BS in pharmaceutical science,please advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annette22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So ,If I go ahead and finish a Bs in pharmaceutical science.Will I have to do another 4 years to get a PHARM D.Are there any options for people in this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, Pharm. Science is different from a Pharm.D. In order to be considered a Pharmacist you will need to get a Pharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. said:
Yes, Pharm. Science is different from a Pharm.D. In order to be considered a Pharmacist you will need to get a Pharm.D.
thanks for replying.I see most of the classes are the same with the exception of the clinical aspect.So will I have to go back and take all the classes again for 4 years or could it be shorter.Pardon my ignorance

Yes, you will have to take them. In a few cases you can test out of some of the 1st year basic science classes. The classes may have similar titles to other classes you've taken, but they teach the material as its related to pharmacy, not just general science.

You'll find that ~50% of the students in pharmacy school have a previous BS degree (varies a lot school to school), so you'll be in good company.