Bodybuilding and Fitness in Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice to see people that lift here.

I powerlift so my maxes are

Squat:350
Bench:350
Deadlift:350

this is a weird total. you should squat more. also, at what bodyweight?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the club. We'll make a Powerlifter/Strongman/Olympic Lifter out of you someday (Definitely not a CrossNoober/CrossFitter though)

I still don't get what CrossFit is. :confused:

Sometimes when I do Oly lifts at the gym I wonder if people think I'm doing that. I guess doing clean and jerk/snatches always gets you weird looks though, people seem to do them less commonly. :rolleyes:

Me neither :confused:

Sometimes when I do Oly lifts at the gym I wonder if people think I'm doing that. I guess doing clean and jerk/snatches always gets you weird looks though, people seem to do them less commonly. :rolleyes:

One of my friends tried C&Jing at Planet Fitness and got thrown out for it. Apparently that's considered "lunking"

Nice to see people that lift here.

I powerlift so my maxes are

Squat:350
Bench:350
Deadlift:350

this is a weird total. you should squat more. also, at what bodyweight?

Agreed. Your deadlift seems oddly low compared to your squat and bench. Is it perhaps because you have short limbs?

My 5RMs are

S: 320lbs B: 200lbs D: 410lbs @ 5' 11" and 200lbs

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friends tried C&Jing at Planet Fitness and got thrown out for it. Apparently that's considered "lunking"

Haha, do they really have an alarm that goes off for that? For some reason I imagine that gym having these like, security guards and alarms everywhere. Honestly though, I don't see how it could be "lunking" unless you're screaming and/or carelessly dropping the bar like a *****. It's pretty easy to minimize noise with Oly lifts, especially if you're going for multiple reps. (Like you said, deadlifts are louder haha)

I sense some jealousy?
95EHo.gif

^Nah. I just don't have the need for any new-fangled, fancy things like that. I guess I'm just a no frills, minimalist sort of guy. I'm training for rugby, so there's just certain stuff that works, and there's no need to do weird stuff like that.

More impressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1nCe9iZ2u0

Last edited:
was trolling about my lifts.

My 1RM squat is 385, Bench is 260, deadlift is 455 at 6ft, 190

was trolling about my lifts.

My 1RM squat is 385, Bench is 260, deadlift is 455 at 6ft, 190

How are your guys squats/deads so high? My 5RM Squat is only 225, Dead 225, and Bench is 215. @165

Do you guys even do legs?

I mean who will honestly be mirin' all these chicken legged muscle men?
Girls like quads and hams sooooo much more than biceps and traps.

(not srs)

Haha, do they really have an alarm that goes off for that? For some reason I imagine that gym having these like, security guards and alarms everywhere. Honestly though, I don't see how it could be "lunking" unless you're screaming and/or carelessly dropping the bar like a *****. It's pretty easy to minimize noise with Oly lifts, especially if you're going for multiple reps. (Like you said, deadlifts are louder haha)

It's a blue flashing light hooked up to a tornado siren that goes off whenever someone's making too much noise, or doing something too intense like deadlifts. In fact, the Planet Fitness my friend was at actually banned deadlifts b/c some personal "trainer" saw him doing it and told on him to the gym staff.

I sense some jealousy?
95EHo.gif

Ooooooooooooohhh. Doing cartwheels with a 95lb bar? Sounds tough and absolutely useful

How are your guys squats/deads so high? My 5RM Squat is only 225, Dead 225, and Bench is 215. @165

Deads usually beat squats at first in terms of progress, but then those ratios start equalizing.

With you, is your form right? Or perhaps do you have short limbs?

Last edited:
For what its worth, and I am really letting the cat out of the bag here, all of the competitive residencies use the "bench + board score" as the true metric for academic and personal success.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed at/been to a med school with a good gym? I just realized that all of the ones I've been to are kind of crummy, and most students go to the gym somewhere in town.

Cinci..

Rack in the med student lounge and gym in the basement.

For what its worth, and I am really letting the cat out of the bag here, all of the competitive residencies use the "bench + board score" as the true metric for academic and personal success.

success.jpg

EDIT: Wait, what if you're a girl?

