This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. The college I attend has a BS course for premed students. Is it worth taking? It's two credits and it's considered a "GPA booster". I just don't know if it's worth it. Id be taking it next semester. Next semester I'll be taking
Bio
Bio Lab
Orgo 2
Neuroscience class
Genetics
Physics Lab and Physics II Lab

Is it worth to take this course? Note: it is not a Med school prerequisite and it is not a requirement for my
Major. It's just an easy course and I want to add that it is the first of a couple courses that gives students a "premed certificate". I personally don't think it's worth it but I could be wrong. What do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. The college I attend has a BS course for premed students. Is it worth taking? It's two credits and it's considered a "GPA booster". I just don't know if it's worth it. Id be taking it next semester. Next semester I'll be taking
Bio
Bio Lab
Orgo 2
Neuroscience class
Genetics

Is it worth to take this course? Note: it is not a Med school prerequisite and it is not a requirement for my
Major. It's just an easy course and I want to add that it is the first of a couple courses that gives students a "premed certificate". I personally don't think it's worth it but I could be wrong. What do y'all think?
A "premed certificate" is of no value to you, so that's not a reason to take or not take the class.

What is the course content about? What is the course prefix number, like BS 101 or BS 255?

A "premed certificate" is of no value to you, so that's not a reason to take or not take the class.

What is the course content about? What is the course prefix number, like BS 101 or BS 255?

It's IDS 3000...

Members don't see this ad :)
What does IDS stand for (?Interdisciplinary Symposium, ?Infectious Disease Symposium)? What is the course description?

Interdisciplinary studies in science. You just learn about premed stuff, how to be a "good doctor", etc. all that stuff.

Interdisciplinary studies in science. You just learn about premed stuff, how to be a "good doctor", etc. all that stuff.
The course prefix number is high enough that it won't raise eyebrows, but based on the content (sounds more like humanistic studies), I doubt it would fall under BCPM GPA and will likely just boost your cGPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Bio
Bio Lab
Orgo 2
Neuroscience class
Genetics

That looks like a really intense schedule... Do you really need Genetics and a Neuroscience class on top of Bio with lab simultaneously? Seems unnecessary.

The course prefix number is high enough that it won't raise eyebrows, but based on the content (sounds more like humanistic studies), I doubt it would fall under BCPM GPA and will likely just boost your cGPA.

Oh yeah for sure not included in BCPM. No way lol. But yeah it's just a cGPA booster. No idea if I shoul take it or not. What do you think?

Oh yeah for sure not included in BCPM. No way lol. But yeah it's just a cGPA booster. No idea if I shoul take it or not. What do you think?
I have no problem with it. But I do share MareNostrummm's concern about the intensity of the rest of your selections, especially if you'll have three or more labs in total.

Reactions: 1 user
I've taken plenty of BS courses.

Last semester, I took a course on how to evaluate research, data, and evidence. It was more like "Hey, so correlation =/= causation. Ghosts aren't real, psychics aren't real, and magic isn't real. People have cognitive biases, here is a list, be conscious of them." We did an entire unit on online dating/social media lol. Exam questions consisted of things like "True or false: Inductive reasoning is the same as deductive reasoning". One of the essay questions was "What should I add to this course next semester?" Looking back on it, I did learn a lot about cognitive biases, but my god, was it easy. I'm now taking a history class where the average grade given out is a 3.98/4.0.

I feel like I deserve these BS classes, because I've had some classes that were so hard, it was BS. My intro to sociology class took 25-30 hours a week of studying to do well (read two entire textbooks, four 50 question pop quizzes, final exam 250 questions, etc.) There are some overly difficult professors at every campus, but I hands down believe I took the most difficult intro socio class in the world.

Wow. Lol maybe I'll consider taking it then. Why not. It's an easy a** class

I have no problem with it. But I do share MareNostrummm's concern about the intensity of the rest of your selections, especially if you'll have three or more labs in total.

True. Maybe I'll take out the two Physics Labs then. Everything else I gotta keep.