Boston Mathematics Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the BU website, this is what they listed for requirements under Math:

Mathematics. One year (6 semester hours). A basic understanding of calculus is needed.

I am interested in BU. However, I only have 3 credits of Calculus based math at college level. Does this mean I have to take another calculus class in order to fulfill Boston's requirement?

Do you think they would be lenient on the issue, and waive the extra semester? Don't most schools only require a semester of math?!

This is really annoying because I took calculus in high school but didnt get any credits transferred to my university. I ended up taking a calc based class which is usually for business majors. You cant take any other calculus classes by taking this one. So what im saying is, if i want to take another calc class, I would have to waive the 3 credits I have already earned. This means I would have to take 2 classes! :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't there a test or something that you can take to waiver out of Calc 1?

Even so, just go ahead and take Calc 1 and 2, they aren't that bad..

they might not require 6 calc credits. call and ask. maybe you can take a semester of statistics or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorSaab said:
On the BU website, this is what they listed for requirements under Math:

Mathematics. One year (6 semester hours). A basic understanding of calculus is needed.

I am interested in BU. However, I only have 3 credits of Calculus based math at college level. Does this mean I have to take another calculus class in order to fulfill Boston's requirement?

Do you think they would be lenient on the issue, and waive the extra semester? Don't most schools only require a semester of math?!

This is really annoying because I took calculus in high school but didnt get any credits transferred to my university. I ended up taking a calc based class which is usually for business majors. You cant take any other calculus classes by taking this one. So what im saying is, if i want to take another calc class, I would have to waive the 3 credits I have already earned. This means I would have to take 2 classes! :mad:

Hi,
Maybe you can just take Calc 2 in a community college or something. I would call BU and make sure that's ok. I think BU is pretty flexible. Call them and talk to them about your situation. They will recommend what the best thing to do.
Good luck :luck:
Aurora

I wouldn't think you need to take anymore calculus unless you really want to. They are just looking for 6 semester credits of math with at least one intro to calc class. I would really recommend stats over calc II. You're not going to run across much intergration in d-school, but statistics is omnipresent in just about all health professions and is really useful in life in general.

Along with business finance, stats is one of the most practical classes i've taken.

Yeh, I would rather take statistics too. Statistics is a required class for biology majors at my school anyway.

Thanks for the input :)

Why couldn't you take college algebra? That would count as a math credit and you'd rock an A in it.

I thought one year of calculus was pre-req for most science majors

BiOGoly said:
You're not going to run across much intergration in d-school, but statistics is omnipresent in just about all health professions and is really useful in life in general.

Integration? What's that?

I spent so many long hours doing calculus homework in beautiful penmanship and I was good at Calc as well. But having NEVER touched it after the class itself, I no longer remember how to do anything beyond the basic 4 functions in math.

Stats is much more useful, especially if you're gonna do any research projects in dental school. Even stats is easily forgotten, but at least you're likely to come across it when you read an article in JADA.

For some reason, I liked Calc2 better than Calc1. In fact, I felt as though Calc2 was more straightforward than Calc1 in a way that calc2 dealt with problem solving while calc1 was all about proving stuff. Anyways... don't be afraid to take Calc2! :)