Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm Turkish but I'm also from Syria.. Can I be considered an URM?

obama-reaction-face-gif.gif


I wanted to contribute

:corny:A race war is about to start:corny:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really thought I was the only one confused by this. I would tell people i'm going to medical school and they say "Oh you want to become a nurse?". UGH
I have never came across people like that. Like how would they not know medical school is for people who want to be doctors of medicine? It's just common sense.
 
Really thought I was the only one confused by this. I would tell people i'm going to medical school and they say "Oh you want to become a nurse?". UGH

I think it's more of a being female thing than a race thing. I get it all the time. Laypeople don't know about the whole medical school, residency, etc process.
 
I think I'm going to be working full time and going to school full time. I don't know how I will manage my time. Plus I'll be volunteering for 90 minutes a week.
Help?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it's more of a being female thing than a race thing. I get it all the time. Laypeople don't know about the whole medical school, residency, etc process.

None of my friends know about the medical school process. Honestly, I just keep it simple and tell everyone I'm a janitor working at a hospital. So far it's working out well......

Thanks, I see you're "down".

Thanks? Not sure what mean by "down," but im sure it's positive
 
I think I'm going to be working full time and going to school full time. I don't know how I will manage my time. Plus I'll be volunteering for 90 minutes a week.
Help?

You gotta cut back on working or volunteering. Weigh out what is more valuable to you.
 
I think I'm going to be working full time and going to school full time. I don't know how I will manage my time. Plus I'll be volunteering for 90 minutes a week.
Help?
I don't think your courses should be that difficult considering you keep mentioning you are going to transfer, and you can ease the volunteer hours.
 
You gotta cut back on working or volunteering. Weigh out what is more valuable to you.
Volunteering is only once/week for the remainder of the school year(for the kids). I really don't know how my work hours will play out, but I have to go to school full time.
 
Volunteering is only once/week for the remainder of the school year(for the kids). I really don't know how my work hours will play out, but I have to go to school full time.

Well, I used to be in your shoe. I dropped my social life and stayed focused, deleted facebook, instagram, and all social networks. If you can do that, you will have more time on your hands.
 
Well, I used to be in your shoe. I dropped my social life and stayed focused, deleted facebook, instagram, and all social networks. If you can do that, you will have more time on your hands.
I don't have a social life, so I'm good on that part. I don't use fb, I get on ig from time to time, but I use twitter 24/7. Social networks don't interfere with my personal life. I do spend <1hour on sdn but tonight I'm spending a great deal of time lurking through threads.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I'm going to be working full time and going to school full time. I don't know how I will manage my time. Plus I'll be volunteering for 90 minutes a week.
Help?
Time management. I can't say that enough. My life is hectic at the moment, but I am so militant when it comes to my schedule. Sleeeeep. Just know what your body can handle and work with it. If I don't get sleep, then I fall off of my schedule and I'm slacking off.
 
Time management. I can't say that enough. My life is hectic at the moment, but I am so militant when it comes to my schedule. Sleeeeep. Just know what your body can handle and work with it. If I don't get sleep, then I fall off of my schedule and I'm slacking off.
Yeah I've been giving my body a tough time(going to sleep until 2 am every night) lately because I have nothing to do with my life because I'm on break. But things will be up and running again next week. Though, I've been using my time wisely by applying to jobs, searching volunteer and study abroad opportunities. I am about to do so many thing in the upcoming month because of this. I think I'll commit to going to sleep at 10 or 10:30pm.
 
I side eyed that too because a few trolls showed up and I don't even know what's what anymore.

THIS IS WHY I HAVE TRUST ISSUES.
The reason why I asked that, is because we were on another thread and I was cutting up as usual with these judgmental and privileged people. I am going to stay incognito. This is the only thread I'll be in until I feel comfortable to come back out of my shell. Y'all make me feel at home.
 
The reason why I asked that, is because we were on another thread and I was cutting up as usual with these judgmental and privileged people. I am going to stay incognito. This is the only thread I'll be in until I feel comfortable to come back out of my shell. Y'all make me feel at home.
Okay there goes some context. It definitely seems like someone is throwing shade, but I like this thread and I hope we can all ignore the trolls since they aren't contributing to it in a positive way.
 
The nursing thing may just be a young woman thing and may not always be related to race, but do you guys know what is definitely related to race?

"You're smart for a black girl"

Got it in high school, got it in undergrad. Hands down the most annoying phrase of my life and seriously hope I never have to hear it again. For when some of you do start medical school, I would suggest getting involved in the Student National Medical Association if your school has one. Race issues don't stop in medical school and residency and it'll be good to have a support system. I haven't started medical school yet but I'm already involved in my schools SNMA organization and it is a great group to get involved in and meet your minority peers.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Cookie04 not even sure if my school has enough minority premed students to start this, but now I want to make a chapter.
This is my problem, I like starting too many things and trying to do everything,
 
The nursing thing may just be a young woman thing and may not always be related to race, but do you guys know what is definitely related to race?

"You're smart for a black girl"

Got it in high school, got it in undergrad. Hands down the most annoying phrase of my life and seriously hope I never have to hear it again. For when some of you do start medical school, I would suggest getting involved in the Student National Medical Association if your school has one. Race issues don't stop in medical school and residency and it'll be good to have a support system. I haven't started medical school yet but I'm already involved in my schools SNMA organization and it is a great group to get involved in and meet your minority peers.

And it was the same thing when I was accepted to an ivy, people told me I was only accepted because I was black. As though all I had to do was send in my picture lol