BRITISH medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody have any information about British medical schools that accept American applicants. anybody applying to any british med schools? i'm thinking of possibly moving there for medical school and beyond and wanted to know if its not too late to apply.
-mota

Members don't see this ad.

anyone? help out a yankee already.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
DaMota said:
anyone? help out a yankee already.
-mota
there is a thread i posted about two weeks ago with a link to the site. you can also just search the NHS (national health service) site to find grad programs in medicine as those are the ones that are four or five year. The deadline I thought was in about a month or two somewhere around there

Hi,
i am an american studying at a british medical school. the deadline i seem to recall is sometime october (via ucas). feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers,
Saph

saphenous said:
Hi,
i am an american studying at a british medical school. the deadline i seem to recall is sometime october (via ucas). feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers,
Saph

If you graduate from a British med school, is your MD valid in other parts of Europe too? I have been trying to find this kind of info forever (including stuff like, if you have an MD from the US, would you be able to work in europe?) without any luck. I know that you can take nursing anywhere, is an MD way different?
Did you have to do premed requirements that were a lot different?

blackle said:
If you graduate from a British med school, is your MD valid in other parts of Europe too? I have been trying to find this kind of info forever (including stuff like, if you have an MD from the US, would you be able to work in europe?) without any luck. I know that you can take nursing anywhere, is an MD way different?

Don't know about the validity in other countries. The premed requirements were the same and I did them in the states. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Saph

blackle said:

You would be able to work degree-wise, but getting a non-EU working visa could be tricky. Although most places are experiencing an undersupply of health professionals so it might be easier in some areas. An MD is recognized pretty much everywhere. The UK grads graduate with an MBBS (an MD is a higher research degree) - this is also recognized everywhere. Since the UK has connections with the EU, working in Europe would not present a problem except for the non-EU working visa (assuming you're from the US). And MBBS would also be recognized in Australia.

Having said that, you might have to take professional exams (ie. if you wanted to work in the UK, you'd have to take the PLAB. Much the same as FMGs have to take the USMLE steps).

DaMota said:
does anybody have any information about British medical schools that accept American applicants. anybody applying to any british med schools? i'm thinking of possibly moving there for medical school and beyond and wanted to know if its not too late to apply.
-mota

funny, i'm thinking the same thing . .uhm well one of my good gfs just headed off to St. Christophers-it's in the UK-just google it. They have links to US rotations.

sprsonic75 said:
funny, i'm thinking the same thing . .uhm well one of my good gfs just headed off to St. Christophers-it's in the UK-just google it. They have links to US rotations.

Although St. Christophers have a "satellite campus" located in the UK in luton. Their main campus where the school was chartered is in Senegal, Africa. This is NOT a UK accredited British medical school. It is the British equivilant to a carribean medical school. They set up a "satellite campus" in the UK and hired a web designer to create a website to create the illusion they were actually a british school as to help them gain some credibility. But I would suggest that your friend investigate futher before she attends medical school there. Good Luck! :thumbup:

If anyone is interested in attending any accredited UK Medical schools, I suggest you check out: http://www.gmc-uk.org/med_ed/default.htm

Here it lists all accredited schools..

UK medical schools awarding UK medical degrees

These medical schools are all associated with a University able to award UK primary medical degrees and are listed in the Medical Act.

The parent institution is subject to quality assurance inspections by the UK government through the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) and the medical school is subject to inspection by the GMC. A medical degree from one of these medical schools gives, subject to the student satisfying our fitness to practise criteria, entitlement to registration with the GMC.

The institutions falling into this category are:

University of Aberdeen, Faculty of Medicine and Medical Sciences

Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry

University of Birmingham, School of Medicine

University of Bristol, Faculty of Medicine

University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine

University of Dundee, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Nursing

The University of Edinburgh, The Faculty of Medicine

University of Glasgow, Faculty of Medicine

The Guy's, King's College and St Thomas' Hospitals' Medical and Dental School of King's College London

Imperial College School of Medicine, London

University of Leeds, School of Medicine

Leicester Warwick Medical Schools

University of Liverpool, Faculty of Medicine

University of Manchester, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Nursing

University of Newcastle, The Medical School

The University of Nottingham, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences

University of Oxford

The Queen's University Belfast, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences

The University of Sheffield, School of Medicine

University of Southampton, School of Medicine

St George's Hospital Medical School, London (NOT affiliated with St. George's of the carribean)

University College Medical School of University College London

University of Wales, College of Medicine

In addition to the above schools, four new publicly funded medical schools have been established and are currently teaching their first cohorts of students. The schools are working closely with the GMC and subject to a satisfactory final report from the GMC, will be able to award UK degrees when their first students are ready to graduate.

These medical schools are:

Brighton and Sussex Medical School

Peninsula Medical School

Hull York Medical School

University of East Anglia

For the poster inquiring about St. Christophers.. It states that St. Chris is listed in the WHO so that it's graduates ARE eligible for registration in the UK. But that they still have to take the PLAB exam (ECMFG equivilant) and that they must apply just as any other International foriegn medical graduate would. Meaning... St. Chis is no more a UK school than say Tokyo Medical College. :rolleyes:

The user is correct, St. Christophers is a senegalese school. We have campuses in Dakar, Senegal and Luton, England.

I am a 4th year student of the UK campus. I have done all of my clinicals in the US. If you have any questions, fee free to email/PM me.