Bodybuilding and Fitness in Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HughMyron

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know how feasible it is to maintain a ~4 hr/week bodybuilding routine as a medical student. I've heard that it's possible in M1 and M2, but M3 is basically a residency-level time sink, so not there.

For all you fitness-minded people, can you maintain your fitness in medical school?

Also inb4 "u mad," "u mirin," etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting question! Looking forward to this!

As far as undergrad goes, I took 24 credit hours, 20+ hours research, ~18 hours job per week and had time to workout in the gym everyday without actually having to limit my workout time. I'd say combining the workouts and recreational time at the rec center, I spent about 12-13 hours a week at the gym. So I am somewhat hoping medical school turns out to allow some time off because I certainly don't like skipping the gym!! I am not the bodybuilding type though :p Just shooting to win the lb for lb benchoff at my university next Fall... :)

probably will be possible in med school but not likely in residency

Members don't see this ad :)
I am the biggest/strongest Ive ever been in my entire life. Lifetime lifter here. M1/M2 you have PLENTY of time to lift. M3 you have PLENTY of time to lift, it just takes a bit more discipline. Many evenings you will be burnt and tired and the last thing you want to do is lift. But 4 hours a week will be no problem. I am able to get MWFSu workouts in no problems at all. Ive actually gotten in great cardio shape because ive subbed in runs for lift sessions. Have no fear, you will be fine. Keep your diet healthy and lean (hard during M3)!!

Interesting question! Looking forward to this!

As far as undergrad goes, I took 24 credit hours, 20+ hours research, ~18 hours job per week and had time to workout in the gym everyday without actually having to limit my workout time. I'd say combining the workouts and recreational time at the rec center, I spent about 12-13 hours a week at the gym. So I am somewhat hoping medical school turns out to allow some time off because I certainly don't like skipping the gym!! I am not the bodybuilding type though :p Just shooting to win the lb for lb benchoff at my university next Fall... :)

gv0yY.png

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to know how feasible it is to maintain a ~4 hr/week bodybuilding routine as a medical student. I've heard that it's possible in M1 and M2, but M3 is basically a residency-level time sink, so not there.

For all you fitness-minded people, can you maintain your fitness in medical school?

I think it's possible, just depends on your will power. I imagine you'll have to make adjustments to your work out regimen and diet, but it's doable (I plan on continue to powerlift).

I also know a few surgery residents who bodybuild (and they're big), so that's possible too. Hell anything is possible - as a bodybuilder you should already know this!:)

This might depend on your proximity to a gym and it's hours, or how often you go home if you have >300lbs of weights in your home. I really want to go to a school with a 24 hour gym.

Last edited:
Always make time for the gym. :)

But really, from what I've heard from students, they have plenty of time to do other things besides school. Some of the best advice I've heard is: Find a hobby and cling to it with your life, because you're more than just a medical student

Last edited:
I think it's possible, just depends on your will power. I imagine you'll have to make adjustments to your work out regimen and diet, but it's doable (I plan on continue to powerlift).

I also know a few surgery residents who bodybuild (and they're big), so that's possible too. Hell anything is possible - as a bodybuilder you should already know this!:)

Heh, I don't plan to compete or anything, I'd just like to keep up my fitness and not end up like some of my obese friends.

I had a panic moment this spring when I thought, "Would I rather be an obese physician or just stay where I'm at and be healthy?" I decided I'd rather stay where I was at and be healthy. Clarifying my health as a priority helped me get to a point where I don't worry much about getting fat in med school.

Heh, I don't plan to compete or anything, I'd just like to keep up my fitness and not end up like some of my obese friends.

You're always competing: With all the scrawnies in the Gym!

But really though, I think you'll be fine. Plus, this is probably one of the best hobbies you can have to cope with medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am a Vascular Surgery resident and always average 70-80hrs a week. I rock climb 3 days a week and run to and from the hospital (2 miles) every day. It helps that I am very efficient with my time and that I sleep 4-4.5 hours a night, but given the number of co-residents in the adjacent gen surg program who run 1-2 marathons a year and train year around for them (3-4 of them), I would say that it is easily possible.

You're always competing: With all the scrawnies in the Gym!

But really though, I think you'll be fine. Plus, this is probably one of the best hobbies you can have to cope with medical school.

Actually, the gym I attend caters to a very hardcore, competitive crowd, so despite training for a few years I'm one of the smallest people there.

I am a Vascular Surgery resident and always average 70-80hrs a week. I rock climb 3 days a week and run to and from the hospital (2 miles) every day. It helps that I am very efficient with my time and that I sleep 4-4.5 hours a night, but given the number of co-residents in the adjacent gen surg program who run 1-2 marathons a year and train year around for them (3-4 of them), I would say that it is easily possible.

4 hours of sleep a night? i'd want someone to kill me now...

