boosting sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about your Calc situation but as far as Astronomy courses or any other science course used to pad your GPA, from my understanding, if the courses are 2000 level or above it should be fine. I dunno if you have taken it but maybe you should consider a Statistic course (I know it helped me a lot when reading literature for my research).

Why not just make sure to try really hard in Physics and Orgo and then if you don't do as great as you hoped, to look around for other science courses?

If you think you're pretty good at Math, you could try Calculus III or Calculus IV

Members don't see this ad :)
During my junior year I was wanting to raise my sGPA, so I took a freshman level Astronomy course (it is technically considered a physics class, and rightfully so). The course was easy and halfway through the semester I was feeling sort of cowardly for stooping low just to raise my sGPA.

Now, however, I do not feel bad about it and am glad for ever hundredth of a point that I worked for in college.

FWIW, I didn't have any interviewers during my 5 MD interviews ask questions about it.

I'm not sure about your Calc situation but as far as Astronomy courses or any other science course used to pad your GPA, from my understanding, if the courses are 2000 level or above it should be fine. I dunno if you have taken it but maybe you should consider a Statistic course (I know it helped me a lot when reading literature for my research).

I second that. Many of my friends who needed to raise their sGPA's found salvation in some sort of stats class.

This semester I enrolled in an environmental biology course. I hope I don't speak too soon, but this should be an easy class. I would look into a fluff biology class.

I'm kind of in a similar position as a psych major, and my bcpm gpa is pretty weak - so I'm actually trying to take as many upper div neuroscience courses as I can.. If your university offers them, maybe you can take those cognitive neuroscience courses (make sure the titles seem bio-related), or a few neurobiology courses?

That way it doesn't stick out either, since neuroscience and psychology are so interrelated.

FWIW, Physics II isn't really any more difficult than Physics I. It's just a continuation of the same stuff

it's difficult to predict how an "easy" science class will play out. I thought one I was taking in the fall was easy but it wasn't in the least. Your best bet is to finish your pre-reqs with A's and stop taking science classes to freeze your sGPA.....

Astronomy classes count as BCPM GPA ? At my school Astronomy and Physics are under two differ categories, thats why I am asking.

I took Astronomy for an "easy" A. Barely scraped by with an A. Literally had the lowest A you could possibly get. Don't underestimate the difficulty of these "easy" classes.

I don't think an adcom will care, what if your interested in the subject? they can't dock you off for taking what you want. Take what you want and try not to worry too much about it. my 2 cents.