Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had no idea they were called "black ivy leagues." I got into Howard with a decent scholarship but didn't really think of attending because I wasn't sure how it would look like going to an all black elementary, high school, and college

I went to an all black everything lol. I do not want to go to a HBCU medical school because I had the experience already, but if those all of the only schools that will take me, then so be it!
Yes, ma'am! There is a facebook group for the Black Ivy Leagues 🙂
 
I heard that morehouse men had a problem with sexual assault of the women of Spelman and it always got swept under the rug
 
I would love to transfer to an HBCU. They were not of interest to me before, but now after a year and a half at this PWI, I miss the camaraderie of the black community. I don't think that is enough of a reason to transfer, though 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had no idea they were called "black ivy leagues." I got into Howard with a decent scholarship but didn't really think of attending because I wasn't sure how it would look like going to an all black elementary, high school, and college
Yeah, no hate to HBCUs, I just prefer diversity, if it wasn't for me going to a PWI then I don't know how I would deal with people that ain't colored.
 
I heard that morehouse men had a problem with sexual assault of the women of Spelman and it always got swept under the rug

That's not true lol. Who is your source?
Yeah, no hate to HBCUs, I just prefer diversity, if it wasn't for me going to a PWI then I don't know how I would deal with people that ain't colored.

HBCUS are diverse in their own way. I noticed that most HBCUS alums are more confident and sure of themselves than those who went to PWIs. They don't have the network or the guidance that those who went to a HBCU have. They feel lonely and a sense of isolation. This is what I was told from many of the minorities who attended a PWI. Before I transferred to my Alma mater, I attended a PWI. If I can do it again, I will try to go to a top 20 undergrad for the prestige and the opportunities. We all know how the financial aid is at a HBCU.

Granted I wish I had more friends who are from different races, but I guess medical school is where I will meet them 🙂. I do have Indian, Caucasian and Asian friends, but not a lot. I met most of them through SDN or the many medical fairs I went to. I also traveled a lot and met some amazing people along the way. Plus, my job is Uber diverse, and since I am a social person, it is not hard for me to meet people.

Edit: I really need to go to the MECCA homecoming this year. I have been trying to go since '06 when I was a freshman in college. It is time to make it a reality
 
That's not true lol. Who is your source?


HBCUS are diverse in their own way. I noticed that most HBCUS alums are more confident and sure of themselves than those who went to PWIs. They don't have the network or the guidance that those who went to a HBCU have. They feel lonely and a sense of isolation. This is what I was told from many of the minorities who attended a PWI. Before I transferred to my Alma mater, I attended a PWI. If I can do it again, I will try to go to a top 20 undergrad for the prestige and the opportunities. We all know how the financial aid is at a HBCU.

Granted I wish I had more friends who are from different races, but I guess medical school is where I will meet them 🙂. I do have Indian, Caucasian and Asian friends, but not a lot. I met most of them through SDN or the many medical fairs I went to. I also traveled a lot and met some amazing people along the way. Plus, my job is Uber diverse, and since I am a social person, it is not hard for me to meet people.

Edit: I really need to go to the MECCA homecoming this year. I have been trying to go since '06 when I was a freshman in college. It is time to make it a reality

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2016/0...lt-of-spelman-students-by-morehouse-students/
 

Thank you for providing me with the link. I am ashamed that was and is still happening to my sisters. All of these men should be reprimanded for their actions. Clearly, when I was a student I did not hear of these stories. I guess they were trying to cover it or sweep it under the rug. I will past this on to my other sisters to make sure they are aware of this vile act.

This is horrible, and at any campus there should be immediate actions. This can happen anywhere to anyone at any place.

Thanks for the article. The Men who I know have not participated in any of these acts to my knowledge.
 
I heard that morehouse men had a problem with sexual assault of the women of Spelman and it always got swept under the rug

I preface all of this by saying that there is never any justification for sexual assault.

But I don't that there is necessarily a problem as in it's run rampant. Unfortunately, I think this is something that is common at many schools across the nation but because Spelhouse is so small, things are certainly magnified.

As far as being, "swept under the rug", I would imagine an institution isn't going to put itself on blast. At any rate, I personally know past students who were definitely held accountable.

The whole issue is extremely delicate because you don't ever want to discredit a woman who has expressed her victimization but we also can't ignore the fact that some people are spiteful and vindictive.
 
Last edited:
On a happier note
Screenshot_2016-01-26-18-19-00.png
Screenshot_2016-01-26-18-19-08.png
Screenshot_2016-01-26-18-19-14.png


#butishesinglethough
 
Someone on here recommended undergrads do a fellowship, but my school isn't prestigious enough to offer their own like half these schools, and the other half are reserved for seniors/post grads QQ
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone on here recommended undergrads do a fellowship, but my school isn't prestigious enough to offer their own like half these schools, and the other half are reserved for seniors/post grads QQ

What kind of fellowships you thinking about? There are tons of summer programs open to people from all universities; mostly in research, but a few in other fields. The post-grad fellowships: Rhodes, Marshall are harder because your institution has to vet you and institutional name matters in those competitions but Gates-Cambridge and Schwartzmann seem egalitarian to my knowledge (although you need to be a super-duper-star to be competitive for any one of them). Fulbright is a bit less competitive (a lot less if you are a really good match for a program) and also open to anyone without institutional vetting to my knowledge.
 
Thanks lucca 🙂
And whoever talked me about MAPS on here, thank you too 🙂 I just found an advisor who said they would do it, I'm going to have the paperwork sent out by tomorrow and hopefully we get accepted
 
Hell no, we won't go! Lol
But anyway, I'm still trying to find my groove for the semester. We just won a fight for a multicultural center on campus, so I've been dealing with that. I'm lucky enough to not have MWF classes lol
That's great! What's the center going to entail?
 
Where is everyone? Have classes already claimed everyone?
Yes it's not way I'm going to get my paycheck before school starts because I just started the job. So I cannot pay off that 500 dollar bill. I'm a mess. My account is on hold because of meaning I can't register and my parents keep lying to me saying I can pay for but school starts on Monday.
 
What kind of fellowships you thinking about? There are tons of summer programs open to people from all universities; mostly in research, but a few in other fields. The post-grad fellowships: Rhodes, Marshall are harder because your institution has to vet you and institutional name matters in those competitions but Gates-Cambridge and Schwartzmann seem egalitarian to my knowledge (although you need to be a super-duper-star to be competitive for any one of them). Fulbright is a bit less competitive (a lot less if you are a really good match for a program) and also open to anyone without institutional vetting to my knowledge.

Are you a Fulbright scholar? All of these fellowships are competitive. I applied to most of the above-mentioned and including a couple of others that were not mentioned.
 
Are you a Fulbright scholar? All of these fellowships are competitive. I applied to most of the above-mentioned and including a couple of others that were not mentioned.

No I'm not, I'm just going off what our scholarship advisor has told us. Marshall and Rhodes, etc are pretty general in what they want so it's very competitive and "fit" is broadly defined. There are a lot of Fulbright programs that are, yes, competitive but are looking for very specific students (a Public health/policy wonk who knows Japanese and wants to work in Okinawa, a Fogarty scholarship for someone who has a lot of cancer research experience and is a PhD candidate or a medical student, etc but they also know Mandarin) so the field of maximally qualified applicants is narrower. Fulbright is also for US students only so its a national competition rather than international like Marshall, Rhodes, Schwartzmann, Gates-Cambridge. It's not that a Fulbright is anything to sneeze at, it's very prestigious and difficult to obtain for any candidate, it's just that it's comparatively less competitive than others.
 
The first week of classes and I am already stressed, lol. My school has a lottery-based system for some classes, so I'm currently twiddling my thumbs, waiting to see if I got into any of the classes I lotteried for before I can even finalize my class schedule. I also have to apply for a research grant so that I can do research this semester without going bankrupt. Plus I have research interview tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck for that, lol. My life is a hot mess right now.
 
No I'm not, I'm just going off what our scholarship advisor has told us. Marshall and Rhodes, etc are pretty general in what they want so it's very competitive and "fit" is broadly defined. There are a lot of Fulbright programs that are, yes, competitive but are looking for very specific students (a Public health/policy wonk who knows Japanese and wants to work in Okinawa, a Fogarty scholarship for someone who has a lot of cancer research experience and is a PhD candidate or a medical student, etc but they also know Mandarin) so the field of maximally qualified applicants is narrower. Fulbright is also for US students only so its a national competition rather than international like Marshall, Rhodes, Schwartzmann, Gates-Cambridge. It's not that a Fulbright is anything to sneeze at, it's very prestigious and difficult to obtain for any candidate, it's just that it's comparatively less competitive than others.