EDIT 2: If I have a 600 bench, does that make up for a weak board score?

Cinci..

Rack in the med student lounge and gym in the basement.

Got an interview invite to cincy but wasent planning on going... but this might change my mind lol

do you squat high bar or low bar?

Squatting low bar will help you squat more, since you will be using your glutes more.

Id watch the Westside Barbell "So you think you can squat/bench series" It helps a lot then you can keep reading and figuring out little things to fix.

(Probably shouldn't turn this into a lifting advice thread, but.........): Drop the weight a bit, and work on your Squat form. You need to break parallel while keeping your knees back and your chest out (watch some powerlifting vids). As for deads, same thing - chest up, squeeze your glutes and pull from your legs by bringing your hips forward (probably my most sloppy lift, so sorry if this description sounds weird). If you are truly using good form, your squat and deads should shoot up - either that or you also aren't going low enough on your bench, resulting in the strange numbers.

My 5Rep sets are 200/265/300ish and I'm 5'5'' 158, and I think this is a more normal proportioned split.

EDIT 2: If I have a 600 bench, does that make up for a weak board score?

Only if you are trying to match into ortho :)

I'm not the biggest fan of UCSF's gym, but Emory has a really nice one. You have to share it with the undergraduates at Emory, though.

Went there for undergrad. Definitely one of my favorite things about the place :thumbup:

Squatting low bar will help you squat more, since you will be using your glutes more.

Id watch the Westside Barbell "So you think you can squat/bench series" It helps a lot then you can keep reading and figuring out little things to fix.

High bar. I've watched the videos. Perhaps I could use work on my form more though. Thanks.

(Probably shouldn't turn this into a lifting advice thread, but.........): Drop the weight a bit, and work on your Squat form. You need to break parallel while keeping your knees back and your chest out (watch some powerlifting vids). As for deads, same thing - chest up, squeeze your glutes and pull from your legs by bringing your hips forward (probably my most sloppy lift, so sorry if this description sounds weird). If you are truly using good form, your squat and deads should shoot up - either that or you also aren't going low enough on your bench, resulting in the strange numbers.

My 5Rep sets are 200/265/300ish and I'm 5'5'' 158, and I think this is a more normal proportioned split.

Thanks for the advice. Probably will drop the weight and work on form. I do go to parallel at least for every rep, and touch my chest every rep for bench.

High bar. I've watched the videos. Perhaps I could use work on my form more though. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. Probably will drop the weight and work on form. I do go to parallel at least for every rep, and touch my chest every rep for bench.

I high bar too....low bar is tough on my shoulders, but I have also heard that it allows you to squat a bit more.

The neusu score: bench/10+Step 1

Anything about 290 is competitive

:laugh: I'm totally bookmarking this thread so that I can come back to it in the future when I'm applying for residency and calculate my neuru score.

Both help your squat. There's no distinction. However, the low bar lets you do better on both your squats and deadlifts since it better mimics the position at which you start your deadlift (Rippetoe).

Probably shouldn't turn this into a lifting advice thread, but.........): Drop the weight a bit, and work on your Squat form. You need to break parallel while keeping your knees back and your chest out

Rippetoe argues heavily against going past parallel since it kills hamstring tension and prevents you from using your stored hamstring tension from bouncing back up. Also, going below parallel for a lot of people seems to slow down their progress, but if it's working for you then go ahead and do it.

As for deads, same thing - chest up, squeeze your glutes and pull from your legs by bringing your hips forward (probably my most sloppy lift, so sorry if this description sounds weird). If you are truly using good form, your squat and deads should shoot up - either that or you also aren't going low enough on your bench, resulting in the strange numbers.

That's a good description. To give you another perspective, my cues are that I first line up the bar over my mid-foot, then I lower my hips and lower my back until my shoulder blades are directly above the bar. After that, I straighten out my back (you might need to experiment with the bar to see what cues help you straighten out your back since I think that this differs from individual to individual, and having a spotter here can greatly help), and mentally think of lifting with my hips (This mental representation actives the hip drive motion) while slightly picking up with my back. I'll then get the bar up, and lock it out by straightening out my spine, and not overextending it back like a lot of people in the gym do. I'll then hold it up for a few seconds as "proof" that I have control over the bar, and then slowly lower it down.

