Boston Acceptance - 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi tigertooth,
Thanks.
I applied on 4th of Aug. We are 12 applicants on 27th of Oct. As jhd told they have interview session on each thursday and they have 65 seats and they have a big Indian community. The interviews are on first come first basis so It takes a littlebit of time for them to set up ur interview date. so don't worry...they have lots of seats. tell me about your stats.
Pauli.

Members don't see this ad.

hi, pauli:
my status is: part one 87, part two 80, TOEFL 250, do you think anybody part one score lower than 90 wil have chance?

by the way, does anybody know when BU started the first interview batch?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
tigertooth said:
by the way, does anybody know when BU started the first interview batch?
Thanks.
it ws on 20th oct.
sunita

Hi tigertooth,
we have one or two applicant with 89%.
I think they will call you after reviewing the application as a whole.
Pauli.

Aerodont said:
Hello All:
I received my BU acceptance thru regular mail this saturday. I attended the interview on 27th Oct. Very surprised and pleased to receive the decission so early.

I have seen that there is not a thread for posting BU acceptance alone. So, I am starting this one.

I am not from Boston and dont know much about securing a loan or where to live etc.. I would appreciate if anybody can post such info.

Thanks
1. BU off campus housing: http://www.bu.edu/link/bin/uiscgi_off_campus_housing.pl

2. MIT CSSA housing: http://cssa.mit.edu/new/forum/index.php?showforum=5

3. http://boston.craigslist.org/

4. Harrison Court: Cross-street with Library building http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Home.aspx?DepartmentID=173

5. South Block: BUMC tower building (Long waiting list-they don't regularly accept application, even they accept your application, it may take a year to get a room)

1. Transportation
1 )You can find all schedules and maps for public transportations from:
http://www.mbta.com/

2) BU Shuttle BUS runs from BU medical campus to BU main campus(several stops in
between).
http://www.bu.edu/thebus/
Schedule: http://www.bu.edu/thebus/pdf/March_21_May_13_05_Schedule.pdf

3) Traveling tips-how to save your money:
a. All outbound (far from downtown direction) All Green Line trains on the street level (Not
underground level) are free.
b. When you take Silver line on Washington St.& Newton Street (90 cents), always ask for
a Subway Transfer, you can take the following Trains for free with the transfer:
Orange line from New England Station, Downtown Crossing Station;
Red line from Downtown Crossing Station;
Green Line from Boylston Station.
c. When you get off Orange line from Mass Ave. Station, Take a Bus Transfer for free
boarding on #1Bus to School direction1. You can find a lot cool stuff such as Movies, Restaurants, Concerts, Events .... in Boston
from this website: http://www.boston.com/ae/?p1=GN_AE
BTW, You can buy half price movie ticket from 2nd floor of Newton Pavilion Building, next to
Dental School. (Find campus map: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/places/CampusMap/index.htm)

2. Boston offers a great variety of cultural activities:
1) Boston Symphony Orchestra at Symphony Hall: http://www.bso.org/
2) Boston Opera at the Opera House: http://www.blo.org/
3) Boston Ballet at the Wang Center: http://www.bostonballet.org/

3.Museums and Attractions in and near Boston Area
1) Museum of Fine Arts: http://www.mfa.org/home.htm
2) New England Aquarium:http://www.neaq.org/index.flash4.html
3) Boston Public Library: http://www.bpl.org/ (You can visit Boston Public Library and other public libraries for free with valid library card which is also free. Just go to any public library and fill out an membership application form.)
4) Boston National Historic Park (Freedom Trail): http://www.nps.gov/bost/home.htm
5) Boston Harbor Cruises: http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/

4. Sports
Football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey are represented by professional teams in Boston. For detailed infomation, please go to http://www.boston.com/sports/.

Below is the names of the professional teams in Boston.

Patriots (football). Tickets are available at Sullivan Stadium, Foxboro (508-543-1776).

Red Sox (baseball). Tickets are available at Fenway Park, Boston (617-267-8661).

Celtics (basketball). Tickets are available at the Boston Garden (617-227-3200).

Bruins (ice hockey). Tickets are available at the Boston Garden (617-227-3200).

Good luck to everyone accepted in BU. Boston is amazing city, with a lot of stuff to do. My favorite location for renting a room - around Prudential center.

tigertooth said:
hi, pauli:
my status is: part one 87, part two 80, TOEFL 250, do you think anybody part one score lower than 90 wil have chance?

hi tiger tooth
I am travelling in the same boat. I have part1 89 and part2 82. toefl 273, gpa 3.3.
I did not received any response yet. Hoping to get it.

Ive already had rejection from upenn and lomalinda.
So just keep hope.
wish u luck
bye

Pauli said:
Hi tigertooth,
Thanks.
I applied on 4th of Aug. We are 12 applicants on 27th of Oct. As jhd told they have interview session on each thursday and they have 65 seats and they have a big Indian community. The interviews are on first come first basis so It takes a littlebit of time for them to set up ur interview date. so don't worry...they have lots of seats. tell me about your stats.
Pauli.
hi i have applied on 28th sep and received interview call for dec 8th..my stats r 90 250 3.65 ..i am tensed about the day. how to prepare for the interview

Did anyone who appeared for BU interview on 3rd or 10th Nov get an acceptance letter yet?
Given that they informed the first batch pretty quickly, this should be expected soon.

hi there ,
Congrats to all of u who hav got acceptance in BU .. happy for u all .. I too hav applied to BU arund te last wk of sept , n tey keep mailing saying abt te status of te application . Did all of you who got intervw call , got to knw via email , or post ?? cud anyone tell abt it ?/ tey said , its currently "under review" . Best of Luck n Congrats again ..
nident.

Hi, Cocnids:
Thanks for the message. I was rejected by Upen and Lomalinda too. But as I know somebody was acceptated by Lomalinda part one score is only 82, and part tow score is also very low. I just don't understand why?.
When did you apply to BU? I sent my application on middle of September. I heard right now they may only ocnsider people part one score over 90. But, as you said let's keep the hope.
Wish you a good luck.

If you guys have questions regarding housing, feel free to ask me. Im a first year dental student here, so I can do my best to help you all out. Congrats on those who got acceptances and good luck to those still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Tigertooth,
can u please post ur GPA. And also if u could shed some lite on who told u that Bu is considering people over 90 only or was it just ur assumption.coz a friend of mine told me that they look at ur Gpa & score.which unfortunately mine is low.
wish u best of luck with all the interviews.

tigertooth said:
Hi, Cocnids:

Thanks for the message. I was rejected by Upen and Lomalinda too. But as I know somebody was acceptated by Lomalinda part one score is only 82, and part tow score is also very low. I just don't understand why?.
When did you apply to BU? I sent my application on middle of September. I heard right now they may only ocnsider people part one score over 90. But, as you said let's keep the hope.
Wish you a good luck.

Does a person has chance to get into BU this late.And if so how many people get selected after jan.

Rezdawg said:
If you guys have questions regarding housing, feel free to ask me. Im a first year dental student here, so I can do my best to help you all out. Congrats on those who got acceptances and good luck to those still waiting.

Hi, Mitch74
my GPA is 3.57. About the BU only consider people part one score over 90, i am not sure. I heard from somebody when i interviewed at UCSF.
Do you have any idea?

mitch74 said:
Does a person has chance to get into BU this late.And if so how many people get selected after jan.

Sorry, I dont know how the advanced standing admissions works, I know more about the regular admissions.

tigertooth said:
Hi, Mitch74
my GPA is 3.57. About the BU only consider people part one score over 90, i am not sure. I heard from somebody when i interviewed at UCSF.
Do you have any idea?

I know few people who had 89 in part 1 and had their interview in october.
So just lets hope for the best for all of us who r waiting.

mitch74 said:
Hi Tigertooth,
can u please post ur GPA. And also if u could shed some lite on who told u that Bu is considering people over 90 only or was it just ur assumption.coz a friend of mine told me that they look at ur Gpa & score.which unfortunately mine is low.
wish u best of luck with all the interviews.
Ive applied in last of august. And still waiting.
The criteria of BU or any other university is that they see part 1 score. Since many are having above 90 they are considered first.
But.........
many of these people get selected in other universities also ( wow.... how lucky)
and since boston has nearly 65 seats they move forward their chain and people like us with 80's get fortunate and are called. So it all depends on luck. how many leave their seats and get addmitted elsewhere.
(pls guys help us ;) )

Rezdawg said:
hi there,
can u suggest when is the right time to start looking for the housing?? thanx

Pauli said:
Hi everybody,
I am new to this forum.
I got acceptance from BU.
I am from Oct 27th Batch.
Congrats to Sunita, Aerodont sangmitr, hzq838 and rag and treasure and everyone else who got acceptance.
All the best for others who are waiting.
bye,
Pauli.

Congrats Pauli on your acceptance :)

Rezdawg said:

Hi,
i got the Bu acceptance today, so excited !!.
Best of luck to those who are waiting
part 1 95, GPA 3.98, TOEFL 260

maaidabd said:
Hi,
congrats on ur acceptance...
when are u interviewed..i mean which date
thanks
bye

maaidabd said:
Hi,

Congrats!!
That is great news!!
Even i got my acceptance from Boston.
When was ur interview, 3rd or 10th?

Hi Doctor 597,
Congrats on your acceptance to BU!! Great school!! :thumbup:

What about USC? what happened to your results there???
Good Luck
ta :luck:

doctor597 said:
Congrats!!
That is great news!!

Toothavenue said:
Hi Doctor 597,
Congrats on your acceptance to BU!! Great school!! :thumbup:

What about USC? what happened to your results there???
Good Luck
ta :luck:

Thanks a lot!!
I got waitlisted at USC.

doctor597 said:
Thanks a lot!!
I got waitlisted at USC.
congrats on ur acceptance
when are u interviewed at BU...which date 3rd or 10th nov

Thanks!!

I was interviewed on 10th nov.

doctor597 said:
Congrats!!
That is great news!!

thanx a lot, i had my interview on nov 10th.
so we were in the same batch i guess.
are u a guy or girl?

maaidabd said:
Hi,

COngrats maaidabad on ur acceptance .. Gud Luck .. :thumbup:

maaidabd said:
thanx a lot, i had my interview on nov 10th.
so we were in the same batch i guess.
are u a guy or girl?

are folks getting their acceptance from BU through email or regular mail? coz a week is really quick !!!!

sv79 said:
are folks getting their acceptance from BU through email or regular mail? coz a week is really quick !!!!

They are sending it through regular mail. All the best for those who are waiting :thumbup:

[very angry but I still love dentistry I went to see MY aplication in bu and they told me that my aplication was w/o my toefl score but was not it they put me in other place so the comity meet with DR alshiire every week I did told to her this is my 3 year aplying in BU She just told me to aply to colorado she realy was very rude the rational was that the average aplicant has 93 in board 1 so I have below that so I should aply to colorado. only my faith help me to keep going in a aplication process that only god kwons, so basically friend she will be give preference to those who have over 92 and I know the list will be complete before XMAS..........................happy holidays everyone

Hi,

Congratulations to you all who got acceptance to Boston. Would anybody let us know what is important in the interview?

My scores are as follows and I am not sure :confused:
Part I 90
TOEFL 620
GPA 3.1

Thank you,

how many of the students from the 3rd and 4th batch (nov 3rd and 10th ) got their acceptances....plz do post who ever got their acceptances

keyvan said:
Hi,

Congratulations to you all who got acceptance to Boston. Would anybody let us know what is important in the interview?

Part I 90
TOEFL 620
GPA 3.1

Thank you,
Hi Keyvan,
You sure have a good score.
For the Boston interview, make sure you can highlight your strengths. For e.g. if you have any publications, make sure to take a copy along, or if you have any professional presentation, take it along. If you are working as a DA, get a recommendation letter from the dentist.
Be honest and do not try to impress them.
The people there are very friendly and welcoming and most importantly they are very patient. So if you have any questions or you have some highlights, make sure to talk about it. If you have any other question, ask me right away.
All the best!! I am sure you will do great.

Thanks

central_incisor said:
Pendejodo,
its not a good sugestion to go and complain basing on the statistics

I am not sure if thats a good idea. For one, your statistic is incomplete and hence misleading. For one, do you even know what the scores were of the remaining hispanics who were interviewed that didnt get in? Unless you know for a fact that other hispanics with excellent scores were not chosen (everything else being equal) in favor of non-hispanics with not so good scores, I dont think you will have a case.

If it is true, you can complain yourself even you are not an applicant. If it is not true, it will hurt Dr Ashayeri first and hurt the person who complained eventually.

We all are here trying to help others as well getting help from others. Please do not make things worse.

[of course this is a controversial case but this is true only 2 spanish dentist were admited last year but this is no the point they are really favor poeple that its original school was in english speaking country the sad part of this I was acepted to nyu last year I put all my heart in bu I was mislead for nicole last year I had limited licence in mass but I can not be good for a dental school hear I will be wait and had faith in new good score thank you everyone to support happy thanksgiven

pendejodo said:
[of course this is a controversial case but this is true only 2 spanish dentist were admited last year but this is no the point they are really favor poeple that its original school was in english speaking country the sad part of this I was acepted to nyu last year I put all my heart in bu I was mislead for nicole last year I had limited licence in mass but I can not be good for a dental school hear I will be wait and had faith in new good score thank you everyone to support happy thanksgiven

I think U may have sth better up ur sleeve than BU..dont lose heart over this :thumbup:

doctor597 said:
Hi Keyvan,
You sure have a good score.
For the Boston interview, make sure you can highlight your strengths. For e.g. if you have any publications, make sure to take a copy along, or if you have any professional presentation, take it along. If you are working as a DA, get a recommendation letter from the dentist.
Be honest and do not try to impress them.
The people there are very friendly and welcoming and most importantly they are very patient. So if you have any questions or you have some highlights, make sure to talk about it. If you have any other question, ask me right away.
All the best!! I am sure you will do great.

Thanks

thanks a lot for your reply. I hope you recieve your acceptance letter soon. Your advice is really useful to me,hope we can get accepted and be good friends . If it doesn't bother ,I want to ask a few more questions: if they ask:what do you expect to learn in bu school ?If they ask: How can you explain your low gpa?Do you know which questions they may ask?

Thanks

hey can any one tell that how many seats approximately have been filled in BU. this way people likeme who are expecting an interview call can have better idea whether to expect one or not.
thanks and congrats to all who got accepted

Please do not make any comment about the post regarding bias against a certain race. Thats not what we are here for. Central Incisor, please do not make such a statement again.

Thank you for your co-operation. All the best to all,especially Pendejodo

keyvan said:
thanks a lot for your reply. I hope you recieve your acceptance letter soon. Your advice is really useful to me,hope we can get accepted and be good friends . If it doesn't bother ,I want to ask a few more questions: if they ask:what do you expect to learn in bu school ?If they ask: How can you explain your low gpa?Do you know which questions they may ask?

Thanks
Hey Keyvan,
Thanks a lot for wishes. I have already got acceptance from B.U. and i hope you get in too and i am sure we will make good friends.
Regarding the interview, you think what do you want from the school? Short term program? more patients? higher speciality options? equal oppurtunties for Advanced standing and regular DMDs?
As for GPA, 3.1 isnt that bad. You can point out about the course you had bad grades etc.
See, they do not have specific questions. They might ask you questions regarding ur SOP and resume. So make sure you know what you have written about urself.
My advice is stick to the truth and i am sure you will do great in ur interview.

All the best!! :thumbup:

And do let me know, how did it go.

keyvan said:
Hi,

Part I 90
TOEFL 620
GPA 3.1

Thank you,
when is u r interview

Rezdawg said:
Sorry, I dont know how the advanced standing admissions works, I know more about the regular admissions.

Hi!!!!. I am having an interview for the AEGD program at BU.
Do you know what the advantages and desadvantages of the program at BU???? What about the patient pool? facilities?
I don't know how to answe the question: Whay BU????
Thanks

Hello and congrats to everyone who got accepted in Boston and best of luck to those who are still waiting for the result. I also got accepted in Boston and I was in the first batch i.e. 20th october. I am just posting a little bit late, sorry for that.
nprasad said:
hi richa,
my g.p.a is 2.27.that is a big drawback now.i have worked hard to get a good score but i can not do anything about g.p.a.
still waiting for acceptnce,thanks,prasad