1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Bodybuilding-Supplementals/Vitamins

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by YiYaoYue, Jan 2, 2009.

1. YiYaoYue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm just curious:

Is it only sports or nutritional (or nutrition support) pharmacists that learn about what type of supplemental tablets/green drinks/foods/etc are good to take in order to improve muscle gain and/or overall health or do all pharmacists learn a bit about those things? What about drug interactions?

Or is pharmacy not at all related to those types of things even in specialty?

#1 YiYaoYue, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I know they weren't really touched on in our "Self-Care" (OTC) class. Since most of them are OTC that's where they'd most likely be covered. Probably something you'd have to read up on on your own. Though there might be an elective course that covers them.

4. Aznfarmerboi

Aznfarmerboi Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    A pharmacists should have gone through enough to be well informed in making recommendations on nutrition but not as well as a nutritionist. A pharmacist should know more than enough on the subject for drug interactions, nutrition counseling, parental administration of drug compound, majority of drug and disease states relating to nutrition, toxicology,etc.

However subjects like muscle building, green tea, etc. . . are more of extra reading and special projects than basic teachings.

5. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    They were covered in my elective course on Complementary and Alternative Medicine.

6. Pharmacy Kid

U.S. Public Health Service 10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Like what most of the posters said, you don't learn a great variety of performance/health enhancing drugs. I'm a P2 and so far we did learn about carb/protein/fat requirements in our therapy class. Your school might provide you an elective in alternative meds and that's where you'll probably learn the most in school. Besides that, you'll have to do your own work.

I read a lot about and make my own concoctions of performance drugs. Here are some resources you may find helpful.

DeLee: DeLee and Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, 2nd ed.

Advanced Sports Nutrition
    http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Sports-Nutrition-Dan-Benardot/dp/0736059415/ref=pd_sim_b_1

7. YiYaoYue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    lol i probably shouldn't have put bodybuilding.. .just wanted to make sure people know what I was asking. I do find stuff on steroids and how they affect the body interesting and was just wondering if you learn about it in pharmacy school, but I am more interesting in providing patients with good supplements to optimize their exercise/work outs to maintain good health. More of a preventative medicine against all the bad things that come with being overweight or out of shape.

8. PharMed2016

PharMed2016 Eternal Scholar
    Physician Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I do know that if you take some caffiene before a workout, it actually helps your performance during that workout more. That's because caffiene releases triglycerides from adipocytes.

9. Requiem

Requiem Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

We covered drugs of abuse in special populations - we had a 2 hour slot on drugs of abuse by athletes. Covered anabolic steroids, creatine, HGH, EPO, B-blockers, diuretics, etc.

10. SpirivaSunrise

SpirivaSunrise Go Gators!
    Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Almost all of the exposure we received was in the form of electives, aside from the large section of minerals/vitamins in OTC:

#9 SpirivaSunrise, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  11. acetyl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I wish they would put my good old fashion Ephedra back on the market. That stuff could make you sweat while sleeping or laying down.

I used to put it in my pizza sauce of my large meat lover's pizza. That way, I could get big, and ripped! :smuggrin::smuggrin: