You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Board Certification in Psychiatry
Started by Anasazi23
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I only have pain and sleep link. Don't have C&A link.
Only the C & A fellows have that link.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have they ever reported the scores on a weekend?
Rest assured that the exponential growth rate of posts here and ABPN website hits are being studied by those master statisticians. It'd fun to see...assuming I pass of course!I'm tempted to email them a link to this forum. Maybe it will guilt them into releasing scores.
Don't think grades are sent out during the weekend
They have been in the past. They have gone out on Saturdays and thanksgiving day before. But not our year. We are never getting our results.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is the height of incompetence. They need to refund at least part of the money.
I've been avoiding logging in to SDN for ages, but I had to sign in just to join the rant. WTH, people!? Also, couldn't they at least send an email to all of us explaining what's happening -- that would probably save them some phone calls and would be the considerate thing to do. Of course, it's not like they have to offer acceptable customer service because we're stuck with them (and beholden to them).
Anyway, super annoying. My worry is that too many people passed with the changes, and they're trying to figure out how to fail more people.
Anyway, super annoying. My worry is that too many people passed with the changes, and they're trying to figure out how to fail more people.
I'm gonna say tuesday or wednesday. I believe it was thursday of last week that the status changed.. and five days after the status change would put us at tomorrow.
Anyway, super annoying. My worry is that too many people passed with the changes, and they're trying to figure out how to fail more people.
That's what I'm worried about also. Like I was telling my colleagues, I don't like taking standardized tests when they are changing the structure or grading. Not only have things been delayed, but who knows what their grading methodology is now.
This is called as poor strategy, like they developed the plan without figuring out how to do it - It doesn't make any sense that ABPN like organization - large, doing these kind of things ...
This is called as poor strategy, like they developed the plan without figuring out how to do it - It doesn't make any sense that ABPN like organization - large, doing these kind of things ...
Editing this whole thing because apparently I don't know if I'm surprised or not, which is kinda embarrassing.
ABPN is the small league compared with the testing groups we're used to. It's got nowhere near the same resources as the USMLE or MCAT peopl. I agree, though, that I'm somewhat surprised by these issues -- presumably they had lots of data from previous years to determine the effects of switching their grading strategy.
They've also still got a ton of stuff to work out with those vignettes -- we'll see how strongly I feel about them after I get my score.
Last edited:
They've also still got a ton of stuff to work out with those vignettes -- we'll see how strongly I feel about them after I get my score.
Not only were the vignettes very abstract, but they could have done a better job with notifying the test taker about remaining time.
ABPN is the small league compared with the testing groups we're used to. It's got nowhere near the same resources as the USMLE or MCAT people, so I'm not surprised by these issues. I agree, though, that I'm somewhat surprised by these issues -- presumably they had lots of data from previous years to determine the effects of switching their grading strategy.
They've also still got a ton of stuff to work out with those vignettes -- we'll see how strongly I feel about them after I get my score.
If I got a perfect score, those vignettes were still horrible. Bad questions are stil bad questions even if we happen to guess correctly.
I am so disappointed in this whole experience. I paid so much money (and before anyone even starts, I know it's the start of me paying a ton of money to the psychiatry gods, but before you have your first real job is a tough time to come up with thousands of dollars) for a terrible test that they can't figure out how to grade.
If I got a perfect score, those vignettes were still horrible. Bad questions are stil bad questions even if we happen to guess correctly.
I am so disappointed in this whole experience. I paid so much money (and before anyone even starts, I know it's the start of me paying a ton of money to the psychiatry gods, but before you have your first real job is a tough time to come up with thousands of dollars) for a terrible test that they can't figure out how to grade.
They were horrible -- you're right. I'll be much more angry about their horribleness if I fail, though, which is admittedly very self-serving. And yes, $2500 for a test is pretty ridiculous, especially as most of us pay it while we're still in training.
I also edited my post above because I said I wasn't surprised in one sentence and immediately said I was surprised afterwards. Yikes. I guess I don't know how I feel.
I just want to pass so I can give them another $2510 to take my child boards.