4 hours of sleep a night? i'd want someone to kill me now...

seriously. if i got that much sleep i wouldnt have enough energy to lift or do anything. i will be a zombie

The kickboxing/ bootcamp class gym that I go to is located very close to a top 20 medical school and the affiliate hospitals. I know for a fact that 3 or 4 of the guys that I see every day in the gym are residents. As many have said, you make priorities and might have to plan well to fit it in, but it is definitely possible. I also am a gym buff, and I've already searched for high quality gyms in the vicinity of the medical schools that I have been accepted to. It's part of my life, and will remain that way....unless I'm only getting 4-4.5 hours of sleep: hell to the no.:scared:

4 hrs/week is roughly a half hour/day. Definitely feasible no matter who you are.

do you even lift?

Doable.
If you have your own home gym, VERY doable. Hell you can probably listen to lectures that you record when you lift. Hell, do you even lift?

Actually, the gym I attend caters to a very hardcore, competitive crowd, so despite training for a few years I'm one of the smallest people there.

Good motivation. There's a famous powerlifting coach who wrote about how important it is to not be the strongest person at the gym since it reduces your motivation to get better - always good to have people way above you as role models.

What's your routine btw?

OP, your problem is that your focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. As for me, I'm going to lift things up and put them down until the end of time, a la...

kai-greene.jpg

images

320159_342888169137669_1819857746_n.jpg

please dont ban me mods. i will remove if you dont like

^

Thank You BASED GOD

Gotta get on dat dere celltech brah

Good motivation. There's a famous powerlifting coach who wrote about how important it is to not be the strongest person at the gym since it reduces your motivation to get better - always good to have people way above you as role models.

What's your routine btw?

Or it motivates you to stay on top of your game because the next strongest guy will always be working hard to take your glory!

Thank you

OP I guess it comes down to how badly you want the aesthetic lifestyle

Easily.

The only thing you can't do in medical school is hold a full time 40hour/week job.

My close friend worked full time for the first 2 years of med school on and off as a paramedic, and is in the top 25% of my class. Beast mode enabled.

I am pleasantly surprised at the number of people who lift on SDN. Keep Makin Dem Gainzz.

Umm, I hate to admit but the gym is actually going to be a factor in choosing a med school. Yeah, I said it. And the fitness center needs to include a big size pool--or one VERY close it.

I think it's feasible to stay fit, if it doesn't take 30 minutes to walk to the gym and the gym doesn't feel like some dingy underground lair.

Umm, I hate to admit but the gym is actually going to be a factor in choosing a med school. Yeah, I said it. And the fitness center needs to include a big size pool--or one VERY close it.

I think it's feasible to stay fit, if it doesn't take 30 minutes to walk to the gym and the gym doesn't feel like some dingy underground lair.

Same here....not gonna be the defining factor, but there needs to be a good gym with good squat racks very close to campus if not on campus.

I agree. And to add, the free weights need to be directly between mirrors and the cardio machines, so that when I'm not mirin myself, I can be mirin them cardio bunnies :banana:

Reactions: 1 users
Ughh, you guys are the bane of my existence in the gym. Reason I'm switching to swimming--I'm tired of these old men oggling me at the gym. :p

Yeah, I know, don't hate the player, hate the game.

Nice to see people that lift here.

I powerlift so my maxes are

Squat:350
Bench:350
Deadlift:350

I never had any trouble lifting ~3-4 times a week except maybe right before exams.

I'm currently halfway through my intern year and I've never been bigger/stronger.

It's doable.

Nice to see people that lift here.

I powerlift so my maxes are

Squat:350
Bench:350
Deadlift:350

Congrats on getting the 1000lb club. Those are some nice numbers. Work and holiday hours have kept me out of the gym for the last week and a half. I haven't felt this weak since I started lifting.

Lol Thank you to the poster of that pic. :p

I'm hoping to find time for exercise as well. One of our med student tour guides said he had time to work out every day if I remember right. Although, he might have only been in his second year.

Hoping for the best. MD + six pack = badass. :p

But seriously though, I hope there's time to stay healthy. Would any med students care to share their workout schedules?

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

What is he focusing on in life that don't really matter?

The number of people on here that seem to lift regularly makes me feel like I'll fit in well in the medical school crowd. But I also realize this probably isn't a good representation of a typical class. :(

The number of people on here that seem to lift regularly makes me feel like I'll fit in well in the medical school crowd. But I also realize this probably isn't a good representation of a typical class. :(

In my class at least most people do some kind of exercise regularly. However there are only a handful of people that I know of that life regularly. You should be able to find some lifting buddies no problem if you're into that though.

(sent from my phone)

This is good. Now I just need to get my back repaired, get off my ass and back to the gym to real. Dem bishes will def be mirin after I get more mass in the lats and rhomboids, as well as cut some of the fat.

A good portion of the guys in my class lift regularly. I always see them at the gym (even during exam weeks).