[BS/DMD] Case vs. Stony (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arkyluky

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently making a tough decision between these two dental programs. I'd heavily appreciate any advice or help you can give.
Some general info: Both programs require students to maintain an average gpa of 3.5 and score an average of 18 or higher on the DAT.

Case
Pros:
  • 7-year program
  • Higher rating
  • Brand new campus and facilities (Samson Pavilion is beautiful)
  • Pass/Fail
  • Amazing rotation sites (University Hospital, Cleveland Clinic, Metro, VA)
  • Diverse student body
  • Top tier matches
Cons:
  • Expensive (about 170k more)
  • Location: Cleveland is dangerous city without a good public transportation system
  • Very far from home (around 8 hr)
  • Test weeks are every 2-3 months, which could potentially lead to a lot of stress.
  • Slightly larger class size (75)

Stony
Pros:
  • Significantly cheaper
  • Very high specialization rate
  • Smaller class size (44)
Cons:
  • 8-year program
  • Want to change my environment. I know a few of the students attending from my high school and just want to have a more independent college experience
  • Dreary facilities, classes are disconnected between Med and dental buildings.
  • Not very diverse (about 41/44 are in state)
If it weren't for the cost difference I would immediately choose Case. I like the campus and student body much more, and I feel that case has significantly better affiliations/ research opportunities, all while allowing me to save a year. However, I'm not sure if this justifies the 170k difference in costs and moving away so far from home.

Members don't see this ad.

Stony. COST should be the only factor.

DS is tough anywhere you go. After 4 years, you will get the same degree. What separates you from other recent dental graduates will be your student debt load.

Seriously, goto stony

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user