This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheating is a huge deal in medical school. If a student is found cheating on a medical school exam, often the entire exam must be scrapped and rewritten since the true extent of cheating can't be known. This is a huge hassle, as medical school exams can take weeks to prepare, thus schools are very reluctant to risk bringing on someone that will cheat. And this is, of course, aside from all of the issues around potential tarnishing of the school's reputation lf the student continues to act dishonestly in the future. Hence, cheating is taken very, very seriously.

Not trying to justify cheating or anything, just saying I'm surprised how little they trust their students. There must have been some cheaters in the past, meaning some slipped through in undergrad. Maybe that does justify the level of harshness in med school admissions...
We take it seriously because we know that dishonest doctors start out as dishonest students.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Yikes, this reminds me of one of my business courses in undergrad. 550 student course, yet 300+ received an irreversible XE on their transcript for mass-sharing an assignment. Looked like a ghost town in lecture the week after the incident. Schools don't mess around with academic dishonesty!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Dr. LizzyM fkr your take on this. It was my first time, and I repeat it was the first time. Online exams are different. And also, they got a flag for me using a calculator. Last online class I took was open book which might have set a bad prescedent.
Again, I appreciate that you are providing a faculty's take on this. Per someone on the ethics board, first offenses usually result in a 0 on the

You still aren’t owning what you did:

1)”it was the first time , and I repeatfirst time”- first time or not you knew you what you were doing.

2)”online exams are different”-really? Why?

3)”last online class I took was an open book which might have set a bad prescedent” - but you knew it was a closed book exam. This exam had nothing to do with the last exams.

You cheated and you know you did. The problem is you got caught. No matter what happens in your meeting remember you need to own it. “I just didn’t know they were tracking the tabs I opened”. Not an excuse.

Reactions: 1 users
This thread has been reported by several users due to the comments about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.