But on the straightening out back thing, it'll get better as you go along since you'll need cues at first about how to line up everything, and then you'll eventually develop the ability to just go into that form and recognize when you're curving your back - without the assistance of any videos of you doing it or any spotters.

One more thing. Don't look up when doing the deadlift or the squat since that kills back tension - it's important to keep the cervical spine aligned straight with respect to your thoracic and lumber segments.

Only if you are trying to match into ortho :)
:naughty:

I high bar too....low bar is tough on my shoulders, but I have also heard that it allows you to squat a bit more.

Really? I thought it was a lot easier on me since high bar was killing me.

Last edited:
If you want to quickly add weight to your squat switch to a powerlifting squat.

This will tell differences:
http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-squat

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The image for the low bar squat is wrong - thumbs go on top of the bar not the bottom. Otherwise you can really badly hurt your wrists.

EDIT: I also just noticed that his hand position is wrong. You do NOT put your hands that wide while holding the bar since it decreases the effectiveness of the support created by the scapular process when you're doing the low bar squat. And the "powerlifting" squat is a highly specialized variation that is specially tailored for each individual based on their anthropomorphy - there is NO reason why a novice should even be trying to do that since it is highly dangerous and will impede their progress.

smh @ Rippetoe's fascination with low bar squats.

This is how real men squat:

[youtube]rl3Vldo7x4c[/youtube]

Rippetoe is disappoint

[YOUTUBE]mC5-g1Ugmgc[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
If you aren't following his advice, YNDTP.

What does that stand for? I just don't get looking down while squating...

Also I don't like gallon of milk a day which he seems to think is the greatest.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The image for the low bar squat is wrong - thumbs go on top of the bar not the bottom. Otherwise you can really badly hurt your wrists.

Rippetoe is disappoint

[YOUTUBE]mC5-g1Ugmgc[/YOUTUBE]

I think its just meant to show the placement

Rippetoe argues heavily against going past parallel since it kills hamstring tension and prevents you from using your stored hamstring tension from bouncing back up. Also, going below parallel for a lot of people seems to slow down their progress, but if it's working for you then go ahead and do it.

When I say "break parallel", I'm certainly not advocating sitting back to your ankles or anything like that....If I were to watch my bones alone, I would imagine that my skeleton/femurs are probably pretty close to parallel....but I strive to break parallel because as far as looking at your legs in the mirror, this is where I have the most powerful squat. I don't think I'm losing stored hamstring tension, and this motion feels the most natural to me - my knees also feel so much better when I dip to slightly below "parallel" before finishing the rep.

That being said, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. You want to squat in the way that best works for you. Gotta find that sweet spot! You sound like you know what you're talking about, which is certainly leaps and bounds above most squatters (and lifters in general).

I love that so many of us future doctors are avid lifters. I hope at whichever school I attend I can find some buddies to hit the gym with after dissection and blast out some squats :cool:

Does anyone else love watching really skinny guys load up a decent amount of weight on the bar and then 1/4th squat it? For some reason I find it rly entertaining.

If you want to quickly add weight to your squat switch to a powerlifting squat.

This will tell differences:
http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-squat

I'm definitely not into that squatting form :eek: Some of the powerlifters I lift with squat a bit wider when they compete, but I'm into getting stronger not adding weight, and I can see this hurting a lot! (Also seen some injuries!). I've always been pretty satisfied with my squat, and with my current form I went up like 60-70 lbs in 5 months (before I got sick, which is another story entirely)

Does anyone else love watching really skinny guys load up a decent amount of weight on the bar and then 1/4th squat it? For some reason I find it rly entertaining.

I'd say the # of people who do 1/4 squats far outweighs the # of people who do full-ROM squats. For a lot of "bros" ego takes over and then the 1/4 squats happen...

On a lighter note, how about watching a really skinny guy put 380 lbs over his head?

[youtube]kl9_lCPpsYQ[/youtube]

What does that stand for? I just don't get looking down while squating...

It's his famous You're Not Doing The Program phase

Also I don't like gallon of milk a day which he seems to think is the greatest.

Yeah, it's tough, but I've made some amazing gains on it, but it's also come at the cost of a lot of fat.

When I say "break parallel", I'm certainly not advocating sitting back to your ankles or anything like that....If I were to watch my bones alone, I would imagine that my skeleton/femurs are probably pretty close to parallel....but I strive to break parallel because as far as looking at your legs in the mirror, this is where I have the most powerful squat. I don't think I'm losing stored hamstring tension, and this motion feels the most natural to me - my knees also feel so much better when I dip to slightly below "parallel" before finishing the rep.

That being said, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. You want to squat in the way that best works for you. Gotta find that sweet spot!

Absolutely. Everybody's got different mental representations, and if it works for them they shouldn't change it. When you're starting out, you just have to play around with the bar until you build yours. That's the best way imho of doing it.

You sound like you know what you're talking about, which is certainly leaps and bounds above most squatters (and lifters in general).

Thanks and so do you!

I love that so many of us future doctors are avid lifters. I hope at whichever school I attend I can find some buddies to hit the gym with after dissection and blast out some squats :cool:

We're probably going to end up being the FOA: the Future Orthos of America

I'd say the # of people who do 1/4 squats far outweighs the # of people who do full-ROM squats. For a lot of "bros" ego takes over and the 1/4 squats happen...

Even better, it's funny and painful seeing people trying to deadlift more weight than they can handle with absolutely terrible form.

I'm definitely not into that squatting form :eek: Some of the powerlifters I lift with squat a bit wider when they compete, but I'm into getting stronger not adding weight, and I can see this hurting a lot! (Also seen some injuries!). I've always been pretty satisfied with my squat, and with my current form I went up like 60-70 lbs in 5 months (before I got sick, which is another story entirely)

I personally don't like powerlifting squat form either. Low bar really hurt my shoulder last year, and it made me quit lifting for awhile :(

Atm I'm doing high bar, atg, 2 second pause squats. It's rly fun for whatever reason.

I've still never had a gym buddy at school. Everyone at the gym at school is really unfriendly for some reason. :( Also, I swear it's just the same people working out their biceps and chest every day. haha

I personally don't like powerlifting squat form either. Low bar really hurt my shoulder last year, and it made me quit lifting for awhile :(

Atm I'm doing high bar, atg, 2 second pause squats. It's rly fun for whatever reason.

If you're going nice and low, squats are just so much fun....and you feel awesome afterward too which is a plus. Love that rush of adrenaline and testosterone after completing a strong set!

I've still never had a gym buddy at school. Everyone at the gym at school is really unfriendly for some reason. :( Also, I swear it's just the same people working out their biceps and chest every day. haha

I feel you bud....most of my work out buddies have been just friends of mine that I try to get back into lifting. But after 6 yrs at the same gym, I've started to find a few good regulars that are enjoyable to lift with. Later at night it seems like people there are less of jerks, and most good lifters can recognize another good lifter (form and such) and are likely to target each other at the gym to spot/compare routines etc.

Lot of gym dudes/bros can be jerks/idiots, but just remember....no matter how much weight someone can muscle up with terrible form, you look way better lifting with great form and you're gonna end up having much better gains and core strength.

this would be hilarity, knowing gunna med students, everyone would be on dat clen trenace testprop t3 craze.

lettuce be reality. whey, not even once. :naughty:

P90X is the answer bros. Tony Horton is hilarious.

p90 is for chicks and manlets

Last edited:
this would be hilarity, knowing gunna med students, everyone would be on dat clen trenace testprop t3 craze.

lettuce be reality. whey, not even once. :naughty:

p90 is for chicks and manlets

strong misc

I hear about SS all the time on reddit but I've never been able to find a good guide for it. Where do you find the right workouts for you?

You buy the book and do what it says lol. Squats, deads, OHP, bench, power cleans (+ chin ups/pull ups).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile