Bryn Mawr v. Goucher Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool129

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of deciding between whether to go to Bryn Mawr or Goucher. Sorry if this has been posted before, but I'm really trying to get the best advice when deciding between the two schools. Both schools are super exciting and seem to have similar rates of getting students into med school. I know Bryn Mawr has more linkages, but Goucher has a smaller class size which may reduce the overall number of people who apply to linkages there.

Are there any significant differences in the instruction or students that I should be aware of? I honestly think either school would be amazing, which is why this decision is so hard. Any help would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey, did you just interview at both? If yes, can I PM you a question? Got mine coming up soon :)

I am currently in the process of deciding between whether to go to Bryn Mawr or Goucher. Sorry if this has been posted before, but I'm really trying to get the best advice when deciding between the two schools. Both schools are super exciting and seem to have similar rates of getting students into med school. I know Bryn Mawr has more linkages, but Goucher has a smaller class size which may reduce the overall number of people who apply to linkages there.

Are there any significant differences in the instruction or students that I should be aware of? I honestly think either school would be amazing, which is why this decision is so hard. Any help would be appreciated :)
Sorry I am unable to help you with your question but I would like to know how your interviews went with the both of them as I am applying to both of them. I would like to gain more insight into these programs as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was applying for postbac programs, I saw a post on SDN that said, “If you get the opportunity to go to Goucher, take it.” Hands down, that holds true today. That program, in 11 months, prepared me not only to get into a phenomenal medical school, but to laid an extraordinary foundation for med school success. I know people have had success at Bryn Mawr also, so this is just a bit more of a general take on the Goucher program, since that's where my experience lies...

First, the teaching itself is extremely well done. It’s an enormous task for any professor to teach all of the material that they need to in 11 months. The curriculum at Goucher is set up for nontraditional students. In a standard undergrad intro bio course, for example, you may spend two weeks on photosynthesis. At Goucher, you spend less than an hour on it. It is important to understand the process for a well-rounded science education, but it is not important to your future as a medical student/physician. On the other hand, you’ll go into far more depth on metabolic processes than you would in any standard intro bio class. This is foundational material for the MCAT and, just as importantly, for medical school success. That is one of countless examples. The biology curriculum is absolutely one of the strengths of the program. And I will say that the teachers I had at Goucher, across the board, were the best professors I had in any undergraduate coursework. They are dedicated to helping you succeed. They had open office hours and were willing to meet outside of those times – literally always. There’s a TA dedicated to supporting students in tutoring and who runs an MCAT class. At the same time, I will clarify that the impetus is on the student to learn the material. The majority of learning/encoding of the material occurs outside of class. A successful postbac student has to understand that completing, and doing well, in all the coursework required for medical school within 11 months is going to be a very challenging process. It requires an immense amount of hard work, the willingness to proactively seek out help, and to be honest in evaluating what is working/what is not in your habits and study processes. The program does as much as possible, and students must work hard to succeed. But if you come in with that willingness, then the Goucher program is really known for getting you to the finish line. The students are traditionally super collaborative, which is extremely encouraged by the professors, advisors, program staff, etc. So there's definitely a lot more personal attention at Goucher than anywhere I've ever seen.

The teaching and curriculum are clear strengths, but the primary thing that makes the Goucher program stand out is the advising. When I was looking at postbac programs, I wanted a program that was a one-year program, and I wanted a program where I would be surrounded by other nontraditional, nice students. I did get both of those things. What I did not realize then, and am unspeakably grateful for now, was the strength of the advising process. The Program Director at Goucher has been doing this for 19 years. The track record of admissions success to top-tier medical schools is a testament to her expertise. You begin meeting with the advisors in the summer when you arrive in order to discuss volunteer options for the year. In my experience, the director and assistant director were interested in supporting not only what would “look good” on my application, but more importantly what I was interested to do every week in the community. During the school year, the Program Director holds weekly meetings for the class. One week you will discuss the personal statement. Another week you will discuss the AMCAS experiences list. And so on and so forth. They cover every topic. She gives a suggested timeline for sending your application materials to her for proofreading. Again, it is up to the student to be proactive in completing these tasks within the timeframe. But if you do so, you will be successful. I had multiple meetings in person with the program director at various points throughout the year to brainstorm, and then to workshop all the portions of my AMCAS. It’s literally impossible to overstate how helpful the advising is. And the advising is geared not just simply to getting you into medical school. It is geared toward grooming professional expectations that await you within medicine itself and helping you continue finding the things that interest you.

I will echo whole-heartedly what was said about the Goucher program when I was deciding on a postbac program: “If you get the opportunity to go to Goucher, take it.” I never imagined being able to accomplish everything that I did, but I trusted the process and the steps that were in place at Goucher, and it literally changed my life. My advice to anyone who gets in to Goucher is to make an honest evaluation of whether you’re willing to put in the work required to complete this in 11 months. And if you are, you can find no better place than Goucher to do so.

Reactions: 1 users
Can affirm all of these points (hey, fellow Gopher). I was so relieved to arrive at Goucher and discover how supportive my classmates, alumni, faculty, and postbac staff were. The year was incredibly intense - but with all of these people who want you to succeed, it at no point felt unmanageable. I’m applying in the current cycle and don’t feel that I could be better prepared academically or logistically.

Re: Goucher vs. Bryn Mawr: you’ll get a great education at both, I am sure. The key differences are linkages available (Bryn Mawr has a few more) and cohort size (Goucher’s is around 30, and I think Bryn Mawr’s is around 90). For me, the tradeoff was 100% worthwhile - I loved the smaller class sizes and getting to know my classmates very well. I was also drawn to Goucher because the culture seemed to (and does) place a high value upon humility, discipline, a commitment to social justice, and a collaborative nature.

When I was applying for postbac programs, I saw a post on SDN that said, “If you get the opportunity to go to Goucher, take it.” Hands down, that holds true today. That program, in 11 months, prepared me not only to get into a phenomenal medical school, but to laid an extraordinary foundation for med school success. I know people have had success at Bryn Mawr also, so this is just a bit more of a general take on the Goucher program, since that's where my experience lies...

First, the teaching itself is extremely well done. It’s an enormous task for any professor to teach all of the material that they need to in 11 months. The curriculum at Goucher is set up for nontraditional students. In a standard undergrad intro bio course, for example, you may spend two weeks on photosynthesis. At Goucher, you spend less than an hour on it. It is important to understand the process for a well-rounded science education, but it is not important to your future as a medical student/physician. On the other hand, you’ll go into far more depth on metabolic processes than you would in any standard intro bio class. This is foundational material for the MCAT and, just as importantly, for medical school success. That is one of countless examples. The biology curriculum is absolutely one of the strengths of the program. And I will say that the teachers I had at Goucher, across the board, were the best professors I had in any undergraduate coursework. They are dedicated to helping you succeed. They had open office hours and were willing to meet outside of those times – literally always. There’s a TA dedicated to supporting students in tutoring and who runs an MCAT class. At the same time, I will clarify that the impetus is on the student to learn the material. The majority of learning/encoding of the material occurs outside of class. A successful postbac student has to understand that completing, and doing well, in all the coursework required for medical school within 11 months is going to be a very challenging process. It requires an immense amount of hard work, the willingness to proactively seek out help, and to be honest in evaluating what is working/what is not in your habits and study processes. The program does as much as possible, and students must work hard to succeed. But if you come in with that willingness, then the Goucher program is really known for getting you to the finish line. The students are traditionally super collaborative, which is extremely encouraged by the professors, advisors, program staff, etc. So there's definitely a lot more personal attention at Goucher than anywhere I've ever seen.

The teaching and curriculum are clear strengths, but the primary thing that makes the Goucher program stand out is the advising. When I was looking at postbac programs, I wanted a program that was a one-year program, and I wanted a program where I would be surrounded by other nontraditional, nice students. I did get both of those things. What I did not realize then, and am unspeakably grateful for now, was the strength of the advising process. The Program Director at Goucher has been doing this for 19 years. The track record of admissions success to top-tier medical schools is a testament to her expertise. You begin meeting with the advisors in the summer when you arrive in order to discuss volunteer options for the year. In my experience, the director and assistant director were interested in supporting not only what would “look good” on my application, but more importantly what I was interested to do every week in the community. During the school year, the Program Director holds weekly meetings for the class. One week you will discuss the personal statement. Another week you will discuss the AMCAS experiences list. And so on and so forth. They cover every topic. She gives a suggested timeline for sending your application materials to her for proofreading. Again, it is up to the student to be proactive in completing these tasks within the timeframe. But if you do so, you will be successful. I had multiple meetings in person with the program director at various points throughout the year to brainstorm, and then to workshop all the portions of my AMCAS. It’s literally impossible to overstate how helpful the advising is. And the advising is geared not just simply to getting you into medical school. It is geared toward grooming professional expectations that await you within medicine itself and helping you continue finding the things that interest you.

I will echo whole-heartedly what was said about the Goucher program when I was deciding on a postbac program: “If you get the opportunity to go to Goucher, take it.” I never imagined being able to accomplish everything that I did, but I trusted the process and the steps that were in place at Goucher, and it literally changed my life. My advice to anyone who gets in to Goucher is to make an honest evaluation of whether you’re willing to put in the work required to complete this in 11 months. And if you are, you can find no better place than Goucher to do so.

Does anyone have any notes on which programs are need-blind/offer more favorable financing options for low-income students? Asking for a friend...

I know it's an investment, but I still get sticker-shock when I think about all the loans I'll have to take out for this endeavour.

RE: Linkages
I think you could compare the two programs using a traditional payoff matrix to help you consider factors that might drive the process and subsequently to select your dominant or preferred strategy. For privacy and brevity's sake, I cannot do a deep dive on what this would look like exactly for someone, but I might consider: inputs/outputs, cooperation/defection, risk preferences, effort level, etc. Furthermore, you could get creative with how you model your second party (e.g., peers, admin, adcom, etc.). PM me if you're really curious. On one hand, Goucher had a "transparent" policy about students sharing among each other linkage ambitions which I genuinely found refreshing and helpful. On the other hand, one can never know how others may utilize that broadcasted information regardless of your consent. Also, Goucher students made attempts to form pre-linkage "interest groups" which I thought was a little contrived and generally not useful..idk maybe coordinating transit? I have heard BM's linkage process is not "transparent" as described.

Pro-tip: Ask politely if the school or any current students are willing to share the linkage requirement fact sheet with you! This is most certainly a thing; linkage is after all a contract or unbreakable vow, as it were ;-) At Goucher, we received hard-copies of this document with strange and surreptitious ceremony. At BM, I received a copy in the mail and online I think directly after I was admitted. I think they're identical, but I can't recall in truth.

Lastly, my experience was not one of jovial collaboration among peers, but I did observe this to be true for the majority of other students. I agree Goucher values humility and discipline, but the line was blurry between academic and social/behavioral discipline. For example, I arrived early to campus one morning to meet with a professor to reschedule a biology exam due to illness. Because the exam had already begun, I had to wait in the corridor for an available opportunity to present my doctor's note. I chose to fill my time before the next class by reviewing our professor's organic videos on my laptop in the empty corridor. Coincidentally, the program director arrived in media res and immediately began lecturing me about playing music in the hall or whatever and how distracting it could be from standing approx. 50 feet away from me. The examinees were even farther down the corridor with the door closed maybe 100'. I strongly doubt my 13" Air could project sound so well; nevertheless, I offered to use headphones. In preceding months, I had witnessed several peers cackling loudly in the same corridor in the afternoon without incident. Otherwise, totally a commitment to social justice. Uppityness is indeed frowned upon.

Last edited: