BOLC DL: A cautionary tale

Started by JamesL
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JamesL

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a heads up for those who have to do the BOLC distance learning/online training prior to BOLC.

You have 1 year to complete it all before it expires and you have to do it all again.

Being all hooah I signed up to do it just after I commissioned thinking I would be on the first plane to BOLC. Well 1.5 years later (thanks to COVID deployments and riots), I still haven't gotten a slot to even go to DCC. Completed around 40% before it expired so I have to do it all again.

I was under the impression that you had to complete the DL BOLC within a year of in person BOLC for it to be valid. I've talked to several folks and this might not be true - they say they as long as you have the complete certificates in hand, no one at BOLC seems to care when it was done. Of course this might be class/instructor dependent so caveat emporium.

So my lesson is either wait until you have a BOLC date before starting online BOLC; or do it all within a year if you feel like a risk taker.

Stay safe out there!
 
Just a heads up for those who have to do the BOLC distance learning/online training prior to BOLC.

You have 1 year to complete it all before it expires and you have to do it all again.

Being all hooah I signed up to do it just after I commissioned thinking I would be on the first plane to BOLC. Well 1.5 years later (thanks to COVID deployments and riots), I still haven't gotten a slot to even go to DCC. Completed around 40% before it expired so I have to do it all again.

I was under the impression that you had to complete the DL BOLC within a year of in person BOLC for it to be valid. I've talked to several folks and this might not be true - they say they as long as you have the complete certificates in hand, no one at BOLC seems to care when it was done. Of course this might be class/instructor dependent so caveat emporium.

So my lesson is either wait until you have a BOLC date before starting online BOLC; or do it all within a year if you feel like a risk taker.

Stay safe out there!

Unless something has changed the school house at BOLC doesn't seem to care when BOLC phase 1 was completed, just as long as you have a certificate of completion in hand when you in process.