Program-Specific Info / Q's Boston University vs. MGH IHP OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school should I go to?

• Boston University (BU) OTD

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • MGH IHP OTD (Massachusetts General Hospital)

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

WillBeOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am lucky enough to have been accepted to the OTD programs at both Boston University (BU) and Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions (MGHIHP).

I was wondering if anyone (current students or otherwise) could offer any opinions/advice on how to choose which program to attend. Feel free to private message me if you are more comfortable with that! Thanks in advance for your help! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am deciding between the two as well. Loved them both for different reasons, but am leaning towards BU because of the strength of faculty research and life-course perspective of the curriculum. I'll also add that I'm a believer in the "gut feeling" about where fits you best :)
Would love to hear any other input though and good luck with your decision!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! I am deciding between the two as well. Loved them both for different reasons, but am leaning towards BU because of the strength of faculty research and life-course perspective of the curriculum. I'll also add that I'm a believer in the "gut feeling" about where fits you best :)
Would love to hear any other input though and good luck with your decision!
Hi @AspiringOT2016 thanks for your input! I am feeling the same way. 99% sure I'll be going to BU for a number of reasons! I found out I was accepted to BU before Christmas, so I've been excited about it for a long time now and I think at this point my "gut feeling" is pretty set on BU. Can't wait to meet you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same to you! I was very impressed with MGH as well, especially their beautiful facilities and interdisciplinary classes. I think I would be happy either place, but will probably choose BU. Would love to hear any input from any current students as well :)

Just bumping this thread up to see if anyone else out there has any helpful advice :)

Also, does anyone have any opinions about the BU curriculum including a lot of online classes? Is this good for such a hands-on profession? Also, there is no cadaver class or anatomy course. Do these things worry anyone else?

@WillBeOT and anyone else willing to share, what were your stats? I'm really interested in applying to both Sargent and MGH for OTD. Thanks, y'all!

Not sure if this is still helpful for anyone, but after much deliberation I ended up choosing MGH over BU for financial and logistic reasons. From what I hear, you can't go wrong with either one! Best of luck to everyone applying.

Reactions: 1 user
sorry to switch up the schools, but I couldn't find a thread that speaks to both of these....

I have been burdened with a less than terrible situation, where I need to choose between 2 OTD programs. I know how lucky I am to even get into one, but that makes it all the more difficult to make a decision. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from third parties on my decision. I thought I would make a pros/cons of both schools and maybe get some advice from people in the field to see what categories should be weighted upon more heavily.

Belmont University OTD
pros: Fully accredited
- in Nashville (fun area next to vanderbilt)
-Gorgeous campus/facilities
-I really enjoyed the students that I met there and the professors. I got a good feeling from them.
-Reputable program (I think so at least)
-Established curriculum
-Small class size (32)
-I don't need to take Child development this Summer

Cons:
-No scholarship opportunities (only small book things)
-They seem to focus on assistive technology, I'm just not that passionate about that.
- the Doctoral Experiential Component has to be completed in Nashville. So a little less flexibility
-Not as many job opportunities in the area in comparison to Chicago
-Very expensive
-they seem to require service experiences, volunteering. (I love volunteering but I only like to do it when I choose it.)
-religious tendencies (I am just not very religious and that was my first impression)

Midwestern University OTD, Downers Grove, Ill campus
Pros:
-They have a $15000 scholarship for going into school Mental health, which is what I want to do
- Their program focus seems to be more mental health/pediatrics
-Proximity to my family (8 hours away)
-They are very flexible when it comes to fieldwork/doctoral project. They told me basically anything I want to do, I can do it, and anywhere.
-Lots of opportunities in the Chicago area ( I think at least)

Cons:
-I'd have to live in the suburbs of chicago (I'm a 27 year old single female). I'm worried about being surrounded by married people with families. I'm just in a different place in life.
-Chicago area is more expensive to live than Nashville
-They are ONLY in candicacy status. THIS IS THE THING i AM MOST WORRIED ABOUT. Although they did have an accredited masters program, this will be the first Doctoral class to go through the program. Subsequently, I think there will be some growing pains with the rolling out of a new curriculum.
-Also very expensive haha... I just can't win on that front.

Does anyone have any advice for my decision. I would greatly appreciate any and all help on the matter.