Army BOLC 2016 Specific Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmericanHero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I have recently started to think about the future and of course BOLC came to mind. I'm graduating end of May, going to 1 year AEGD and just now read a phenomenal post a few lines bellow this one titled "Army BOLC 2015 - what was it like." A really phenomenal job with that post. Having read it, I now have a few specific questions that some of you may help me answer.

1) Are we placed in a hotel room for the full 6 weeks. Meaning, a my allowed to leave my belongings in the hotel room while we are doing the 3 week field training (my understanding is that there is no going back to the hotel room at the end of the day for those 3 weeks)? Or do we pack our bags and put them somewhere in storage after the 3 weeks of classroom lectures are done? The reason I'm asking is because I intend to bring my laptop and a few other valuables with me.
2) Are we only allowed to wear eyeglasses that they give us? One of the posts mentioned they give people specific eye wear. I personally wear contact lenses and only use glasses at night before bed. Are people allowed to wear contact lenses during the 3 weeks of field training or must you wear the provided eyewear? Can I wear my personal glasses?
3) Still haven't received ANY orders for BOLC or AEGD therefore I don't know how soon the AEGD starts after BOLC ends. What is the usual amount of down time do they give between the two programs? When I do get the orders for BOLC, will it come with detailed instructions regarding making travel arrangements to the destination?
4) If I buy uniforms before BOLC, do I bring the receipt with me to BOLC or do I submit them online for reimbursement? Is the uniform allowance a 1 time thing and the remaining money disappear after the reimbursement is payed or can I buy more equipment until the limit is reached. I don't want to buy the official blue uniform which I guess is used for graduation until I need it. I only want to buy the sweat shirts/pants for the BOLC. (I know these uniforms have specific abbreviations but I don't remember them, sorry)
5) I read that they don't allow/have limited shower during the 3 week field training. Is that true? If it is, I guess we are allowed to bring a bag with extra uniforms?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I did it in 2014, but might still be able to answer a few questions.

1. Yes, you can leave your things in the hotel. They'll give you a bag to take to field training. During the 3 weeks of field training, you return to the hotel on the weekends.

2. You can wear your own glasses/contacts.

3. Not sure about the AEGD. I think on your BOLC orders there will be a number you need to call to make your flight arrangements. If not, they might send it to you in an email.

4. Maybe it's different now, but I didn't get reimbursed for uniforms. They give you a $1,000 equipment allowance... but I think it's deducted from one of your paychecks? You don't need the dress uniform to graduate BOLC, but if you're going to active duty immediately after, you will need them for that. You definitely won't need the sweatshirt/sweatpants for BOLC - it's 80 - 110 degrees. Even in the morning its in the 60s - 70s.

5. We were allowed to take a shower every day during field training, but there will usually be a line and you're supposed to limit yourself to ~5 minutes. You should definitely bring extra uniforms in the bag they give you since you'll only be returning to the hotel on the weekends.

If this was different for any 2015 people, feel free to correct me.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe it's different now, but I didn't get reimbursed for uniforms. They give you a $1,000 equipment allowance... but I think it's deducted from one of your paychecks? You don't need the dress uniform to graduate BOLC, but if you're going to active duty immediately after, you will need them for that. You definitely won't need the sweatshirt/sweatpants for BOLC - it's 80 - 110 degrees. Even in the morning its in the 60s - 70s.

The $1,000.00 is an advance pay on your first active duty paycheck (they will deduct it from your first active duty check). The uniform allowance ($400.00) will be paid on your first active duty paycheck. So, the Army gives you $1000.00, takes it back on the first check, but pays you and additional $400.00 on top of your active duty pay on the same paycheck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Officers are not reimbursed for uniforms. However, you are given a one time payment of 600 dollars when you start onto active duty for your uniform allowance. Obviously that doesn't cover the full cost of everything you'll ever need for uniforms but it at least can take the sting out of it a little bit. Enlisted guys are given a uniform allowance that allows them to basically replace 1 set per year if they wanted to. But the Army figures that officers can afford to buy their own uniforms for the rest of their life because they have a larger paycheck.

And thanks for the shout out on my BOLC 2015 post.

@AmericanHero This is slightly off topic but did you receive your AEGD order many months before your graduation date? If so, around what time of the year did you receive yours? Thanks in advance.

@Luna724 So I actually still don't have the physical orders in my hands, recent email said it should be emailed to everyone by the end of April HOWEVER, they actually called me late February if memory serves me right to let me know WHERE I will be stationed and gave me an opportunity to ask any questions I had. Mid March the actual base emailed me a welcome letter. The actual finding out if I got accepted into AEGD was at the same time as the rest of the specialties I believe. Or maybe a week before, I don't remember.

@Luna724 So I actually still don't have the physical orders in my hands, recent email said it should be emailed to everyone by the end of April HOWEVER, they actually called me late February if memory serves me right to let me know WHERE I will be stationed and gave me an opportunity to ask any questions I had. Mid March the actual base emailed me a welcome letter. The actual finding out if I got accepted into AEGD was at the same time as the rest of the specialties I believe. Or maybe a week before, I don't remember.
Awesome! Thanks for the insight. I will have to move in advance to whatever my future order will be as soon as I graduate which is also when I'll be planning to attend BOLC training. I hope your training goes well.

I've heard it can be useful to have a CamelBak for BOLC. Is it worth buying one before I get there? If so, what color should I get, Multicam or Black? And are we allowed to wear it with workout uniform, OCPs, etc?

Where can I find this years packing list for BOLC? Threads from previous years say it can be found at http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/bolc/ under the the "Resources" menu on the right-hand side but it looks like the link may have been removed? Anyone have a direct link to this years packing list?

Hopefully I'm not overlooking something mega obvious lol

I recommend anyone going to BOLC this June to call the AMEDD BOLC folks at (210) 221-8355. They emailed me the BOLC Student Handbook for this year which includes the official packing list. Also they provided me with maps of the base, lodging information, and other general information that is useful. The BOLC Student Handbook is about 16MB in size but I copied a few of the pages and put them into a condensed version if people want to get a feel for what to bring. You'll definitely want the entire handbook though.

Attachments

• Condensed 2016 BOLC Packing List.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 133
I recommend anyone going to BOLC this June to call the AMEDD BOLC folks at (210) 221-8355. They emailed me the BOLC Student Handbook for this year which includes the official packing list. Also they provided me with maps of the base, lodging information, and other general information that is useful. The BOLC Student Handbook is about 16MB in size but I copied a few of the pages and put them into a condensed version if people want to get a feel for what to bring. You'll definitely want the entire handbook though.
You sir, are a saint and a scholar.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was wondering if anyone could elaborate one why they recommend bringing a printer.