I agree with some of your comments. Rhodes and Marshall are really competitive since there are less spots and only for England. Fulbright has different categories that one can apply to, which means, if you are strategic you can win a Fulbright fellowship. I am a Fulbright scholar. I think that's why submitting my primary late Sept to early Oct still put me in a better position compared to other students. If my MCAT score was a tad bit higher, would have been golden. Eh, I will take my 5+ interviews. At least I got an opportunity to even receive an II. It is a blessing, and I am truly grateful 😀.

I applied to Rhodes, Fulbright, Henry Luce, and Mitchell. I also applied to about 15 AmeriCorps HealthCorp opportunities and the Critical Language scholarship, which I won during the same time as my Fulbright fellowship. I should have applied to Gates-Cambridge, Winston Churchill, Rotary Global Grant (I was nominated for this fellowship) and a couple more. These fellowships require so much energy and time. I think I really put my all into Rhodes. I put in more work for Rhodes than for the medical school process 😵. I guess I have been preparing for medical school my whole life, so it was just something I know I had to do. Rhodes, you have to be prepared and strategic. I do know of some Rhodes scholars, but they were preparing for this fellowship since Freshman year. I started considering Rhodes senior year, so I was already at a disadvantage. I think this is where a PWI will be more advantageous than a HBCU.

Currently, I applied for another fellowship to go to India, and I am preparing to apply to another one in the near future when I am a medical student. Because I already know of this, it is essential for me to ensure that my goals, ideals, and future align with their mission.

I think everyone should be looking into these fellowships 😉.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with some of your comments. Rhodes and Marshall are really competitive since there are less spots and only for England. Fulbright has different categories that one can apply to, which means, if you are strategic you can win a Fulbright fellowship. I am a Fulbright scholar. I think that's why submitting my primary late Sept to early Oct still put me in a better position compared to other students. If my MCAT score was a tad bit higher, would have been golden. Eh, I will take my 5+ interviews. At least I got an opportunity to even receive an II. It is a blessing, and I am truly grateful 😀.

I applied to Rhodes, Fulbright, Henry Luce, and Mitchell. I also applied to about 15 AmeriCorps HealthCorp opportunities and the Critical Language scholarship, which I won during the same time as my Fulbright fellowship. I should have applied to Gates-Cambridge, Winston Churchill, Rotary Global Grant (I was nominated for this fellowship) and a couple more. These fellowships require so much energy and time. I think I really put my all into Rhodes. I put in more work for Rhodes than for the medical school process 😵. I guess I have been preparing for medical school my whole life, so it was just something I know I had to do. Rhodes, you have to be prepared and strategic. I do know of some Rhodes scholars, but they were preparing for this fellowship since Freshman year. I started considering Rhodes senior year, so I was already at a disadvantage. I think this is where a PWI will be more advantageous than a HBCU.

Currently, I applied for another fellowship to go to India, and I am preparing to apply to another one in the near future when I am a medical student. Because I already know of this, it is essential for me to ensure that my goals, ideals, and future align with their mission.

I think everyone should be looking into these fellowships 😉.

Yah the big thing is how much prep and effort the app processes take
 
I agree with some of your comments. Rhodes and Marshall are really competitive since there are less spots and only for England. Fulbright has different categories that one can apply to, which means, if you are strategic you can win a Fulbright fellowship. I am a Fulbright scholar. I think that's why submitting my primary late Sept to early Oct still put me in a better position compared to other students. If my MCAT score was a tad bit higher, would have been golden. Eh, I will take my 5+ interviews. At least I got an opportunity to even receive an II. It is a blessing, and I am truly grateful 😀.

I applied to Rhodes, Fulbright, Henry Luce, and Mitchell. I also applied to about 15 AmeriCorps HealthCorp opportunities and the Critical Language scholarship, which I won during the same time as my Fulbright fellowship. I should have applied to Gates-Cambridge, Winston Churchill, Rotary Global Grant (I was nominated for this fellowship) and a couple more. These fellowships require so much energy and time. I think I really put my all into Rhodes. I put in more work for Rhodes than for the medical school process 😵. I guess I have been preparing for medical school my whole life, so it was just something I know I had to do. Rhodes, you have to be prepared and strategic. I do know of some Rhodes scholars, but they were preparing for this fellowship since Freshman year. I started considering Rhodes senior year, so I was already at a disadvantage. I think this is where a PWI will be more advantageous than a HBCU.

Currently, I applied for another fellowship to go to India, and I am preparing to apply to another one in the near future when I am a medical student. Because I already know of this, it is essential for me to ensure that my goals, ideals, and future align with their mission.

I think everyone should be looking into these fellowships 😉.
I align with the mission statement for most too, but mainly because I've been preparing for med school since high school. Imagine if you were a rhodes scholar though, you'd easily get into every US med school. I most likely won't do any fellowships and just stick with all the community service and organizations and summer medical programs. I'm really trying to avoid gap years, so if I find a summer fellowship that I can do next year I'll do that.

Is it bad that I already feel my biological clock ticking? Not sure how female doctors juggle pregnancy and medschool/residency
 
I align with the mission statement for most too, but mainly because I've been preparing for med school since high school. Imagine if you were a rhodes scholar though, you'd easily get into every US med school. I most likely won't do any fellowships and just stick with all the community service and organizations and summer medical programs. I'm really trying to avoid gap years, so if I find a summer fellowship that I can do next year I'll do that.

Is it bad that I already feel my biological clock ticking? Not sure how female doctors juggle pregnancy and medschool/residency
How old are you
 
I need some AA pre-med group hug love! Please pray for me y'all. I could use some Jesus.

EDIT: Probably shouldn't talk too much about it on the interwebs, but I'm fighting evil and my life and future plans and career goals just got turned upside down in the space of one week.

And this is how I feel right now. It hurts SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. It is a dog-eat-dog world out there and I'm so tired of fighting for scraps.

tumblr_n650vtHf6Q1t1bekoo2_500.gif
 
Last edited:
I'm in my early 30s. And I am not used to being sabotaged. But apparently this happens quite frequently in the pre-med world, so maybe I should wake up and start playing the game. :-/
Don't stoop to their level. Don't worry, everything will turn out fine for you. Karma will be a bitch to whoever sabotaged you. Plus if they were hating on you so much, that means that you were doing something right. Don't let them stifle your shine
 
I need some AA pre-med group hug love! Please pray for me y'all. I could use some Jesus.

EDIT: Probably shouldn't talk too much about it on the interwebs, but I'm fighting evil and my life and future plans and career goals just got turned upside down in the space of one week.

And this is how I feel right now. It hurts SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. It is a dog-eat-dog world out there and I'm so tired of fighting for scraps.

tumblr_n650vtHf6Q1t1bekoo2_500.gif
Tell me about it! All of sudden I'm not going to school this semester meaning MCATs will be pushed back, me transferring will be pushed back, me graduating will be pushed back(I'm already a bit behind), and I'm just waiting on a job. I think of all the things that I didn't deserve, I do have my high, lows, and doubts, but I got a feeling that things will be alright. The only positive thing I have made out of this was applying for a volunteer position and searching for other jobs until I wait for this one to call me back.

Good luck.
 
@dreamadream I feel you. For reals, sounds similar to what just happened to me. Plus legal stuff on top of that. I feel like it's me against the world right now. And I was betrayed and did nothing wrong. My bleeding heart is about to do some serious soul-searching but I know everything happens for a reason and sometimes when everything falls apart it's because God has something better He's putting together.
 
@dreamadream I feel you. For reals, sounds similar to what just happened to me. Plus legal stuff on top of that. I feel like it's me against the world right now. And I was betrayed and did nothing wrong. My bleeding heart is about to do some serious soul-searching because I know everything happens for a reason and sometimes when everything falls apart it's because God has something better He's putting together.
@DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines Be nice to your enemies. Don't let them get to you, let it get to them.
 
Tell me about it! All of sudden I'm not going to school this semester meaning MCATs will be pushed back, me transferring will be pushed back, me graduating will be pushed back(I'm already a bit behind), and I'm just waiting on a job. I think of all the things that I didn't deserve, I do have my high, lows, and doubts, but I got a feeling that things will be alright. The only positive thing I have made out of this was applying for a volunteer position and searching for other jobs until I wait for this one to call me back.

Good luck.
You should just become a medical scribe if you're not going to school this semester
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I align with the mission statement for most too, but mainly because I've been preparing for med school since high school. Imagine if you were a rhodes scholar though, you'd easily get into every US med school. I most likely won't do any fellowships and just stick with all the community service and organizations and summer medical programs. I'm really trying to avoid gap years, so if I find a summer fellowship that I can do next year I'll do that.

Is it bad that I already feel my biological clock ticking? Not sure how female doctors juggle pregnancy and medschool/residency

The fact you mentioned biology clock 😵 -_______- I am more than 5+ years old than you, but less than 10, lol
 
You should just become a medical scribe if you're not going to school this semester
I signed up for scribe america last year, the hospital that I was assigned to go to a interview for was about 20 miles away. Is there any other way instead of through ScribeAmerica? And next week I go to orientation for my volunteer position.