bottom 1/4 of class, is there hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

rxn

I am a MS II and I am in the bottom 1/4 of my class (I am a DO). I have a passion for OB but I am concerned that my class rank might take me out of competition. I have not taken step I yet. I am older and have a background in ED nursing. What are my chances of scoring ANY (DO or MD) spot if I score average on step I? What are my chances of getting a MD residency assuming I rock the clinical years and shine during audition rotatons? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a MS II and I am in the bottom 1/4 of my class (I am a DO). I have a passion for OB but I am concerned that my class rank might take me out of competition. I have not taken step I yet. I am older and have a background in ED nursing. What are my chances of scoring ANY (DO or MD) spot if I score average on step I? What are my chances of getting a MD residency assuming I rock the clinical years and shine during audition rotatons? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.
One thing that was surprising to me is how much the grades in the first 2 years don't matter (they do matter as far as getting into AOA, though). Clinical grades matter more, especially since to do well, they require being exceptional in more ways than just test taking.

Another positive is that your Step 1 and 2 scores do carry a lot of weight. If you didn't do too well in your first two years but rock the boards it'll be as if the first 2 years never happened. It's like you've proved to them that you CAN learn and retain information. So there's still plenty of hope!

And when you interview at programs, they evaluate you equally on a number of fronts, which includes work experience (I happened to glance at a few blank evaluation sheets on the interview trail). Most applicants have very little significant work experience, since most go from high school to university to med school. So I think that being older and having good work experience definitely puts you in the running.

Thanks for the uplifting words. I don't feel as though I am dumb (I really feel as though I understand the various systems, but I am not testing well). I have taken a few practice boards (without any applied study) and scored in the 60-70% range. I have a genuine desire to do OB and I seemed to have a knack for it as well (based on my L&D rotations in nursing school and repro in med school). It's good to hear that I have not already shot myself in the foot. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi RXN!
Don't lose hope - you've got a decent chance at ob/gyn. Your nursing experience will make you a stronger student in the clinical years (mine certainly did). I was more comfortable in the hospital and clinic systems, knew more about how they worked, who to ask for help, etc, plus you're already comfortable talking to attendings and residents, you can give a more relaxed presentation. You will likely move up as the clinical years go on in your class rank.
Board scores are big in ob/gyn, so work hard preparing for those tests. Start researching as far as what programs already have DO's as residents, some MD programs are still biased against it. You'll have to apply to more programs with the lower class rank and do a few more interviews, so plan on it early financially.
Good luck!

A big thing they asked me during my interview was about research. I wish I'd started sooner and had a chance to get something published. That would've boosted my application. Hindsight.

3rd year grades are calculated into your class rank and (at my school anyway) are weighted more heavily. I wouldn't worry about it too much now, you may find that you don't even like the practice of ob/gyn. If you find yourself in a situation looking for a less competitive program numberswise, there are plenty of community programs that fit that bill and can give you excellent training.