Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tell her to gwey and gwan pon her business!
What is your major now? I was a Chem Major in undergrad. I mean why is she pressuring you to switch your major?
I am a part of a Group Me group called Minorities in Medicine and it is pretty cool and inspirational. I am also a part of the NYC crew group me group and some others 😉.

I am a Psychology major, atm. She wants me to switch into Biology or Health Science. There is no reason for me to switch majors now because I can still get all of my prerequisites done in time.
You know what I find strange? I'm pursuing a Psych. B.S. and there is no difference between their Psych. B.A. and Psych. B.S. programs. The requirements are literally the same.

I have never heard of group me before tonight, lol. Can I join groups at random or do I need to be invited?

Edit: DJ Self works for Power 105.1FM Friday nights @10pm & Saturday nights... I don't remember when, sorry.
 
Last edited:
I am a Psychology major, atm. She wants me to switch into Biology or Health Science. There is no reason for me to switch majors now because I can still get all of my prerequisites done in time.
You know what I find strange? I'm pursuing a Psych. B.S. and there is no difference between their Psych. B.A. and Psych. B.S. programs. The requirements are literally the same.

I have never heard of group me before tonight, lol. Can I join groups at random or do I need to be invited?

Edit: DJ Self works for Power 105.1FM Friday nights @10pm & Saturday nights... I don't remember when, sorry.


I did a BS in psych too [emoji5]️
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@WunderMay I was a psych major and everything worked out for me. I'm sure your advisor isn't purposefully trying to misguide you. Some general advisors just aren't well informed. Even some pre med advisors are only accustomed to one type of applicant. Apply info you find useful and politely ignore the rest. Lol.
 
I want to switch majors. I'm in general studies under a biology concentration, with French and Spanish as minor. I was thinking criminal justice, but it will take me so long to obtain a bachelors because I have no prerequisites for criminal justice except ethics, sociology, and psychology.
 
I'm going to declare a Sociology and Anthropology major here. It sounds like a double major, but it's only one with few requirements.
For pre reqs, I'm only taking
- 1 yr orgo
- 1 yr physics
- 1 yr chem
- 1 yr bio
- 1 semester biochem
- calc 1 (and pre calc)

For the English requirement that most schools have, I have not taken English because I placed out with my AP credit. The only English class I have to take is my thesis writing English class, so I guess that counts?
 
I'm going to declare a Sociology and Anthropology major here.
I loved taking Anthro in high school. I thought about switching my major to sociology once, but I had no idea what I would do if med school didn't work out (I still don't actually...).

It's actually funny since I'm a bio major, but up until my current job I wasn't even near the field of healthcare or science (unless you count computer science). I kept getting questioned in interviews about it, so I just took college off my resume entirely (pros/cons to everything). Every time I wanted to answer them by saying, "well, I applied to this job because I'm qualified and I need the money to continue to pay for those bio classes". I didn't have the guts though.
 
I loved taking Anthro in high school. I thought about switching my major to sociology once, but I had no idea what I would do if med school didn't work out (I still don't actually...).

It's actually funny since I'm a bio major, but up until my current job I wasn't even near the field of healthcare or science (unless you count computer science). I kept getting questioned in interviews about it, so I just took college off my resume entirely (pros/cons to everything). Every time I wanted to answer them by saying, "well, I applied to this job because I'm qualified and I need the money to continue to pay for those bio classes". I didn't have the guts though.
I never even thought of a plan b. I guess if I get rejected the first cycle, I'll try a Caribbean school, or DO school.

Also, just thoughts. It must suck being a doctor and being married/dating another doctor. You'd basically never see each other, right?
 
Today, at 6:40 PM EST, Cam Newton will lead his team to the super bowl.

cam-newton.jpg

giphy.gif
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh **** just found out about something
This program called Flexmed or MedFlex. It's early admission to Mt. Sinai. You don't have to take the MCAT, and you don't have to take all the premed prereqs. For sophomores only, but deadline just passed. I'm a sophomore I'm mad af that I just found out about this :l But any freshman here reading this should definitely apply!!
 
Today, at 6:40 PM EST, Cam Newton will lead his team to the super bowl.

cam-newton.jpg

giphy.gif
When you're a New England fan but you approve this message.

@Angelyka do you mind sharing what the differences between your B.S. and a B.A. are? We're you require to take specific science courses?

@member000000000 I wholeheartedly agree. I love her but I don't think she wants to believe that I don't need to be a hard science major to get into med school. However, she is helpful in helping me build my resume so I'm thankful for that advice lol.
 
I never even thought of a plan b. I guess if I get rejected the first cycle, I'll try a Caribbean school, or DO school.

Also, just thoughts. It must suck being a doctor and being married/dating another doctor. You'd basically never see each other, right?

Caribbean is not an option!
DO and re apply to MD, but be confident that you will get in the first time.
I will definitely marry a doctor in a heart beat lol
 
I am a Psychology major, atm. She wants me to switch into Biology or Health Science. There is no reason for me to switch majors now because I can still get all of my prerequisites done in time.
You know what I find strange? I'm pursuing a Psych. B.S. and there is no difference between their Psych. B.A. and Psych. B.S. programs. The requirements are literally the same.

I have never heard of group me before tonight, lol. Can I join groups at random or do I need to be invited?

Edit: DJ Self works for Power 105.1FM Friday nights @10pm & Saturday nights... I don't remember when, sorry.

Yep, you need to be invited for Groupme groups lol
I am going to listen to him one of these days.
 
That missed extra point...

🙂
I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep. Why Lord. What have we done to deserve Brady...

I knew we were not gonna get that 2 point conversion but I just wanted it this once. Just... once.

OMG I'M SO... UGH!!
 
Lol are you serious?! Brady has led them to 4 championships!!!
And yet we will not be going to this superbowl. IT'S ALL BRADY'S FAULT.
But seriously, I just blame Brady when I don't want to admit that the other team has a a great defense.

There are very few things I refuse to be reasonable with and football is one of them. I just let the irrationality flow through me.
 
I only researched Michigan Schools but here are some resources for those of you that were considering Caribbean Schools. Please don't.

Michigan State University PB Program
http://www.mdadmissions.msu.edu/Programs/ABLE/ABLE.htm

Wayne State University PB Program
http://diversity.med.wayne.edu/postbac/index.php

AA pre med students from underprivileged backgrounds often face issues that affect their education. Just some resources for ppl who are right on the edge of being prepared for a US MD program. Please don't go the Caribbean route guys. PB programs for MD and grade replacement for DO route are way better options.
 
What's so bad about Caribbean schools? You're still a doctor after the fact

The match rate is ridiculously low. We have over 100 MD schools and maybe 40 DO schools. Why leave the country, if you can get in medical school in the US? They are a joke and no one respects them in academia. We all know you were not competitive enough and that's why you went overseas. Every year we have medical schools open in the us but the spots for residency are not increasing.
They have more than two months to study for Step. It is a hard life being an IMG and thinking they have priority to match especially the Roads specialities. Medicine is a vertical hierarchy and Caribbean medical schools are at the bottom of the totem pole.
Yes, there are people who are able to excel, but they had amazing board scores and connections. Life is no crystal stair when you're a Caribbean med. Student.
No shade, no tea, but I am going to throw a palm tree in here. Don't do it dearie and work hard to get in a US med school.

Everyone wants to be chosen, but not doing the work to get choose. Medicine is not a straight path, and many people have different paths to medicine. Everyone story is different and don't compare yourself to others. Just do you! 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Something's wrong with you, and I sense a troll.

+1

What's so bad about Caribbean schools? You're still a doctor after the fact

You dont know? Let's say your chances of becoming a doctor is minimal. It's a lottery ticket to debt, uncertainty, and misfortune. Do a forum search and you will find your answers.

However, there are students who do well and is practicing in the states.
 
Her MCAT scores are the reason she was selected. It is higher than the African American average. She was in probably the 90% tile. She passed all of their cut offs and her GPA was not that low because MCAT trumps most things.

I also think her ECs are also the reason why she was chosen and given multiple scholarships. She is truly one of a kind. Kudos to her.
 
They were good because they were consistent of a story and it was the same throughout. Her MCAT and stats really helped.
Yeah I agree. She did it really well, too. I wonder if she hadn't taken those Gap years if it would be the same? I'm trying to do as much as I can in undergrad, but I'm worried it won't tell a story. Idk. Im also trying to avoid gap years
 
I was thinking of pledging. But idk how much of a time commitment it is. And it might get in the way of other EC'S I could do to bolster my app. Med schools probably don't care about sororities, right?
 
Last edited:
Also, anyone in here an AKA?
I was thinking of pledging. But idk how much of a time commitment it is. And it might get in the way of other EC'S I could do to bolster my app. Med schools probably don't care about sororities, right?
Ehhh definitely not. But I would pledge Delta if I pledged at all. It's very time consuming and it's also not cheap depending on your chapter. It's not impossible though. Time management is everything. But I hope you wouldn't join a sorority just to look better for med school.
 
@AlphaBeta<3
I went to a HBCU aka a Black Ivy League HBCU. Don't post that you want to join any BGLO on an online forum. Also, they are a non-hazing organization, so they do not pledge, but all of the BGLO has a MIP.

I am not Greek, but my cousin is a NUPE.
 
Yeah I agree. She did it really well, too. I wonder if she hadn't taken those Gap years if it would be the same? I'm trying to do as much as I can in undergrad, but I'm worried it won't tell a story. Idk. Im also trying to avoid gap years

I took five years of GAP years. I am a Fulbright scholar, so I think this definitely helped with the process because the chances of me getting into a medical school when you submit your PRIMARY in OCTOBER is zilch lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@AlphaBeta<3
I went to a HBCU aka a Black Ivy League HBCU. Don't post that you want to join any BGLO on an online forum. Also, they are a non-hazing organization, so they do not pledge, but all of the BGLO has a MIP.

I am not Greek, but my cousin is a NUPE.

lol black ivy league...let's hope you know which ones are and which ones aren't cus I went to one too haha
 
I had no idea they were called "black ivy leagues." I got into Howard with a decent scholarship but didn't really think of attending because I wasn't sure how it would look like going to an all black elementary, high school, and college