Book Review and Recommended Readings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc 2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I know I saw a recommended books section on here for people wanting to read before they go to school, not study, just read. I have read several over the past couple of months and thought I would give you a report.

:thumbup: Body of Knowledge - One semester of gross anatomy, the gateway to becoming a doctor.

This book started out great, walked you through all of GA, really lets you know what to expect. IMO, this book really goes to much into the emotional understanding of the experiences. It talks about horrific reactions by the students, which I think were all more for entertainment than fact. I walked away from this book thinking, "well glad that ones over." Well written, but way to long. It drones on and on much like I'm doing so next.

:thumbdown: A not entirely bening procedure

This started out pretty funny. The author really sounds like an old hippy and she adds a lot of humor in the book, mainly imo, to hide the fact that it is a poor pitiful me story of how great she is, and how hard raising a child is in medical school. Any girls out there thinking of having a baby, get this one, she'll tell you all aobut it. Again this one goes way to far into the emotional toll of medschool and does not speak clearly enough into what the profession or our lives over the next four years will be like.

:thumbdown: Becoming a doctor

Much like the last is a pity party. "Oh, how hard my first encounter was with a patient. How weird it was to first touch a patient, put in a foley, etc." It about made me want to puke. I really came away thinking what I weakling. I found myself saying, grow a set, sack up, and do the work. At times I would look at the cover to make sure it was written by a physician not a nurse. Anyway stay away from that one.

:thumbup: This Ain't ER

This book is awesome! While i haven't finished it completely I'm going to go ahead and talk about it. It basically relives a guy's journey through Bayview's General Surgery Program and through his CT fellowship. What is great is that he has essays inserted througout the book that are dated throughout his training. It really talks about how whiny people can be, and the solid foundations of training that we have here in the states. He takes a no-nonsense approach, short to the point. It is written just as the change to the 80 hour work week took place, and he's feelings on it are very clear. This is not a book for whiners, but if you really want to see the way doctors should think, read this book.

Another book that I would recommend is Learning to Play God. Not sure who wrote it, i read it early on in undergrad, to far to give a large statement, but it left an impression on me.

Disclaimer - These are my own opinons on the books I have read over the past couple months. I'll tell you that Verbal was my lowest section, and I am in no way a literary scholar. Hell, it has taken alot of my will to set down and finish these.

Please post more on here if you have additional books or have read these. I would love to have had something like this to refer to during my undergrad. I'll add more as I get through them. I have a whole stack I bought from half.com

Members don't see this ad.

Doc 2b said:
:thumbup: Body of Knowledge - One semester of gross anatomy, the gateway to becoming a doctor.

This book started out great, walked you through all of GA, really lets you know what to expect. IMO, this book really goes to much into the emotional understanding of the experiences. It talks about horrific reactions by the students, which I think were all more for entertainment than fact. I walked away from this book thinking, "well glad that ones over." Well written, but way to long. It drones on and on much like I'm doing so next.
I just finished reading that book last week. I liked it. :thumbup: I agree that it started to drag on towards the last 1/3 of the book. I highly recommend it to anyone considering a career in medicine. It gives an inside look at what to expect in a gross anatomy lab, both academically and emotionally. I loved all the stories behind the people involved and I have to say that I have a greater appreciation for those that give their bodies to science.

Doc 2b said:
...Another book that I would recommend is Learning to Play God. Not sure who wrote it, i read it early on in undergrad, to far to give a large statement, but it left an impression on me.

hi, no reviews to offer right now, but Learning to Play God was written by Robert Marion. He has a bunch of other books (some repetitive parts in them) that are good and interesting to read. Intern Blues was pretty good, I can't remember the names of the other ones, but I know he has more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Complications, Becoming a Doctor, Stiff (although I might wait till post gross anatomy to read that one) just go to Borders/Barnes and Noble and check out the medical section.

Gifted hands, think big, the big picture...all by benjamin carson. They're all pretty much teh same story about his life, from growing up poor and him being the "dumbest person in fifth grade". HOwever, they are simply amazing and very motivational.

Yup

You absolutely MUST read "The DOs" by Norman Gevitz. This is AMAZING and should be REQUIRED reading for anyone even thinking of DO school. There is no way of over dramatizing the importance of this book. You cannot really understand what a DO is without reading it. He gives a brutal history of the profession which explains SO much of what we hear about today. It is totally going to make me a better DO to have read this book (I have actually read it twice). But just make sure you get the second edition! Don't get the first edition! It is totally out of date!

jonb12997 said:
Complications, Becoming a Doctor, Stiff (although I might wait till post gross anatomy to read that one) just go to Borders/Barnes and Noble and check out the medical section.

I read Complications, by Atul Gawande. It's a very good book, especially if your interested in surgery.

How could "House of God" not be on this list already?!? Read it when you want to laugh and take from it what you will. It is a great read.

I got House of God, but i havent read it yet. A friend of mine that is and IM doc, said that I should at least wait till after my 3rd year to read it. Said that reading now would not make near as much sense as if I read it then.

Doc 2b said:
I got House of God, but i havent read it yet. A friend of mine that is and IM doc, said that I should at least wait till after my 3rd year to read it. Said that reading now would not make near as much sense as if I read it then.
Well he/she is probably right about that, but you can always read it now and then read it again later since you have purchased it. The wisdom of the fat man is good no matter what stage of medical education you are in

I took a class on Medical Literature last year and we read My Own Country by Abraham Verghese (the main story in it about the start of the AIDS epidemic and and his relationships with his patients is definitely worth reading, but I was not too impressed with Dr. Verghese's personal life in the book and therefore I was turned off in general), The Spirit Catches you and you Fall Down by Anne Fadiman ( the subtitle of this book is A Hmong child, her american doctors and the collision of two cultures, that says it all, a great read, many ethical decision having to be made with her case), Slackjaw by I cant remember and a friend of mine is loaning the book ( but this is a very humourous story from the patient's perspective on going blind, it's a quick read and very enjoyable), and then we also read excerpts from two collections, A Life in Medicineby Coles and Testa and On Doctoring editted by reynolds and Stone (these both contain various short stories, excerpts from novels, poem, etc and really capture different perspective in medicine from doctors, patients, families, etc). richard Seltzer or Selzer is also a doctor/author with many books and short stories available and I recommend him. Currently I'm reading a book by Oliver Sacks, it's Vintage Sacks and contains excerpts from his first several novels, I'm enjoying it, it's an easy read and keeps your attention.

With all that said, enjoy.