Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

It was just my preteen urges, I read the description and got hooked lol. My mother has Carl Weber too.

I bought those books myself. My mom used to ask me what I am reading. I told the art of biology.
In HS, I wrote a couple of urban novels for my English Literature class. My teacher used to love my creativity, and really encouraged me to continue my writing. I told her I am trying to be a physician.
 
Stared at this for 5 minutes because Cam Newton is bae.

@dermocrat88 Your husband my man, tho?!
I need to start reading urban novels again LOL.

@Aquinas I always stole my aunt's Zane books...
It's funny that you mention your ASA feeling like a gang because my school's Caribbean Student Association feels the same way.
I don't know who looks better, him or Odell.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm scared to got out of the country, I can't even lie. Unless it's Canada.

😵 But things can happen in America. Look what's is happening with our African-American men. Let's not talk about Herp, Derp Trump is President ;(.

Explore, and live life. I went abroad several times for free. I guess that's why I enjoyed the trip even more, lol

I also just applied to another fellowship to head to rural India for a year before I attend medical school.
 
CANADA has crazy leaders too
hqdefault.jpg
 
I am not learning anything from these novels, except side chicks don't know their place, and wants to be a main chick so bad even if it means causing serious damage to someone else. People watch Making of a Murderer, Orange is the New Black, Suits, Scandal (Side Chick Chronicles), How to get away with murder (Con Artist monologues), and Love and Hip Hop series. Why do people watch these mindless shows? It is for entertainment, and entertainment only 🙂.

Well, I am glad that I am single 😀. Even if I was not single, he can't tell me what to read 😵. It is on my kindle, and I can just play it off that I am reviewing the inclusion and criteria requirements for my protocols 🤣


I was just messing with you! If anything your boyfriend will probably think you think he has a side chick. "Damn, democrat88 bought 12 books about side chicks? I better let Jocelyn and Jazmyn go"
 
I don't know who looks better, him or Odell.
Odell definitely has Cam beat aesthetically, imo. BUT, Cam's personality on the field! I am in love. Him over Odell anyday.

Omari Hardwick's jawline... SDN can't handle what I'm thinking LOL.
Quick! Someone ask a more topic related question and save me from myself.

*Odell is a wide receiver for the Giants.
 
Odell Beckham Jr!!!! Oh and the lead in Power is Omari Hardwick, he's beautiful.

Odell looks like a lowkey hood Michael B. Jordan, lol. What I love about Omari is his sense of intellect. I love his character in Power. It is to die for! I hate Angela.

Odell definitely has Cam beat aesthetically, imo. BUT, Cam's personality on the field! I am in love. Him over Odell anyday.

Omari Hardwick's jawline... SDN can't handle what I'm thinking LOL.
Quick! Someone ask a more topic related question and save me from myself.

*Odell is a wide receiver for the Giants.

I am from NY, and didn't know Odell is on the NY Giants.

I am the person who only watches the main important series: Superbowl, NBA Finals, and etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But how are you guys doing?
Any problems you face?
I always find it annoying when I always get asked if I'm trying to be a nurse. Even after I say I'm premed lol
That's not a black thing, it's a female thing. I get it allllllll the time. And I'm in medical school.
 
Yasss this is my thread!! (As a doctor can I still say "yasss"?)

Jamaican American female here, recently accepted and nervous for starting in August. I can relate to the nursing confusion:

Me: I'm starting med school in August.
Others: Ohh are you going for LPN or RN?
Me: Uhmm...doctor.

I get the same thing!! In my head I'm like "wtf? ". I never heard a nurse call their nursing program "medical school".
 
I get the same thing!! In my head I'm like "wtf? ". I never heard a nurse call their nursing program "medical school".
I once read on here a story of a confused girl who said she was going to medical school, even though she was around 19. The person telling the story was surprised, and asked if she had taken her MCAT yet. Turns out, she confused med school for nursing school, and actually was studying to be a nurse
 
@NothingWasTheSame I'm with you. I never heard anyone confuse nursing school with medical school either....... until recently. Lol. I asked my boss for a day off for an interview for medical school. He was excited for me and had no idea I was applying. He said a bunch of his friends went to medical school too..... And are now successful PAs. Hahaha. He asked what I wanted to "major in": PA, nursing, etc. I had to explain that medical school wasn't like that after explaining that I wanted to be a doctor.

Keep in mind that this is an educated and successful person. Like the girl @AlphaBeta<3 spoke with, many people just don't know how this works and/or the right terminology.
 
Yasss this is my thread!! (As a doctor can I still say "yasss"?)

Jamaican American female here, recently accepted and nervous for starting in August. I can relate to the nursing confusion:

Me: I'm starting med school in August.
Others: Ohh are you going for LPN or RN?
Me: Uhmm...doctor.

I'm trying to figure out at what point did someone start telling these folks that you get a nursing degree from medical school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lolz. I'm pasty white, but I'm black on the inside and wish I was black.

I'm Asian, but I'm black on the inside. I grew up in the ghetto, the low-income area predominately blacks. All of my friends are black; mostly because I understand their struggle/oppression/ and experience. I never connected with my Asian heritage My most recent ex-gf was black, specifically black and Dominican. I admired her strong personality she expressed. Although I hate spending my Saturday night straightening her long curly, thick hair and applying oil and cream......I grew to appreciate her beauty. She is the type to spend an hour putting on make up. She was extremely attractive. Men would pay for her gas and drinks. I even strategically used her to get FREE drinks when we go out clubbing/barring. We used to go to this bar where she gets free drinks from this bar tender. We are poor folks. Well that discount didn't apply once she told him I was her boyfriend :smack:

I'm technically Taiwanese but I'm not going to call you out for calling me Chinese. But what's interesting is that my family has been on Formosa for 200+ years (so we are actually Taiwanese and not CKS refugees). My mom can't standing being called Chinese though.

