most likely on the CT. Regardless, I hope you understand by now (since most posters have pointed it out) that CSE isn't needed for your practice. I hate using epidurals for CS (it's inferior to SAB), and I really can't find a reason to do CSE for labor for reasons previous posters have described.

I don't see how how dural ectasia explains any of the symptoms described.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. FFP

FFP Grunt, cog, body, pompous ass Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2007
  4. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they? SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    You induced GA right away, and your OBs are slow ... maybe she wasn't postictal because the next time she was awake was 2-3 hours later?

5. acidbase1

acidbase1 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2011
    She was awake following commands after the convulsions before inducing for GA