Boston Housing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EVN3331

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like I will be either attending BU or Tufts in the fall. I was wondering what kind of public transportation options there are to get to either of these schools? For instance can you get off the T near either of these schools? Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

EVN3331 said:
It looks like I will be either attending BU or Tufts in the fall. I was wondering what kind of public transportation options there are to get to either of these schools? For instance can you get off the T near either of these schools? Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

For tufts, the boylston stop on the green line is about a 10 min walk from the school, and the new england medical center stop on the orange line is about a 1 min walk from school.

no idea for bu

Was wondering if anyone who knows boston and the SOUTH END could let me know where exactly i should avoid looking for places because of unsafe areas. I would like to be within 5 (maybe 10) min. walking distance of BU Medical Center, so I am only interested in any suggestions about the South End. Would it be best to stay east of Mass Ave?? I think I saw someone say that in an archived post. Thanks a lot for any help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would highly recommend you take Tufts over BU if given a choice. Go look at some archived posts on where to stay. South End used to a crappy area but now has been converted into a superrich gay area with lots of fancy ridiculously-priced retaurants. All the hundreds of shootings are in the Dorchester/Roxbury area and none in South End so I assume that it's pretty safe now. I used to lived in the South End 10 years ago and it was very dark and scary at night and it's still so just watch your back..

Was wondering if anyone who knows boston and the SOUTH END could let me know where exactly i should avoid looking for places because of unsafe areas. I would like to be within 5 (maybe 10) min. walking distance of BU Medical Center, so I am only interested in any suggestions about the South End. Would it be best to stay east of Mass Ave?? I think I saw someone say that in an archived post. Thanks a lot for any help you can provide.

If you stand on Mass Ave and Tremont, looking down Tremont, on the East side of the street towards boston, is the "safe" area, on the west, is the "unsafe" area. Literally, what this means to a realtor, is that on the east side of tremont, your rent goes up $200 a month, minimum. What it means for your safety is that either way, don't be a *******, don't walk home alone past nine, don't jog in the dark, and don't flash an ipod. Most likely, you'll be fine on either side of the street.

If you stand on Mass Ave./Tremont St. looking toward Boston, that is no longer considered the South End. You're now looking at Symphony and Hynes Convention Center, which is a better area with frequent CT1 and Bus8 stopping every 10 minutes in front of the school during peak hours.

If you are in the Boston Medical Center area (BU med campus where Bu dental is): Think of Mass Ave as the "train tracks" on one side you have the South End which is nice, safe and over-priced, and on the other you have Roxbury and Dorchester which are MUCH less safe and cheaper rent.