Black, white or grey background when taking a secondary photo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotGoblinsales10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm buying a photography backdrop ($12.99, so nothing special).

I'm doing this because my parent's house is old and the walls look terrible. The good walls are in locations where there is poor lighting.

So anyway, what color backdrop do I get: Black, white or grey.

Skin is Olive complexion. Hair and eyes are black. My suit is black. My dress shirt is white. My tie is royal blue.

Members don't see this ad.

White is what I did. Just go to your nearest Walgreens or CVS and they’ll make a professional passport-style photo for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Don't do a black background with a black suit. White, grey, or blue all work, but I agree with above poster that Walgreens/CVS is your best bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was taken at an undergraduate campus in front of trees (how unprofessional!) and I’m wearing a black suit and red tie (the exact opposite of the SDN standard!).

I’m sure whatever you pick will be ok. :)

I think the wise men of sdn will state to contrast your hair, and don't wear black suit with black background.

Lol I literally just used a decent looking selfie I had on my phone. I had a t shirt on. Worked for me :shrug:

Add this to the list of SDN’s top 10 non-issues of all time.

CVS etc are great, or just go somewhere that’s not your house?

Buy a green screen! They're fun to have and easy to use.

Who cares? There's about 20 things that matter more than background color of your photo

I uploaded a 3 year old fuzzy photo in a oxford shirt with a black background back when I was thinking about Greek Life