board part 1 for 2010 and on

Started by dddunit
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dddunit

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that there were threads on this before use First Aid etc. I was wondering if current students preparing for boards or students coming off of a board part 1 exam can elaborate on the books and materials they used. Are there any ones in particular that has been good for the recent board part 1 exam? Thanks.
 
Using First Aid, High yield for certain topics, goljan, kaplan books and some of the topics made ridiculously simple. Just need to pass the test so I am not going overboard.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
any other suggestions? If you had to choose max 2 or 3 books (aside from your LEA class notes) Which would you choose?
 
so first aid + BRS physio+ BRS physio + LEA notes = sufficient?

Depends on how you're testing your knowledge. If you're simply re-doing old class exams then your class notes and FA will be sufficient.

I initially used FA and then switched to the BRS series and LEA notes to study. I used Kaplan test bank, USMLERx and Pretest books for practice questions.

The reason I switched was because FA was not nearly detailed enough in any section to answer the test bank questions. First Aid has no general physiology section, and what is covered is again not detailed (aside from cardio). The biochem section is missing review material on the NBPME outline such as amino acids, operons, etc, etc. The same with the pharm sections.. It was however good for mnemonics and rapid word associations, but other than that it was just an expensive paperweight.

Most will say BRS is too detailed and the questions were too hard and I think it's because they spent too much time with FA.
 
Last edited:
USMLE First Aid - Buy it used/cheap as possible. Newer versions don't help you any more than the 2009 one will. Read it like twice and take notes on things that really stand out. Only a small handful of it's material ended up helping me. It was no help at all on most of the NBPME's detailed topics.

BRS Pharm Flashcards - I found it to be more helpful than any other source in terms of getting me ready for NBPME. Watch out though it's still a crap shoot.

Micro Made Ridiculously Easy - I read it once. Didn't help me at all.

Beyond that I studied class notes which was also of limited use.