BME Acceptance Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Obsessive

Mr. Obsessive
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find an official survey from AAMC or something along those lines regarding BME acceptance rates. I read a thread earlier using data from the college of new jersey. Any other, perhaps more official links, would be helpful. Thanks in advance to anyone that responds.

Members don't see this ad.

You are living up to your name. Your major matters little in and of itself, it depends what you are getting out of it personally.

Pinkertinkle said:
You are living up to your name. Your major matters little in and of itself, it depends what you are getting out of it personally.
second this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its true that BMEs have an excellent acceptance rate to medical school, but I think its a bad idea to give young pre-meds the idea that they should pick a major for the sole purpose of getting into medical school. In the end, you get accepted to medical school because of the sum total of your abilities, not because of your major.

Additionally, BME is not an easy major. So, it helps if you like it. You wont survive heat and mass transfer, biomechanic, biomaterials and bioelectronics in one year if you don?t find it interesting.

You will note also in the link to CyberTammy's post, that those who *majored* in 'pre-medical' studies had a very close, 64.1 acceptance rate. Very few schools offer a 'pre-medicine' major, which basically consists of taking courses like Medical Neuroantomy, Histology, Endocrinology, Toxicology, et.

I dont think it really matters what your major is, but all things being equal (ie you perform equally well as either a Music major or a BME major or a 'Pre-Med' major) adcoms will next look at how relevant your classes are to medicine. Classes in a pre-med major program are obviously related to medicine, BME, I'm not too sure. Though I think with technology transceding the various fields of medicine at the rate it is, perhaps the future physician will have to be part engineer to practice the craft...

junebuguf said:
Though I think with technology transceding the various fields of medicine at the rate it is, perhaps the future physician will have to be part engineer to practice the craft...

I think that people (especially adcoms) are realizing that medicine has become very interdisciplinary, but not necessarily slanted in the direction of engineers. Suddenly, there is a need for doctors who can do more than just heal people - there are doctors that write for a living (both scientifically and to the mass public) and doctors in politics. And that's only the tip of the iceberg. What really matters is that you are good at whatever you do (whether that's write poetry or play music or conduct scietific research) and that you have a passion for medicine. The rest will all fall into place.

It's difficult to get a good GPA in that major, keep that in consideration. I recommend people choose their majors based on their personal desire rather than what they think admission comittees are looking for.

Medikit said:
It's difficult to get a good GPA in that major, keep that in consideration. I recommend people choose their majors based on their personal desire rather than what they think admission comittees are looking for.
Damn, I'm screwed. :laugh:

(I changed from Computer E. to BME before my decision to apply to med school)

I'm spending two years taking pre-med classes to raise my GPA to at least 3.4, only to let BME rape it back down to nothing. I'm relying on the crapshoot process. Indeed. :)

Dallenoff said:
Damn, I'm screwed. :laugh:

(I changed from Computer E. to BME before my decision to apply to med school)

I'm spending two years taking pre-med classes to raise my GPA to at least 3.4, only to let BME rape it back down to nothing. I'm relying on the crapshoot. Indeed. :)

I would imagine any Engineering class is pretty difficult to score well in based on previous discussions with Eng majors. But I hear that Chem E. and BME are the most difficult.

Although this is really just hearsay and will probably vary school to school and person to person.

I'm going to be a BME major this coming fall and I'm doing my BS/MD at VCU but im deciding whether or not to switch my major just because if i don't perform better than a 3.5 i lose my guarantee into med school which is more devastating than not getting a BS in BME. I was thinking of minoring in BME what do you guys think? :cool: