BRS Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hasha100

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anybody use or is anybody currently using BRS Biochem? If so, do you recommend the 3rd edition by Marks or the newer 4th edition which is a combo of Biochem and Molecular Bio?

Members don't see this ad.

No question. If you want to go BRS for biochem, the new one is the one you want. They're basically two totally different books. The old one is old-school biochem - (almost like undergrad biochem?) heavy on pathways, structures, etc. and doesn't hit the clinical, integrative tissue-metabolism and mol bio stuff like the new book does.

I had read that there were a lot of mistakes in the 4th edition (according to amazon.com reviewers). did u find that this was true?

I had read that there were a lot of mistakes in the 4th edition (according to amazon.com reviewers). did u find that this was true?

I didn't find this to be true, but I can't say that I used this book exhaustively enough to deny the reports. I mostly used it for specific topics, but I'm pretty weak in biochem, so I doubt I'd notice the errors :D.

The 3rd edition biochem book should be fine.

Honestly, BRS biochem is above and beyond what you'll need for boards (i.e. USMLE). For COMLEX in particular, you can summarize all the biochem you need in this list of 10 enzymes (was told to a board prep class a few years ago... understand how they work, substrate/product, clinical significance if they are dysfunctional)...

1. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD)
2. HMG-CoA Reductase
3. Dihydrofolate Reductase
4. Gamma-Glutamyl Carboxylase ("Vitamin K Carboxylase")
5. Glucuronosyltransferase (Crigler-Najjar)
6. Methyl-Malonyl CoA Mutase
7. Homocysteine Methyl Transferase
8. Hexosaminidase A (Tay-Sachs)
9. HGPRT (HPRT) Hypoxanthine-0guanine
phosphoribsyltransferase (Lesch-Nyhan)
10. Branched-Chain Ketoacid Dehydrogenase (Maple Syrup Urine)

These 4 extras if you feel the need to study more:
Pyruvate Dehydrogenase
Galactose-1-Phosphate uridyltransferase
DNA Topoisomerase II
Medium Chain Acyl-Coa Dehydrogenase (MCAD)