Bodybuilding-Supplementals/Vitamins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YiYaoYue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious:

Is it only sports or nutritional (or nutrition support) pharmacists that learn about what type of supplemental tablets/green drinks/foods/etc are good to take in order to improve muscle gain and/or overall health or do all pharmacists learn a bit about those things? What about drug interactions?

Or is pharmacy not at all related to those types of things even in specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm just curious:

Is it only sports or nutritional (or nutrition support) pharmacists that learn about what type of supplemental tablets/green drinks/foods/etc are good to take in order to improve muscle gain and/or overall health or do all pharmacists learn a bit about those things? What about drug interactions?

I know they weren't really touched on in our "Self-Care" (OTC) class. Since most of them are OTC that's where they'd most likely be covered. Probably something you'd have to read up on on your own. Though there might be an elective course that covers them.

I'm just curious:

A pharmacists should have gone through enough to be well informed in making recommendations on nutrition but not as well as a nutritionist. A pharmacist should know more than enough on the subject for drug interactions, nutrition counseling, parental administration of drug compound, majority of drug and disease states relating to nutrition, toxicology,etc.

However subjects like muscle building, green tea, etc. . . are more of extra reading and special projects than basic teachings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like what most of the posters said, you don't learn a great variety of performance/health enhancing drugs. I'm a P2 and so far we did learn about carb/protein/fat requirements in our therapy class. Your school might provide you an elective in alternative meds and that's where you'll probably learn the most in school. Besides that, you'll have to do your own work.

I read a lot about and make my own concoctions of performance drugs. Here are some resources you may find helpful.

DeLee: DeLee and Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, 2nd ed.

Advanced Sports Nutrition
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Sports-Nutrition-Dan-Benardot/dp/0736059415/ref=pd_sim_b_1

lol i probably shouldn't have put bodybuilding.. .just wanted to make sure people know what I was asking. I do find stuff on steroids and how they affect the body interesting and was just wondering if you learn about it in pharmacy school, but I am more interesting in providing patients with good supplements to optimize their exercise/work outs to maintain good health. More of a preventative medicine against all the bad things that come with being overweight or out of shape.

lol i probably shouldn't have put bodybuilding.. .just wanted to make sure people know what I was asking. I do find stuff on steroids and how they affect the body interesting and was just wondering if you learn about it in pharmacy school, but I am more interesting in providing patients with good supplements to optimize their exercise/work outs to maintain good health. More of a preventative medicine against all the bad things that come with being overweight or out of shape.

I do know that if you take some caffiene before a workout, it actually helps your performance during that workout more. That's because caffiene releases triglycerides from adipocytes.

We covered drugs of abuse in special populations - we had a 2 hour slot on drugs of abuse by athletes. Covered anabolic steroids, creatine, HGH, EPO, B-blockers, diuretics, etc.

Almost all of the exposure we received was in the form of electives, aside from the large section of minerals/vitamins in OTC:

PHA 5511—Survey of Complementary Therapies
Course provides students with information about complementary therapies, which are frequently seen or could be recommended, for various disease states. Nutritional supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathic remedies, etc; proper dosing, side effects, drug and disease state interactions; considerations in recommending complementary therapies.

PHA 5513—Dietary Supplements in Complementary and Alternative Medicine: An Evidence-Based Approach
Course familiarizes the student with the most commonly used dietary supplements. The context of dietary supplement use from economic, psychosocial, and regulatory perspectives is used to build the foundation for decision-making processes. The course uses problem-based learning and case studies to evaluate the safety and efficacy of individual dietary supplements. In the first half of the course, individual dietary supplements are used to illustrate important general concepts. In the second half, the most popular dietary supplements are presented, divided up by the body system they are used to treat. Prerequisite:P3 Standing

PHA 5223—Drugs of Abuse
This course covers types of substances abused, methods and routes of administration, the pertinent toxicokinetics, the pharmacological /toxicological mechanisms and the clinical manifestations of drug abuse. Treatment of intoxication and withdrawal, societal impact of drug abuse, legal implications, and current trends of substance abuse. Prerequisites: Pharmacodynamics I and II.

Last edited:
I wish they would put my good old fashion Ephedra back on the market. That stuff could make you sweat while sleeping or laying down.

I used to put it in my pizza sauce of my large meat lover's pizza. That way, I could get big, and ripped! :smuggrin::smuggrin: