Bottom 1/3 of med school class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WashMe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so... basically I'm in the bottom 1/3 of my class (top 5 med school) applying for anesthesiology. I have 250+ step I, almost all pre-clinical honors, and average MS3 grades except for one grade.

I aced the clinicals but failed the shelf for my first MS3 rotation (a 3-month core clerkship) for mostly medical reasons, thus receiving an overall "Pass" (H/HP/P scale). I did fine all year after that, but that one course is worth 1/6th of the total credits going into my class rank.

Basically, that one test put me into the bottom 1/3 of the class. Otherwise, if I had honored that one shelf, I'd likely be in the top 1/3... such is life.

I should have strong LOR's, and my application is otherwise unremarkable. Is a bottom 1/3 class ranking a nail in the coffin? Should I bring it up in my interviews?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

so... basically I'm in the bottom 1/3 of my class (top 5 med school) applying for anesthesiology. I have 250+ step I, almost all pre-clinical honors, and average MS3 grades except for one grade.

I aced the clinicals but failed the shelf for my first MS3 rotation (a 3-month core clerkship) for mostly medical reasons, thus receiving an overall "Pass" (H/HP/P scale). I did fine all year after that, but that one course is worth 1/6th of the total credits going into my class rank.

Basically, that one test put me into the bottom 1/3 of the class. Otherwise, if I had honored that one shelf, I'd likely be in the top 1/3... such is life.

I should have strong LOR's, and my application is otherwise unremarkable. Is a bottom 1/3 class ranking a nail in the coffin? Should I bring it up in my interviews?

Thanks!

I'm no genius but I bet your medical school makes up for the ranking.

Thanks!

Seriously? Trolling for a bigger ego?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? Trolling for a bigger ego?

If "bragging" about being in the bottom 1/3 is trolling, then I guess so. I just found out my class rank today and I was shocked that one test would kill me like that, so I was just hoping for honest opinions. I'm interested in top tier programs; I'm fairly sure I'll match somewhere, but I'm curious as to whether the top programs are now off the table...

If "bragging" about being in the bottom 1/3 is trolling, then I guess so. I just found out my class rank today and I was shocked that one test would kill me like that, so I was just hoping for honest opinions. I'm interested in top tier programs; I'm fairly sure I'll match somewhere, but I'm curious as to whether the top programs are now off the table...

an observership at a comm program for a year will definitely overcome that bottom 1/3 ranking. Don't give up!

250+ on Step 1 who doesn't know how to use the search function or look at Charting outcomes....

Dude you are totally fine as long as you apply to a reasonable number of places and get enough interviews. 1/3 of your medical school is your position, do you think they are all screwed too?

PS-Top tier is much murkier in this field than, say, IM. There are definitely stand-out programs, but each program will have different strengths/weaknesses so you should aim for a place that is strong in what you think your future goals will be.

You'll be completely fine. Bottom 1/3 at a top 5 program (I'm placing money on WashU) is not going to be a noticeable problem. At the very most someone will ask about the P during interviews. I doubt either will prevent you from getting interviews as long as you did well on your other clerkships, especially anesthesia.

A low class ranking is not a nail in the coffin. Do NOT bring it up in your interviews. There is no need. Once you have been invited for an interview, the program has already decided that you are smart enough to be accepted there. They are now trying to find out if you are a normal person that would fit it in at the program from a personality standpoint.

I would not worry. I was bottom 1/3 of my class plus I only got a P (H/HP/P system) in my anesthesiology rotation, and that was not coming from a top 5 Med School nor did I have a 250+ Step 1 score. Nobody asked me about my class rankings or my P in my anesthesiology rotation. I interviewed at decent programs and landed my #2 program, which was an awesome yet extremely underrated program. I just finished a cardiac fellowship at one of the "big name" hospitals so I do not think that a poor class ranking should hold you back.

You'll be completely fine. Bottom 1/3 at a top 5 program (I'm placing money on WashU) is not going to be a noticeable problem. At the very most someone will ask about the P during interviews. I doubt either will prevent you from getting interviews as long as you did well on your other clerkships, especially anesthesia.

You will be fine, you won't have trouble matching being in the "middle or low third". I was in the "middle" of my class in your school, with slightly above average step scores for anesthesia, and got my pick. Good luck.

Last edited:
I was at the lower end of the middle third at Arkansas with nowhere near a 250 on Step 1 and got my 1st choice. Granted, I wasn't trying for any particularly competitive programs, but still...