And half of the video to the vignettes you couldn't even see clearly. I even remember a standalone question about the role of social media right now - I was like what the heck is with this garbage
The thing I dislike most about this entire process is the fact that I probably waste more time checking to see if the results are out than actually doing real work. Does anyone else feel anxious in the morning when they check their e-mail?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And half of the video to the vignettes you couldn't even see clearly. I even remember a standalone question about the role of social media right now - I was like what the heck is with this garbage
The video quality bothered me less, but I think that might be an indication that I took the vignettes way less seriously than I should have. I generally just watched them once and then went on the questions instead of repeating them, which meant I probably missed out on little details. I found that whole part of the test to be so incredibly tedious and nerve-wracking. Also wearing headphones gives me headaches (my life is sad), so that added to the fun. I guess I should ask for accommodations if I have to repeat it (not seriously).
I just remember there being a vignette about halfway through the exam where there is a female patient and one of the questions asked me to describe her appearance. I was looking for a choice that said "blurry," but it was not available.
And to the above poster, yes I have been nauseous every morning and before I go to bed - it sucks
And to the above poster, yes I have been nauseous every morning and before I go to bed - it sucks
And partially this is because my job is tying a bonus to my passing the boards
And to the above poster, yes I have been nauseous every morning and before I go to bed - it sucks
I feel the same way too. When I wake up in the morning and unlock my phone, I have this terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Been lurking here. Am on the neurology side. If it helps, I also noticed I could apply for the pain boards and sleep boards prior to getting my score last week(I passed).
According to my friend who took the test last year and didn't pass but did this year he was able to apply to subspecialty boards up until a week or two prior to getting his results when he failed.
This year when he passed he was able to apply to them up until he checked his final grade.
Maybe it's nothing, but it made me feel much better while waiting for my score. So sorry you guys are still going through this.
According to my friend who took the test last year and didn't pass but did this year he was able to apply to subspecialty boards up until a week or two prior to getting his results when he failed.
This year when he passed he was able to apply to them up until he checked his final grade.
Maybe it's nothing, but it made me feel much better while waiting for my score. So sorry you guys are still going through this.
So, you're saying when he failed last year the option to apply for the sub specialty boards disappeared a week or two before the results were out?
So, if we still have those options now, that means we passed? Lol
So, if we still have those options now, that means we passed? Lol
Oh and I'm with all of you who need this for your job... Not only will I not get a (small) raise but I'll actually not be able to teach residents until I pass (which is involved in about 50% of my job). So, if I don't pass I'll be up a creek. Gotta love academia.
So am I impatient, yes... Quit toying with my emotions and my livelihood ABPN...
So am I impatient, yes... Quit toying with my emotions and my livelihood ABPN...
Well, what I would bank on is that if those options disappeared, you're royally screwed! Fortunately, sleep and pain are still there, but I don't take it to mean anything.So, you're saying when he failed last year the option to apply for the sub specialty boards disappeared a week or two before the results were out?
So, if we still have those options now, that means we passed? Lol
That encapsulates how I feel about this at this point. The wait has worn me out to the point that by the time I finally do get the results, if I did pass, I won't have room to feel anything but relief. I don't know that there will be much joy or celebration to be had.
So, you're saying when he failed last year the option to apply for the sub specialty boards disappeared a week or two before the results were out?
So, if we still have those options now, that means we passed? Lol
Yes. Thats the gist of it. Good luck, this totally sucks.
I hope that the subspecialty board hack is true, but who knows with the ABPN. I also think that if we do pass, most of us will feel relief more than anything else at this point. One man's stomach can only churn so much! Release the scores!
I hope that the subspecialty board hack is true, but who knows with the ABPN. I also think that if we do pass, most of us will feel relief more than anything else at this point. One man's stomach can only churn so much! Release the scores!
I don't know if its true. It makes sense on a certain level, they are a small operation and I could easily see how something like this would be overlooked by the site administrators.
In the end, you will only be able to achieve some level of emotional normalcy once the results are posted.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 482
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 679