Books and Equipment in OD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DryEye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a quote of $13,000 on books and equipment for the first three years!

Any suggestions on what to buy and not to buy?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What school, and what's the breakdown per year?

I just got a quote of $13,000 on books and equipment for the first three years!

Any suggestions on what to buy and not to buy?

Thanks!

$13000 sounds like a lot, but when you compare it to the rest of your bill for OD school the percentage is pretty small. I'd try to save money somewhere else rather than skimp on books and equipment. If you could find a slightly cheaper apartment, or roommate, or find a way not to have a car for those three years in school that would easily make up that cost.

A significant part of that cost quoted is for your diagnostic equipment. The equipment manufacturers give you a decent price as a student; probably as good as you could find used stuff for on ebay. I'd buy it new and either sell it after 4 years, or keep it when you start practicing as an OD.

Books on the other hand, can usually be found used from other students. The exceptions are when they change the editions. I didn’t buy books for all my classes, but probably 70% of them I did, and I bought 100% of the books 1st year because I was scared. :smuggrin:

This may depend on your school, but at ICO almost every class has a packet of notes given to you and every book is on reserve in the library. I haven't bought a single book this first year and--quite frankly--I can barely find the time to read them on top of all my class notes anyway. Perhaps you can get by with library course reserves for the classes you may not really to reference from as much in the future?

I also recommend you talk to some of the upperclassmen about which equipment to buy or how to save. I bought all my entrance exam sequence materials used from a recent graduate of my school (advertised in the mailroom, but maybe you can ask around somehow), for a little cheaper. This way, I got exactly what was required and only used for 4 years all at once at a much better price than all new from the bookstore. Another option is to look for ads from people who have left (dropped out/withdrew) your optometry school and are looking to get rid of their practically new equipment that they also have no use for. These types of things make no difference if they're new or slightly used (occluder, near cards, near target rods, prism bar, Randot stereo test, PD ruler, etc. Ishihara's color plates have been the same for decades, so you don't need to shell out $200 for a new book when the same book in great condition will cost you half on eBay). Even a trial lens set is something that you can get used for a better price at practically little disadvantage. I chose to get a new direct ophthalmoscope and retinoscope (high tech stuff) from the school's vendors because they provide student pricing and a warranty on all the equipment as long as you're I'm in school. I have peace of mind knowing that if my bulb goes out, or handle breaks, I can just drop it off at the bookstore and they can take care of it for me and give me a loaner until mine is fixed.

Last bit of general advice, only buy what you NEED (and really think hard to discern between needs and wants) because every dollar you spend can potentially cost you $2.08 by the time you finish paying it off 25 years after you graduate at the set 6.8% interest (whether or not you should take/need that long is another thread for another day).