BOLC Long Course Details

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VArmyMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I'll be completing residency in June and attending the BOLC Long Course from 15July-15September. I was just wondering if anybody had some information on the logistics on the longs course? Where we stay? daily or weekly schedule? Number of weeks in "the field?" Days off? etc

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

My information is the better part of a decade old, but because you're not getting any other responses...

Unless you are permanent party at FSH after BOLC, then you'll stay in a hotel of some sort. For my course, most students stayed in a Hilton and were bused in, with overflow staying at the on-post lodge(s). Unless you are field grade or very lucky, then you'll have a roommate.

We had three weeks (M-F) in the field pretty late in the course. Before that, day-to-day schedule is highly dependent on the cadre assigned to your platoon, with the exception of class-wide things, like PT.

My information is the better part of a decade old, but because you're not getting any other responses...

Unless you are permanent party at FSH after BOLC, then you'll stay in a hotel of some sort. For my course, most students stayed in a Hilton and were bused in, with overflow staying at the on-post lodge(s). Unless you are field grade or very lucky, then you'll have a roommate.

We had three weeks (M-F) in the field pretty late in the course. Before that, day-to-day schedule is highly dependent on the cadre assigned to your platoon, with the exception of class-wide things, like PT.
Yes you’ll have 3 weeks in the tents when the short course folks join you.

Don’t forget you have to pass a PT test. That’s basically the only real pass/fail of the entire course other than being able to lift your corner of a litter.

If you cannot pass Apft you fail bolc

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Folks,
I'll be completing residency in June and attending the BOLC Long Course from 15July-15September. I was just wondering if anybody had some information on the logistics on the longs course? Where we stay? daily or weekly schedule? Number of weeks in "the field?" Days off? etc

Thanks for the help!

I am in the same situation and wondering similar things. I haven't gotten any sort of welcome letter or anything. If I find anything out I'll post, but I'm interested to see if anyone else has insight.

Dang.....my experience is nearly 10 years ago as well. Has it really been that long?!?

BOLC was my first “real” Army experience, as it was for most in my class, so I didn’t know what to expect. So unless things have changed drastically what I say may or may not be true at all. Take it with a huge grain of salt. If you’re a butter bar just nod and say yes sir when the cadre tell you what to do or yell at you and you don’t know why. Let them have their moment, don’t get smart. Some people in my class would get smart because hey...we are future doctors and they can’t yell at us like that dang it! Whatever....just take it so as to avoid problems. Not sure if they make everyone wear the same rank for BOLC (I’m probably confusing that with another military school)

Be ready to hurry up and wait....a lot. And then some more. Your fellow students will be “in charge” of platoons and squads so we constantly had formations before the formation before the formation because no one wanted to get yelled at. Unless you are super hooa-hooa be very happy you don’t get assigned as anything other than maybe squad leader. The poor guy that got the S1 job was constantly having to show up early, stay late and beg everyone to get their documents turned in. I stayed in an on-post billeting and had a roommate. Periodic housekeeping and daily breakfast were nice. Room had A/C and that was probably the greatest blessing while being down there during the summer. Be in shape and ace the first APFT because for us if you did that life was so much easier. Those that failed had to get up early several times a week and do PT while the rest of us didn’t have any more PT requirements the rest of the time we were there. Don’t be the guy that cries during the test (yes....some poor soul broke down crying while trying to do sit ups)

If you have money to spare renting a car is a bonus. It allows you to have fun in town on the weekends without having to deal with taxis. I ate way too much good food down on the river while I was there. Went golfing a few times as well. Saw some movies. All made possible by my roommate (and med school classmate as well) having rented a car.

As someone mentioned, the three weeks of class are highly dependent on the cadre. Some groups were out much earlier than others (by 1-2 hours on some days). It all depends on how much they want to lecture. For someone not knowing anything Army I found a lot of it kind of interesting. Some of it was downright, dreadfully boring. Just gotta hunt the good stuff.

The “field” wasn’t bad. Just hot. We had showers the second week we went out. We would leave early Monday morning and come back Friday late afternoon. Get your bag and run to the laundry facility as fast as humanly possible when you get back each Friday (if staying in onpost billet) cuz those suckers will be packed and backed up with everyone else wanting to do the same.

From what I recall the packing list is pretty basic. A couple uniforms, a few PTs, some civilian clothes for the weekend were sufficient. A million copies of your orders and other documents they tell you to bring (ok I’m exaggerating but seriously....everyone, everywhere will want a copy when you are in-processing so make plenty of copies). For my class there was a big panic about having ASU uniform but we did not need it and they never inspected it or even brought it up.

What else....don’t fall asleep during big group lectures. The cadre take great joy in calling people out in front of everyone. Don’t wear your sunglasses on your head if they aren’t on your eyes. Keep your uniform dress right dress cuz whenever you are out on post walking to places everyone knows who the BOLC students are.

Oh what else....this is becoming too long but it’s kinda fun thinking about those long, drawn out days that I don’t have to relive. Bring your laptop. That way you can type up any papers/report they have you do in your room and then just print it off in the library rather than having to fight for a spot while everyone else is trying to get theirs done. Just my thoughts from dusting off the cobwebs....don’t claim to be an expert.

Reactions: 1 users