I used to date a Taiwanese, hong kong, and a few mainland Chinese girls. I understand the whole chinese vs taiwanese concept.
 
Oh, so now you understand our hair struggle too? 😵

I understand the constraints of having thick, coarse hair. The maintenance is time consuming. This is not uncommon for me.

Back in undergrad, I used to do my hair 2x a day-- once in the morning and evening when I go study. It would take me an hour each time which included shower time, blow drying, applying molding wax and hairspray. During special occasions, it would take me 1.5 hours. This might sound weird, but I HAD to do my hair upside down. I would hang my head off the edge of the bed and blow dry my hair on low heat. There was even times where I didnt like my hair style and back into the shower I go. I was ridiculously high maintenance. Yes, I lost lots of sleep just so I would have big hair.

I'm just very outgoing and look like one of those Korean popstars. I would post a picture, but SDN isn't for selfies.
 
Perish the thought. Twill never happen lest he grows his own kinky afro

You're right. I will never know. I wish I could be normal and wake up every morning and brush my hair and be done with it. I would of been a straight A student. I lost LOTS of sleep/study time because I chose to do my hair every single freakin day.

I remembered the look my biochem professor gave me when he overheard me say to my group,"Yeah, it took me an hour to do my hair. I will go home later and redo it again."
 
You're right. I will never know. I wish I could be normal and wake up every morning and brush my hair and be done with it. I would of been a straight A student. I lost LOTS of sleep/study time because I chose to do my hair every single freakin day.

I remembered the look my biochem professor gave me when he overheard me say to my group,"Yeah, it took me an hour to do my hair. I will go home later and redo it again."
I love this dude lol . I dont care if he isnt black . I says he's cool .. lol lol .
 
I love this dude lol . I dont care if he isnt black . I says he's cool .. lol lol .

I appreciate it fam
327656_2666871197735_1476143038_o.jpg


Btw, Im also a bboy. Taught myself in high school and won a talent show.
I'm the co-founder and former president of the bboy club at my university and won another talent show. I also competed nationally and locally.
 
@NothingWasTheSame I'm with you. I never heard anyone confuse nursing school with medical school either....... until recently. Lol. I asked my boss for a day off for an interview for medical school. He was excited for me and had no idea I was applying. He said a bunch of his friends went to medical school too..... And are now successful PAs. Hahaha. He asked what I wanted to "major in": PA, nursing, etc. I had to explain that medical school wasn't like that after explaining that I wanted to be a doctor.

Keep in mind that this is an educated and successful person. Like the girl @AlphaBeta<3 spoke with, many people just don't know how this works and/or the right terminology.

At the same time, some are unaware of the medical school process, so I understand why they would ask you what you're majoring in (medicine, nursing, PA). Don't take that personal, just chop it up as they don't know. [emoji16]
 
I'm Asian, but I'm black on the inside. I grew up in the ghetto, the low-income area predominately blacks. All of my friends are black; mostly because I understand their struggle/oppression/ and experience. I never connected with my Asian heritage My most recent ex-gf was black, specifically black and Dominican. I admired her strong personality she expressed. Although I hate spending my Saturday night straightening her long curly, thick hair and applying oil and cream......I grew to appreciate her beauty. She is the type to spend an hour putting on make up. She was extremely attractive. Men would pay for her gas and drinks. I even strategically used her to get FREE drinks when we go out clubbing/barring. We used to go to this bar where she gets free drinks from this bar tender. We are poor folks. Well that discount didn't apply once she told him I was her boyfriend :smack:



I used to date a Taiwanese, hong kong, and a few mainland Chinese girls. I understand the whole chinese vs taiwanese concept.

No [emoji58]
 
I'm Asian, but I'm black on the inside. I grew up in the ghetto, the low-income area predominately blacks. All of my friends are black; mostly because I understand their struggle/oppression/ and experience. I never connected with my Asian heritage My most recent ex-gf was black, specifically black and Dominican. I admired her strong personality she expressed. Although I hate spending my Saturday night straightening her long curly, thick hair and applying oil and cream......I grew to appreciate her beauty. She is the type to spend an hour putting on make up. She was extremely attractive. Men would pay for her gas and drinks. I even strategically used her to get FREE drinks when we go out clubbing/barring. We used to go to this bar where she gets free drinks from this bar tender. We are poor folks. Well that discount didn't apply once she told him I was her boyfriend :smack:



I used to date a Taiwanese, hong kong, and a few mainland Chinese girls. I understand the whole chinese vs taiwanese concept.
It sounds like you fetishize and romanticize the concept of blackness
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to figure out at what point did someone start telling these folks that you get a nursing degree from medical school?
It could be a sinple mistake when people confuse medical school for a nursing program. But there could be a deeper reason..
Some people may not necessarily think medical school is for nursing, but when they see an indivual that they're not used to seeing pursuing a medical program (i.e. a minority, female, immigrant, etc), they assume it has to be nursing. Which is quite disappointing.
 
It sounds like you fetishize and romanticize the concept of blackness

My ex-gf would say otherwise. She always said,"You really love white people." To be frank, I love all people. I just connect with black folks easier because my sense of humor, past experiences, my big hair and my outgoing personality.

It could be a sinple mistake when people confuse medical school for a nursing program. But there could be a deeper reason..
Some people may not necessarily think medical school is for nursing, but when they see an indivual that they're not used to seeing pursuing a medical program (i.e. a minority, female, immigrant, etc), they assume it has to be nursing. Which is quite disappointing.

Truth. Some people are just naive about the medical field and cannot distinguish the differences between nursing, PA, NP, etc. Heck, people don't know the difference between MD vs DO.