Brown's program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luxpara

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything on Scut or here about what people think for Brown's residency program - any opinions?

Also, what do people think of OHSU?

I appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

OHSU is excellent; I have heard only good things, and they have been mentioned occasionally in the Ophthalmology Times top 10 program rankings over the past several years. I am looking forward to my rotation there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Brown is a small program (2 residents a year). It has had a bad rep for having probationary accredation in the past, but in january recieved full accredation for the maximum period. Decent cataract numbers 100+, has a VA affiliation. All subspecialties are represented. All clinics are entirely run by residents so there is signficant ammount of autonomy among the residents. Rhode island hospital is known for a extremely busy trauma service. The program director and chair are resident friendly. Program has capacity to expand to 3 residents and they do plan on doing so soon. Providence is a great place to live close to boston very cultural.

Do you know if it's very competitive?

One of my main concerns is finding out if these programs have health benefits for both the resident and spouse and kids - we are going to need that in a couple of months!!

Not sure about these two programs, but you can usually just do a little research online to find out about the benefits for residents on any program. In general(not 100% of the time), the health insurance benefits will be the same for all residency programs in a hospital. So, if you can't find out from the ophtho website, look into the medicine or surgery website at the same program and often times you can find the health benefits listed for the residents.

luxpara said:
I haven't seen anything on Scut or here about what people think for Brown's residency program - any opinions?

Also, what do people think of OHSU?

I appreciate it!!

I found out a lot about the OHSU program through scutwork.com, and I recommend taking a look at those reviews. When I applied for ophthalmology, I was lucky enough to be offered interviews from the top programs across the country, and I almost didn't go to my OHSU/Casey interview, because I didn't know much about it. Lucky for me, someone on this forum convinced me to go. It is an unbelievable training program, with a gorgeous facility, collegial doctors, interesting pathology, lots of surgical experience, fantastic lectures, a reasonable schedule, and it's in a surprisingly beautiful city. I fell in love with the program and to my pleasant surprise, I matched there.

We started clinic last week, and Casey is everything I was promised! They take great care of their residents (who are all incredibly bright, nice, and motivated), and they gave all of us laptop computers! Today was my first day in surgery (cataract), and I already did a retrobulbar block, 4 paracentesises and a clear corneal incision. Lucky thing we already had wet lab in our own ORs, so I had a chance to practice before-hand with the scopes and tools. They even give us our own surgical instruments and free eye tissue any time we want to practice.

I'm glad that Ophthalmology Times recognizes it as one of the top 10 programs in the US for training - it deserves to be recognized for the amount of energy they invest into their residents. It's a great place to be and I highly recommend applying here.

luxpara said:
Do you know if it's very competitive?

One of my main concerns is finding out if these programs have health benefits for both the resident and spouse and kids - we are going to need that in a couple of months!!

Forgot to mention: At OHSU, there are a few medical and dental plans to choose from, and you can have your family covered. There may be extra cost associated with this, but I don't know the details of this. I'm sure if you called the GME office, they could tell you what the contract is (it may even be online). All programs are required to furnish this type of information for you, so don't be afraid to ask!

Photon Catchers said:
Forgot to mention: At OHSU, there are a few medical and dental plans to choose from, and you can have your family covered. There may be extra cost associated with this, but I don't know the details of this. I'm sure if you called the GME office, they could tell you what the contract is (it may even be online). All programs are required to furnish this type of information for you, so don't be afraid to ask!

Thanks so much!! I use to live in Portland, and I'm not so sure I want to go back - but if my hubby gets into OHSU then it sounds like it's worth it!