Bryn Mawr Post-Bac - Grade Inflation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letitgo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone give me any info on Bryn Mawr's post-bac program, namely it's organic chemistry sequence? I remember reading in an old thread about the rampant grade inflation at Bryn Mawr, but it's long gone now. Is it impossible to get A's there because everyone is so competitive, or is the opposite true? Any info would be a huge help to me, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Bryn Mawr post-baccs have their own sections of the science classes. However, examinations are standardized across sections and they are graded on undergraduate curve. The theory is that its not fair to lump in over acheiving post-bacs with undergrads (thus hurting the undergrads), but also that it's not fair to lump a bunch of overacheivers together in fresh/soph level classes. The solution is to use the curve of the undergrads. The result is that the post-baccs tend to do very well, but you would expect them to.

It is not impossible to get As, however, most of the post-baccs work their tails off.

Ed

When I was visiting, I was told that the post-bac's almost all get A's, and they work hard to do it. So the curve wont hurt them.