Bryn Mawr/Goucher Postbac Linkage Sucess Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSox10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been raised in the past, but I don't see a lot of replies and thought I'd throw it out there.

Does anyone have any success stories about people (either themselves or their friends) who have successfully linked to Med School through postbac programs at Bryn Mawr of Goucher?

I'm trying to avoid a gap year if at all possible and already have a year of medical research at a top US hospital and volunteering experience through the PeaceCorps.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's a bunch of ppl on here who have linked. Also there's a girl at my top 25 school that applied in the open pool. She seems to have liked bm.

I know this question has been raised in the past, but I don't see a lot of replies and thought I'd throw it out there.

Does anyone have any success stories about people (either themselves or their friends) who have successfully linked to Med School through postbac programs at Bryn Mawr of Goucher?

I'm trying to avoid a gap year if at all possible and already have a year of medical research at a top US hospital and volunteering experience through the PeaceCorps.

Thanks!

I feel like there was a thread about this less than a month ago.

I successfully linked to my medical school from Bryn Mawr. Couldn't be happier with the decision to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply and I'm glad to hear people have successfully linked. I'm curious to know the percentages of people at these schools who have linked successfully (even if this is just anecdotally from your own class). I know that both schools boast a near 100% acceptance rate into Med School through linkage + standard admissions, yet I can find no such data regarding linkage alone.

I'm asking because I'm curious to know how much emphasis I should place on linkage programs when choosing a school. I am especially asking about linking to some of the top 25 schools at both programs.

It depends on the school.

Some schools, such as Penn, Jefferson and Rochester, accepted just about everyone who applied my year. Other schools, such as U of Chicago, accepted less than half.

The trends tend to stay the same, though specific numbers and percentages will obviously differ from year to year. Also, just because a student is accepted does not mean that student will matriculate. Most people achieve the necessary GPA, but the MCAT is challenging when you have to study for it while also studying for three finals and taking three labs.

It depends on any number of things, including how many people apply to link to each school. This year at Goucher, the two people who had to get their linkage applications in during the fall semester have both been accepted; the rest of us have been invited to interview in the next couple weeks. Not too sure about previous years, though I think almost everyone who has applied for a link has been accepted, but I know not everyone has made their linkage MCAT requirement.

One interesting thing for me has been how many people changed their minds about linking during the fall semester. In August, there were about 10 of us all looking at the same school, but when January came along, only one person ended up applying there. I think we have 10 total applying to link this year.

NewmansOwn and EJS1979, I really appreciate your insight into the chances of linking. It seems like there are a lot of variables almost out of my control (how many other people decide to link, how well I personally do on my MCATS). Not that I assumed linking was a "shoe-in", but I think I do have to be realistic in my chances.

Do you find there is more competition among schools that don't require an MCAT for the reasons described in previous posts (i.e Brown, Rochester, Dartmouth)?

Do you think there is more competition among the "top" schools? Or do people primarily base thier med school decisions on location, "fit", gut, etc as opposed to ranking?

Thanks!

Tell me, Eager McBeaver, what are the "top" schools?

The mature student selects his or her medical school based on, as you suggest, fit and some careful research about the curriculum, didactic style and ECs offered. If said chosen school happens to have garnered a high ranking in US News and World Report, then excellent -- the student can try this as a pickup line at the bar, or to impress his or her grandmother.

Competition is not necessarily any greater at the non-MCAT schools because, while a large number of students may be interested in these schools, the schools themselves do not require the MCAT because they really like BM postbacs -- thus, the majority tend to be accepted, even if large numbers apply.

NewmansOwn and EJS1979, I really appreciate your insight into the chances of linking. It seems like there are a lot of variables almost out of my control (how many other people decide to link, how well I personally do on my MCATS). Not that I assumed linking was a "shoe-in", but I think I do have to be realistic in my chances.

Do you find there is more competition among schools that don't require an MCAT for the reasons described in previous posts (i.e Brown, Rochester, Dartmouth)?

Do you think there is more competition among the "top" schools? Or do people primarily base thier med school decisions on location, "fit", gut, etc as opposed to ranking?

Thanks!

I linked from Goucher to my school and am really happy with my decision. I seem to remember it being difficult to find stats reflecting linkage success rates, but you can always try to ask when you interview. They may not keep separate records of that though. In my year, about 10 of us tried to link, and only one person failed to get the necessary score on her MCAT. She did the normal app cycle and got accepted to tons of schools, and is really happy with how things panned out.
If you want to avoid a glide year, you have a lot of options. Try to look at the Post Bac programs you're interested in, then research all the schools they link to. Choose your dream school, and go for it. The worst that will happen is you will have to apply with everybody else in the fall. Good luck!

I went into my year at Goucher assuming I would apply to link at one particular school, but after I visited it, it just didn't have that "ah-ha," comfortable sort of feel, and I realized that while it was great on paper, it wasn't for me. Then I went to visit a school that I wasn't particularly interested in and fell in love with it. I think that's how a lot of people go through the decision process. I actually have no idea where the school to which I'm applying sits in the "ratings."